ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound Bars

Octavia vRS
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at getting a sound bar and moving away from my surround sound setup. Just want something neat and tidy But also good sound quality. Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at the Yamaha 2200.

Cheers
Rob

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I have to admit I'm massivley impressed with the Bose one. It's on my to buy list when I move for the living room

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Just been looking to buy a tv and noticed an offer on the Bose sound box £100 off?? Did a quick search and first review gave it 3star out of 5...? Not that I read the review or even if it a decent review but just carried on looking at tv's...

are new tv's with built in wifi connectable to devices like soundbars through the wireless?? I know they usually sit directly under the tv but in a case where it wouldn't be I couldn't be bothered to take off skirting etc to plumb new cables in

My brother has a LG sound bar and sub. The sound quality is really good but it just doesn't produce the same effect as surround sound. But the positive is that it takes up much less space.

No you can't connect via wifi however most sounds bars you can connect via bluetooth.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Sound bars aren't really ment to be a replacement for surround sound. They're more an upgrade of the original tv speakers. Which are poo

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'm really liking my brothers Sonos Playbar with wireless sub. He's pretty much got his whole house linked up via the Sonos bridge stuff.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really liking my brothers Sonos Playbar with wireless sub. He's pretty much got his whole house linked up via the Sonos bridge stuff.

Seen adverts for that latey. Really like the idea, and really tempted tbh. Is it expensive stuff?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Seen adverts for that latey. Really like the idea, and really tempted tbh. Is it expensive stuff?

Not sure what he paid for the sound bar alone (quick google suggests about £600 for the bar plus extra for the sub) he's well in to the thousands with each room linked and the speakers installed though.

I'm looking for a sound bar at the moment! Started off with a £100 budget but being told I need to spend £250ish to get anything worthwhile :( Anyone have any experience around that price point?

Thanks

I was looking last year for the living room, in the end I decided nothing gave a good enough kick, so I went with surround sound. I got a Samsung set up (same as the TV) and very had a ton off of it, so it was about the same price as the sound bars I was looking it.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking last year for the living room, in the end I decided nothing gave a good enough kick, so I went with surround sound. I got a Samsung set up (same as the TV) and very had a ton off of it, so it was about the same price as the sound bars I was looking it.

I have a Samsung SS its cheap and s**t, I've never had a good Samsung product :(

Yaris Hybrid
A decent smaller 2.0/2.1 will always be better and leave more room to upgrade easily tbh.

I'd get that Onkyo HT-X22HDX 2.1 system where you can buy the centre and rear speakers later.

Much better than a sound bar of similar price IMO.

Having tried a Soundbar I did like that it saved a bit of space but was left bitterly disappointed because whilst better than your TV speakers it is still lame compared to a surround system. My Soundbar had a separate sub thing so really it took up more space than that Onkyo system when all things were considered.

Someone said they had a budget of £250, well you can get the Onkyo for that.

No idea how things compare when you start talking about £500 to £1000 but at £200 to £250 I know where my money would be.

A4 Avant
If you have no alternate then sound bars obviously beats tv speakers. £ for £ though I'm yet to find a sound bar that matched a proper surround setup.

I'd suggest going to a local AV store and see if you can have a listen to a few setups to compare the difference.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If you have no alternate then sound bars obviously beats tv speakers. £ for £ though I'm yet to find a sound bar that matched a proper surround setup.

I'd suggest going to a local AV store and see if you can have a listen to a few setups to compare the difference.

They're not made to match a proper SS setup. They may be advertised that way but your never going to have a sound bar that good £ for £.

Yamaha YAS-101. Epic.

You can pick them up for £169 on ebay, girlfriends parents have one and it's got a lot of bass for a sound bar!
Buying one for our house soon

I'd get that Onkyo HT-X22HDX 2.1 system where you can buy the centre and rear speakers later.

Much better than a sound bar of similar price IMO.

Having tried a Soundbar I did like that it saved a bit of space but was left bitterly disappointed because whilst better than your TV speakers it is still lame compared to a surround system. My Soundbar had a separate sub thing so really it took up more space than that Onkyo system when all things were considered.

Someone said they had a budget of £250, well you can get the Onkyo for that.

No idea how things compare when you start talking about £500 to £1000 but at £200 to £250 I know where my money would be.

Another vote for the Onkyo 2.1 system I bought one 3-4 years ago and then 2 years ago when we moved house upgraded it to 5.1 with the extra speakers.
great bit of kit.

182 Cup
We got an LG sound at and wireless sub with our TV 'free'. Miles and miles better than normal sound.
Only issue is it's another remote with a small child around. So I haven't seen the remote in months Flol

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
I bought an LG soundbar with wireless sub last weekend from Richer Sounds, very impressed with the sound quality for the price.