ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something went bang before, Oh S**T

Flame Red 172
Was casually driving along before and with no warning what so ever plooms of smoke came out of the back of the car and my car spat aload of metal out of the back

oil leaking everywhere or some sort of fluid, coming from the gearbox (or that general area) , so anyway pulled over car seemed to idle ok and no warning lights came on and neither did the oil light. found the parts that got chucked out the back and looks like a metal plate of some description and half of a cog ? I got the car towed to a garage anyway didnt want to drive it but it could drive but as soon as it went in gear there was some sort of metallic knocking coming from underneath the car but i could still change gear so cant be anything wrong with the gearbox

only thing i can think of is the driveshaft, ive recently had new cv boots done so dont know if that would have caused any problems at all ? Have to wait until the garage look at it tomorrow but it sounded expensive ohhh well the joys of owning a 9 year old car ey

Anybody hazard a guess ?

Last edited:
  Flame Red 172
Does that have anything to do with the cv boot because i only had them done last week ? do you think i could take them back to the garage and make them pay for the damage or am i just going to have to bear the brunt of it

thanks for replying though danny

Well they will have replaced the boots because they had split. If they had been split since the last time it was mot'd you could have done thousands of miles on the without any grease on the joints. Its too opened ended to blame on them. I wouldnt waste your breath. Just pay for a new driveshaft and ask them to check for knocking/play in the joint that they replaced the boot on.

iceberg 172
Well i presume the boot was split hence replacing it. If you dont know how long it was split then having no grease in it would have coused wear witch has probs made it go so not down to the garge.

Flame Red 172
Well they will have replaced the boots because they had split. If they had been split since the last time it was mot'd you could have done thousands of miles on the without any grease on the joints. Its too opened ended to blame on them. I wouldnt waste your breath. Just pay for a new driveshaft and ask them to check for knocking/play in the joint that they replaced the boot on.

Ok mate thanks alot for your help really appreciate it

Flame Red 172
Well i presume the boot was split hence replacing it. If you dont know how long it was split then having no grease in it would have coused wear witch has probs made it go so not down to the garge.

Yeah looks to be the case mate, i defo think thats whats happened

is it expensive to get everything replaced, what price would i be looking at ?

iceberg 172
I payed £120 for a non genuine 1 but like danny says they dont fit well. I didnt do my research befor geting one. not sure on genuine around 200 i think or 60ish second hand

Flame Red 172
ok lads thanks for all the advice should be able to get it all sorted tomorrow touch wood

night all

Flame Red 172
Found out it was my gearbox need a new one, bigger than what i thought. Mad thing was i could select all gears so dont understand that at all

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You probably could select all gears. I doubt you'd have got drive from all gears though, with half of one laying in the road.

Buy a reconditioned 'box. Just watch out that it's not a Cup one.

Flame Red 172
Yeah didnt try to get into the higher gears so probably was 4th or summit that decided to throw itself out of the back, where can i buy a reconditioned box from ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'm no mechanical genius, but surely if a bit of the gearbox was lying in the road, that would require there to be a ruddy great big hole in the gearbox?!

Personally, id ask to see said hole in the box, just to ensure that the garage isnt shafting you for a box/as opposed to a driveshaft!