ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

solid top mounts talk to me

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Whats the best all rounder for a road car and are they worth it on a road car ?

AST seem to be favourites but have much adjustability which for me on my car is a bit over kill, are compbrake or k-tek ones the way forward ? not affecting any geometry just a solid top mount, if so are there any cheaper options

thanks jamie

RS 182 CUP
got the ktec ones, cant fault them. but if i knew "Pure motorsport" had thier own version inc strut brace (group buy on here somewhere) id have them

Rusty Cup
Mark Fish top mounts are the dogs danglies, cant imagine you'll see much change from £400 mind. There is talk that you can buy washers that will eliminate excessive top mount movement, could be worth a look if your not thinking of spending 3 figures.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
cheers guys, i have the washer fix but want solid mounts, and why avoid compbrake mounts?

b/g 182, meg tourer
i had k-tec's early design ones and they were terrible from my experience. they were the compbrake ones branded by k-tec i believe. but they were terrible. they rattled even on smooth roads and a very loud rattle at that.
for road use with a few track days a year i would say std renault ones are more than fine. cheaper too.

RS 182 CUP
mine, like i said i cant fault them
IMG00064-20110320-1341.jpg

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Is that a picture of yours Emma?
I'm aiming on getting my car into Mark Fish soon, he looks after a mates car and he doesn't have a single bad word to say about Mark :)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i have been looking at these recently as i am going for a full new suspension set up. i had read somewhere that fitting solid top mounts lowers the front end another 10 /15mm. im not interested in them if they do lower the front end more.

i have been looking at these recently as i am going for a full new suspension set up. i had read somewhere that fitting solid top mounts lowers the front end another 10 /15mm. im not interested in them if they do lower the front end more.

Why? Improvement they give is worth it no? Just wind the coilovers up 10/15mm?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Apologies for hi jacking the thread. Im running fk coilovers, front strut brace and new but standard top mounts. will solid top mounts from either pure motorsport or ktec ones make a big difference?

Dan.

Yep - by far the best kit

Top mounts bolt directly to the strut brace. Exact copy of what the cup race cars run

If you want to adjust the camber/castor with the top mounts then I'd probably still get AST - but if you just want solid top mounts then the Pure Motorsport kit wins hand's down

Don't touch the compbrake one with a barge pole - I bought some first and they are such a bad design :(

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a noob question but how to they better the cars handeling over the std renault ones? And will they just replace my exsisting ones with the setup ive got. Very tempted to be honest

Dan

Bit of a noob question but how to they better the cars handeling over the std renault ones? And will they just replace my exsisting ones with the setup ive got. Very tempted to be honest

Dan

Solid top mounts give better steering response and increased driver feedback, whilst maintaining the geometry and improving the suspension performance.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Another daft qustion and without looking at the car as im in work. So even with the strut brace fitted there easy enough to fit?

Dan

Wait - which ones?

The Pure Motorsport ones come with a strut brace - and they bolt through into the strut brace. Very rigid

The others I assume will fit with the strut brace on - you'll need to check for clearance though

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was refering to the pure ones. Ive allready got an omp strut brace fitted so was hoping just to remove the old and replace with new

Dan

"Navy" N17 TWO
Price and details?

Dan.

They are Compbrake ones :eek: IGNORE the haters I had no problems with them;
cured the standard suspension knock, didn't knock or rattle themselves and steering felt better - as expected :)

Good condition and £90ish posted - I haven't even posted them in the F/S section yet

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Had the AST ones on for bout 18 months now and they do drop the height a little and give a lot more feedback and direct turn in . The only prob is the state of the roads over here and the hard ride be prepared for a lot of pothole dodging !
Im tempted to go back to renault ones cause of this

Inferno 182
I am getting fed up with mine because of the crashy ride.
Problem is, they've been on a few years and I can't remember what the feel is like on the original rubber mounts.......