ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spare Key Transponder > Car Alarm / Immobiliser / Central Locking Interaction Problem

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my spare key only for my Clio 2 182 Trophy. My main key works exactly as expected.

The spare key looks like it has never been used. The red light on the key still functioned but the car would not respond to key presses on the key. I replaced the battery in the key as a precaution but no change.
The key will unlock the passenger door in the lock, but of course opening the door causes the alarm to go off. The key turns in the ignition, but of course the engine will not start since the immobiliser is still enabled.
(I presume it is normal for the central locking not to work when turning the key in the passenger door or this might be a separate issue with just my car?)

Long shot: I read somewhere to try removing the central locking fuse for 10 secs and it could reset everything but maybe I misunderstood their problem. This obviously did not work.
I thought maybe removing a fuse for the immobiliser or alarm would be more likely but I do not have one and expect that would be a security issue anyway if it was so easy to disable / circumvent the alarm / immobiliser.

I called Renault and of course they have no idea unless I bring the car in.
Just wondered if there is something obvious and maybe easy to fix this problem without taking it anywhere?

TIA!

Many.
Re: Spare Key Transponder > Car Alarm / Immobiliser / Central Locking Interaction Pro

Key needs programming, sounds like it was either replaced and not programmed, or the board has broken.

Where abouts are you?

Re: Spare Key Transponder > Car Alarm / Immobiliser / Central Locking Interaction Pro

Thanks Alex.

Annoyingly I cannot remember if it has ever worked.
I wonder if the last owner could have just replaced it but not reprogrammed it.

I'm in Watford, Herts.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

As above, it's most likely unassigned to a vehicle but CLIP will tell you this.

Thanks Mic,

And that means a trip to the stealers, right?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Depends where you're based but it needs to go to someone who can code keys

I bought a key brand new from Renault and was told that as it was a virgin key it would assign itself and the car wouldn't need plugging in. Key won't start the car though so they must have been wrong!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

*Some* new keys (when ordered to VIN) come pre-coded but *most* require access to the vehicles secure coding section via CLIP to tell the car to allow the key. Self coding keys they said... that's properly secure

I bought a key brand new from Renault and was told that as it was a virgin key it would assign itself and the car wouldn't need plugging in. Key won't start the car though so they must have been wrong!

LOL!!!