ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

solid top mounts talk to me

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
rubber mounts tend to dampen vibration and road noise rather than acting like the spring and dampers

rubber mounts tend to dampen vibration and road noise rather than acting like the spring and dampers

I understand that - but I wouldn't have thought they'd suddenly make the car feel "crashy"

I fitted billsteins and then a month later solid mounts. Made no difference to the feeling - just turns in quicker

Inferno 182
Top mounts won't make the ride crashy LOL

That's down to spring strength and shock absorbers

Really?? well, that would defy physics - and common sense - so LOL back at yah!
You replace something made of rubber, with shock absorbing qualities, with something solid.
Why do you think solid top mounts change the steering feel, and 'sharpen it up' like people say. They merely remove that small element of travel provided by the rubber. That small amount of travel will also obviously have an impact on ride quality. The crashiness of bumps in the road is definitely felt more with solid top mounts. Probably a price worth paying but it is definitely true.
Noise, vibration and harshness - all pretty relevant to this discussion.

The rubber lets the shock absorbers move slightly from side to side = softer turn in. The solid mounts dont = faster turn in

The rubber will provide some noise reduction because it'll buffer the spring/shock movement from the car - but "crashy" feelings are when you hit a bump or pot hole in the road and the car jumps up or down harshly. That's NEVER gonna be caused by replacing half an inch of solid rubber with a solid mount. It will most likely be caused by either springs too strong or shock absorbers too stiff.

If the shocks and springs are soft enough they will absorb any movement in the wheel

If you'd said there was slightly more noise I'd agree - but saying it makes the ride "crashy" is absolutely absurd

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
I have ktec mounts also,great bit of kit,looks great and good handling upgrade,as said turn in is sharper with much more driver feedback.I think if the car is mainly a road few track day's a year car then ktec mounts are fine,if it was more track then road then I would go AST or Mark Fish,not seen the pure sport mounts,do you have a pic of them fitted cup_Phil?

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
ive got the compbrake, never had a problem with them

DSCF0014.gif

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
well i got offered some compbrake ( que haters ) at a decentish price so i decided to find out how bad they are lol, wish me luck

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Ahh mine are type a ( the crap ones apparantly ) and until now i didnt knwo type 2 existed, they do look exactly like the k-tec ones tho :/

Yeah the first gen comp brake ones are utter shite - I'd rather have standard
The second gen ones are fine - and are identical to K-Tec
I believe K-Tec just bought the rights to them - powder coated them and stook a K-Tec logo on them

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
im not saying anoyone is telling lies but i couldnt see how they could be so bad, so for the price i paid i decided there was only one way to find out lol, ill proberbly get some k-tec ones in the near future lol

They are a horrid design

They don't fit well in the hole and there's nothing to hold them in place except a silly screw-on ring
That rattles loose and the damn things move about - meaning a crap drive

There's a reason comp-brake discontinued them and redesigned them as above with the bolts going through the strut tops ;)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
i agree dude, which part of the bottom bit doesnt fit exactly ? how hard would it be to make some more on the lathe ? and use the bearing out of em ?

It's not worth it really - you can buy the bearings from pure motorsport for about £20 lol

By the time you've lathed some new ones you might as well just buy the k-tec ones :(

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
how good are the bearings for £20 quid?
and do you have a link ?

tar jamie

edit, found em, are the compbrake bearings also 18mm ?

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
I didn't even know the K-Tec ones were originally Compbrakes (if they really are that is lol)

Jamie the ones you got will be grand :) just tighten them up really well in the turret - that's what I did

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I am dude, just gonna bang em on for a few week see how they go, can't do any harm, also did you have the little spacer on with them as they wasn't in the box ?

"Navy" N17 TWO
No spacer, just what is cable-tied to keep it together :)

You're maybe thinking of the spacer for the standard-shock knocking fix?

ITB'd MK1
I didn't even know the K-Tec ones were originally Compbrakes (if they really are that is lol)

are they f**k. Myself and Darren at OMEX designed them, with me basically telling him what was needed, and he did it (him being the ex cheif engineer at Marcos and now at TTS) on commision from Ktec. Compbrake ripped off the design as their old one was s**t

are they f**k. Myself and Darren at OMEX designed them, with me basically telling him what was needed, and he did it (him being the ex cheif engineer at Marcos and now at TTS) on commision from Ktec. Compbrake ripped off the design as their old one was s**t

Ahhh sorry assumed the opposite - as compbrake stopped selling them about the same time I saw the k-tec ones advertised

AFAIK compbrake don't manufacture the clio top mounts any more

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
No spacer, just what is cable-tied to keep it together :)

You're maybe thinking of the spacer for the standard-shock knocking fix?

no ive seen in threads that there should be a little collet type spacer about 10 or 15mm long, if you didnt use it and it didnt knock tho it should be ok :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Just remembered this video of my Trophy top mounts which I think were OK !!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiRuzClLFhk" target="_blank">

Last edited by a moderator:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Bump here...

My 172 cup has some anodised red solid top mounts fitted with new renault shocks and H&R springs.
I think the tip mounts are the ones listed on ebay but I'm unsure.

Anyways, when I hit a pothole I get a really harsh bang, could this be knackered topmounts or is it something else?

Cheers

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I found the solid top mounts make hitting bumps a lot louder. It's still worth having them on there in my opinion, but essentially you replace a piece of rubber which isolated the road noise with a spherical bearing that doesn't...