ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speedline 2118s what spacers and bolts?

Radical SR3
I have a set of cup racer 2118s for my 172 Cup and they 'just' clear the 4 pot willwoods on the front but are only about 4mm clear of the kw struts up front. Im thinking of spacers and know I need hubcentrics but do you think 10mm a side would suffice? I havent checked on clearance turning the steering wheel. Maybe 5mm a side with stock bolts would be enough?

Anyone any thoughts? If I do need longer bolts...where from?

Was only thinking of spacing the fronts as the rears are fine.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Avoid the JJC ones, they are soft as s**t and will have your steering wobling in no time. Have them on my car, need to change for some FK's or H&R's.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I believe if your using standard bolts then 5mm spacers is the max recommended. Any more than that and I'd look at longer bolt type spacers or a bolt to hub spacer if your keeping your standard bolts.

What offset are your 2118s? Stick with a branded name like eibach, h&r's, fk for spacers if your going more than 5mm. Myldan on here in the traders section offer decent spacers aswell.

Radical SR3
Bugger already bought them. Why does being soft as s**t lead to wobble? Are you saying the material deforms under load?

Surely machined alloy is relatively standard in terms of strength. ...just interested in understanding the problem.

Can you wait till the weekend?

I've got same offset cup racer wheels on mine with same 4 pot wilwoods and the same KW suspension

I can only get -2.5degrees of camber then the tyre touches the strut

I've just bought 20mm FK spacers - they bolt to hub and then you bolt wheel to the spacer
Looking at the room on the car they should fit fine with -2.5 or -3 degrees of camber.
I'm going to post before and after shots at the weekend :)

Oh just seen you've already bought them :(

I wouldn't fit 16mm spacers with extended bolts for a track car - I'd stick to bolt-to-hub hubcentric spacers

Will JJC take them back?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeah i think the alloy they use is just too soft, heard a few other people have had issues with them. Same as the Demon Tweeks ones as they are the same spacers.

Im of the opposite opinion, I would say extended bolts/studs are safer if they are of good quality and are high tensile. The stud bolt will be much stronger than the alloy spacer. If you used bolt to hub alloy spacers on a rally car you would be risking loosing a wheel.

Cup In bits
Agreed, bolt to hub type of spacer has 4 more failing points than your standard by hub centric type. Obviously fitting 25mm or 40mm bolt to hub Is much safer at that sort of widths.

Radical SR3
Thanks guys. I will stick with the hubcentrics...not really happy that I have to fit spacers at all but needs must. Theyre not light are they?!