ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sports Cat Vs Ebay Cat

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Hi, I've stripped the Cat off my 182 as the previous MOT said it had a leak and it was covered in exhaust paste. Anyway after an absolute night mare getting it off, I think the leak was down to 75% of the gasket missing but I think the Cat is goosed anyway. Exhaust paste on the brick inside, pipe badly welded onto it and the flange to manifold is bent since new by looks. I don't want to decat it so looking for alternative Cat options since OEM ones are daft money. Does anyone recommend any of the Ebay Cats or should I get a sports cat like a KTec one.

One I've took off looks like a cheap Ebay one RE6051T marked on it.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Following, I have an eBay cat and it scraped through the MoT emissions last time, but I’d love a proper aftermarket alternative…if there is such a thing. The KTEC sports car only has a 6 month warranty which suggests how confident they are in their own product

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I ended up going for a Magnaflow universal 200 cell cat, and had it welded to a 182 Milltek decat I got on eBay. At the time the decat cost me £35, and the cat was about £75. Then just paid someone to weld it up. Sold the original cat for £450 too.

Prices of the parts have increased quite a bit since, and scrap value has fluctuated quite a bit too, but seems decent at the minute, as i scrapped a couple a few months ago for £410 each.

The Magnaflow cat had the best warranty I could find at the time, something like lifetime, but limited to X number of miles. As mentioned above ktec only offer a 6 month warranty, so guessing it's just a cheap Chinese cat like the £40 ebay one made up to fit a clio and ktaxed.

Unfortunately, I only ended up doing one mot with it. It passed fine, the numbers weren't quite as good as the old original, but I sold the car before the next mot was due, so can't comment on long term effectiveness.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My eBay cat easily made 4 years of MOT tests. Covered probably 10 miles or so, but who's counting??

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Looks like KTEC offer 12 months now. still not great though

1651004040413.png

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
Following as I'm in this position at the moment, as mine had a decat on when I bought it. gt performance on eBay has a 172 cat pipe for about £210 but then there's the import duty and if it fails the problem of returning etc.

Screenshot_20220426-212351.png

A local exhaust place wanted £250 to install a sports cat into my decat pipe.

As stated The ktec one is expensive and limited warranty.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So by the lack of any real different options we have
1) eBay CAT - short life span but cheap, likely restrictive
2) Ktec Cat - 12month warranty, chinese CAT in disguise, heard mixed reviews
3) Weld in Magnaflow CAT, not actually had any real world feedback other than people popping one in and out for MOT
4) PMS system - Expensive, looks to be the same weld in cat from Magnaflow

It’s all very interesting. People selling the OE Cats, it will be come more and more of a problem getting this mess cars through MOT’s at some point. If I had an OE cat on my car uid be keeping it…but even then they can’t last forever can they?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
3) Weld in Magnaflow CAT, not actually had any real world feedback other than people popping one in and out for MOT

It’s all very interesting. People selling the OE Cats, it will be come more and more of a problem getting this mess cars through MOT’s at some point. If I had an OE cat on my car uid be keeping it…but even then they can’t last forever can they?

In my old 182 the Magnaflow was fine on MOT #1 (albeit higher than a stock cat), it has then passed two more MOTs but needs to be roasting hot. The emissions start off high but with an extended test they do suddenly drop. Close to the limit though.

I only changed as the core on my stock cat rattled loose.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Nah they'll oxidise and fall apart eventually, you've also missed point 5.

5) Cheap cat in for the test, swapped for a Decat as soon as you've passed.

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Nah they'll oxidise and fall apart eventually, you've also missed point 5.

5) Cheap cat in for the test, swapped for a Decat as soon as you've passed.
not sure i'd fancy swapping them in and out. taking my old cat off was a nightmare. it just would not come out of the centre section

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sleeve it so it fits into the exhaust at the back of the car. Then just shove it in the end for MOT.

hth
It’s not the removal and refit, I just don’t really want to run the car without a CAT, given they just scrape through emissions with aftermarket CAT’s it would be likely illegal without one fitted. Plus the complications of declaring a decat to insurers. My last clio ran a decat, it also stank. I know that’s not for everyone, but I really would prefer to run a viable alternative to the OEM option. It looks like a Magnaflow is the only real option at present

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
They’ve emailed me back and said the flange isnt supposed to be square. Can anyone confirm?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Decats are just noisy and stink, mine used to give me a headache. Absolutely no advantage to having one fitted.

You just listed two advantages.

Seriously though, i loved the noise mine made with my old ktec system. Never noticed any smell issues inside the car, and not much difference outside the car either to be honest. Maybe you've got an exhaust leak getting in though the shifter?

You could always buy an original Cat, but it'll likely be £400+

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member

Seriously though, i loved the noise mine made with my old ktec system. Never noticed any smell issues inside the car, and not much difference outside the car either to be honest. Maybe you've got an exhaust leak getting in though the shifter?

You could always buy an original Cat, but it'll likely be £400+
But the my are also 20 years old, ain’t gonna last forever.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
But the my are also 20 years old, ain’t gonna last forever.
No reason they'll not last longer than a aftermarket one, and you'll be able to scrap it and get your money back assuming the metals inside are still worth good money at the time.

Once the aftermarket ones fail an mot, they're only good for the bin. So looking at it like that it £200 plus with £0 return, vs £400 but with a £400 return in the future. Effectively it's a free CAT long term if you sold it when you no longer needed it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup

It was the noise that gave me a headache. Constant droning is not good.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
It was the noise that gave me a headache. Constant droning is not good.

Mine didn't drone to be honest, so suspect that the combination of decat with your exhaust is the issue. My old scorpion used to drone with the original cat, so know the pain.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
reviving this thread and adding my 2 pence worth.

So my standard cat passed its mot on emissions but the flange was so badly corroded it wasn't sealing so failed its mot on that.

I made the decision (stupidly) to replace it with a K-Tec Racing sports cat, thinking itll free up the exhaust, be a little lighter and be road legal/pass mots

Wrong!

Massively failed its MOT on emissions, even with it red hot. With the pass being 0.2 and the ktec things best was 1.28!

Luckily my tester nursed it through for me but said it would have to be replaced for next years mot as it WILL fail.

Avoid KTEC sports cat as youd be no worse off with a decat and considerably less out of pocket.

On the ktec ad, it does say not for road use, but i assumed this would be down to noise, not failing mot emissions.

Just makes no sense to me to make a catalyst that cant pass an mot emissions....about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe tbh

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The KTec sports cat works fine, I had one on my 172 with ITBs and cams. Passed emissions with no issues.

It's a quality item made in Sweden, not china.

The same company make homologated cats for FIA use.

I have two of the same cats fitted on my E46 M3 too.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The KTec sports cat works fine, I had one on my 172 with ITBs and cams. Passed emissions with no issues.

It's a quality item made in Sweden, not china.

The same company make homologated cats for FIA use.

I have two of the same cats fitted on my E46 M3 too.
Yet a massive fail on the MOT despite getting the thing red hot, and showing 5 times the upper pass limit so not even a close fail 🤷

I'm not the only one either, as I discovered post purchase.

From my experience, I'd advise anyone thinking of buying a ktec sports cat to stay clear as the majority (including myself) who've bought and fitted them have had them fail emissions.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yet a massive fail on the MOT despite getting the thing red hot, and showing 5 times the upper pass limit so not even a close fail 🤷

I'm not the only one either, as I discovered post purchase.

From my experience, I'd advise anyone thinking of buying a ktec sports cat to stay clear as the majority (including myself) who've bought and fitted them have had them fail emissions.
Could you get any reference numbers off it?

I'm intrigued to know if they've changed supplier to a cheaper one.

Also depends how well the cars are running, if they're overfueling and running rich then they will fail.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Could you get any reference numbers off it?

I'm intrigued to know if they've changed supplier to a cheaper one.

Also depends how well the cars are running, if they're overfueling and running rich then they will fail.
Car was mapped by Chris at EFI after it's turbo conversion....AFRs are bob on.

I'll see if I can pull some numbers off of it, but after spending a few hours swapping the cats out, I'm not too keen to get back under there too soon lol

Tractorboy

ClioSport Club Member
This is quite interesting as I brought a ktec sports cat earlier this year for my 172.

When I brought mine I purchased the “euro 4 “ sports cat which wasn’t in stock and took around 10 weeks to turn up. When I complained to ktec about the hold up they offered me the “race/euro 2” cat which was in stock and to refund me the difference.

when I questioned if that “race” cat would pass an MOT he said “not likely”. He told me to wait for the cat had ordered if I wanted that. I declined and waited another 4 weeks. I’ve noticed on their website they don’t offer the choice of cats anymore. Strange.

wasn’t emission tested unfortunately after fitting. Be interesting to see if it passes now.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This is quite interesting as I brought a ktec sports cat earlier this year for my 172.

When I brought mine I purchased the “euro 4 “ sports cat which wasn’t in stock and took around 10 weeks to turn up. When I complained to ktec about the hold up they offered me the “race/euro 2” cat which was in stock and to refund me the difference.

when I questioned if that “race” cat would pass an MOT he said “not likely”. He told me to wait for the cat had ordered if I wanted that. I declined and waited another 4 weeks. I’ve noticed on their website they don’t offer the choice of cats anymore. Strange.

wasn’t emission tested unfortunately after fitting. Be interesting to see if it passes now.
I have emailed them to express my disappointment in what effectively seems to be a very expensive silenced decat more than anything.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
They're traders on here aren't they? Be good if they could explain their reasoning.

I presume it's down to cars in races that require a cat to meet the regs so it's the most free-flowing they can get away with

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
They're traders on here aren't they? Be good if they could explain their reasoning.

I presume it's down to cars in races that require a cat to meet the regs so it's the most free-flowing they can get away with
I've dropped them a DM to get their take on it

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Louis, I think I would (if it were me) check out Jetex catalysts.

They sell a range and seem to be one of the few aftermarket companies who give emissions testing data. They also sell euro 4 approved with emark versions. Not sure on their warranty. their standard fit catalysts (approved, not sure if 200cell) they give a 3 year on which seems alright.

The universal ones look very easy to have modified with vbands etc.