ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped Bolt

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I know its not the be all and end all but i would love to get this out.
I was putting new bolts in from renault on the top inlet and having the guns that i have (joke) i snapped it.

Now the rest are on and i have made sure they are not over tight but not loose either.

I know i need to pop the inlet off but whats the best way of getting this bolt out ? I am hoping that when i take the inlet off there is enough at the top to get with a pair of long nose mole grips.

w2hxrr.jpg

2mwuq1h.jpg

2003 Clio 172 Cup
If there's enough thread left after taking off the inlet top try using some "irwin bolt grip extractors" with a little heat prior.
If not.... centre punch the bolt then drill with a small drill bit gradually getting larger. Then use an easy out so you don't have to re tap.

As you say, if there's enough sticking out then you can use the mole grips. If not then you can try chiseling it round by hitting the outside edge anti-clockwise. If that doesn't work, you could try drilling a small indent into it and then hit a torx bit into it.

If none of that works you'll just have to drill down the centre and try an easy out.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
My car has not moved since Dec 31st 2013 so there is not much chance of it vibrating out :(

I currently have stuff in the dish washer just now so when i go back down tomorrow i will pop the top inlet off and have a look.

Im trying to stay away from drilling it if possible, Its a spanking new bolt and it is not threaded or crossed.

GTD, Lupo
Use and easy out screw extractor. I would take the inlet off to have a good but should be pretty easy. Thats if you know someone with a set.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If there's enough thread left after taking off the inlet top try using some "irwin bolt grip extractors" with a little heat prior.
If not.... centre punch the bolt then drill with a small drill bit gradually getting larger. Then use an easy out so you don't have to re tap.

This would be my first port of call

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Thanks to Dan@SJM as this bolt took less than 5 seconds to come out.

Was not tight and there was more than enough thread sticking out to just unscrew it

ohdkz.jpg

fpbhjm.jpg