ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo Issues

Clio Sport mk2
Right I have a mk2 clio sport. And the speedo sometimes doesn't work. The guy I bought the car off said the speedo was working for 5 days then he drove I and it just went now before I rip out the dash I wanted to ask you guys if you have any ideas on what it could be
Thank you

Cup, Lude & Z
Does it on my cup when I'm on the motorway mostly. Speedo sensor I've been told, might need a clean or replacing but I think there about 13 pounds from what I have read.

Have a search on the forum bud quite a few posts about it.

Clio 172
For what it's worth, Renparts do a brand new genuine one on ebay for 15 odd quid, iv just ordered one for me!

1.2 16v
If you go about changing this on your own, could you post up a guide with pics? Always useful for people not In the know how :) ..... Like myself hahah.

Clio 172
If anyone wants to know how to change it, here you go:

Look towards back of engine/gearbox/behind air box, and look down. It's on the top left hand side of the box.

Removal:
(May have to remove engine cover, I did it fine but caught my arm on it a few times)
Unplug the plug (there's a clip on the side)
Pull the plug off
Pull the sensor out (needs a fair old tug as its clipped in)
Be careful as there is a little bit of gearbox oil on there end of it.

Fitting:
New one pushes straight into the hole, plug goes back on top of it. Again, little bit of force as It clips in.

I found the plug fits any way you put it, but the pin layout will only let it go one way (there's 2 pins on one side, one on the other), line them up and bobs your uncle. Give it a little tug to make sure it's all secure.

Easy as that. Soon as you see the sensor you will understand anyway, it's really clear and easy. Took me 2 minutes, longest part was lining up the plug again.

02 Iceberg 172
And there's a silver heatshield that clips onto the sensor to help protect it from the heat of the manifold, so don't forget to put it back on otherwise you'll probably need another speedo sensor fairly soon lol...

Clio 172
On my clio 172, the speedo is inaccurate. 25mph'ish on the speedo is 30/32mph. Would this be the speed sensor what everyone is talking about or something else ??

many thanks

Clio 172
And there's a silver heatshield that clips onto the sensor to help protect it from the heat of the manifold, so don't forget to put it back on otherwise you'll probably need another speedo sensor fairly soon lol...

Ooooh, mine didn't have that!

02 Iceberg 172
On my clio 172, the speedo is inaccurate. 25mph'ish on the speedo is 30/32mph. Would this be the speed sensor what everyone is talking about or something else ??

many thanks

That is a lot to be out by at that speed, even allowing for 'manufacturer tolerance'. Do you have different wheel/tyre combination to stock - a larger rolling diameter will throw out the speedo although over 20% would be extreme.

Usually for this speedo issue the symptom is an erratic speedo needle...

Ooooh, mine didn't have that!

See if you can pick one up from somewhere - wreckers etc - certainly can't hurt to have it on...

Clio 172
That is a lot to be out by at that speed, even allowing for 'manufacturer tolerance'. Do you have different wheel/tyre combination to stock - a larger rolling diameter will throw out the speedo although over 20% would be extreme.

Usually for this speedo issue the symptom is an erratic speedo needle...

I did the fault code procedure where you hold in the button on the end of the wiper stalk and then the speedo does its set routine. The rev counter stops on every whole value (10, 20, 30 etc), should the speedo itself stop on Round numbers ? It stopped on 25 45 75 115 135 & 155. Is this usual ?

Clio 172
I did the fault code procedure where you hold in the button on the end of the wiper stalk and then the speedo does its set routine. The rev counter stops on every whole value (10, 20, 30 etc), should the speedo itself stop on Round numbers ? It stopped on 25 45 75 115 135 & 155. Is this usual ?

Nope! It should stop on all whole values. Sounds like someone's had the spindle off yours and didn't put it back properly