ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some 70s motorsport snaps

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
So after way too many years of not getting around to it I've started to scan in some of the motorsport pics my father took back in the mid 70s.

There aren't many in the set of prints I have, and only done a couple to start with. I've got 3 boxes of pictures and negatives to sort through at some point, but in 6 years I've not even opened them yet, need some time! Hopefully there's some of his motorsport stuff in there as well as all the family pics.

Thought I'd put a few up here, plan is to get some canvas' made up, especially the first one as it's my fave....

JackyIckx.jpg

Some of the chaps over on the Autosport forum amazingly were able to identify the exact day/race this was taken at, with one of the chaps there having taken a similar shot of the same pit garage from the opposite side!

The picture is of the works Ferrari pits during the 1972 World Sports Prototype championship.

Aussie driver Tim Schenken is talking to Ronnie Peterson in the backgrond, with Jacky Ickx lounging in the foreground.

The car is a Ferrari 312PB

Next is a shot of Jody Scheckter in 1975 I think, at Silverstone

JodyScheckter.jpg

One of Nikki Lauda in 1976 at Brands (I think!)

NikkiLauda.jpg

Tony Brise in 1975 about to meet 'Griffin the Pigeon'. It did not end well for the pigeon.

TonyBrise.jpg

James Hunt in a 1975 Hesketh

JamesHuntHesketh1975.jpg

James Hunt battling in a 1977 Mclaren

JamesHuntMclaren1977.jpg

Mario Andretti (can't place the year, '76 or '77?)

MarioAndretti.jpg

John Watson in the pits in his 1977 Brabham

JohnWatson1977Brabham.jpg

That's it I think for the F1 prints I have, about another 15 or so of random non F1 single seaters and touring car type stuff as well.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant - even more so that in today's world, you point and click and pretty much guaranteed a good photo. Those shots take skill and some amount of luck to get right.

You could certainly get a few £££ from those, I reckon.

An orange one
Amazing! So much more character and rawness to old Motorsport.

I love the first one in particular. Would love to see the rest you have!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, hopefully there's some more good shots in the boxes I've got, or at least the negatives for these but really have no idea. From what I've seen in the boxes so far there's a mixture of old family stuff.

But have got some high res scans of the A4 prints so I can at least get a canvas made up of a few of my favourites :)

WRX
Really like those, right up my street as I love old stuff. Peterson was one of those lost way too soon. Would have gone on to be one of the greats.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Starting to get the garage organised with some racking and was moving some of the boxes around today. There's one 40/50 litre plastic box that is jammed full of prints, negatives and a heck of a lot of 35mm slides of this stuff. So much there no idea where to start!
Loads of non motorsport stuff too, quiet a lot of Red Arrows displays, clay pigeon shoots and some stuff from when he worked for a cigar company.
Only had time to have a quick flick through but there's a reasonable amount, quite a few shots of people that I'll need to try and identify, at least the motorsport ones will be people who are known.

Clio, Nova, Astra
Excellent pics matey, would love to see those in colour like i have seen in the other thread about history great to know these still exist somewhere lol