ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smart/apps for houses

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Couldn't think of a title but, is there anything on the market which is almost plug and play which can allow you to control things from an ipad/iphone?

I know there are plug adapters which plug in between the plug and the socket but I'm wondering if there's anything that could be more inconspicuous, OEM for lack of a better word.

Something which could control a fire, plug sockets (which in turn would power anything plugged into them), heating, lights etc etc

cheers

Goliath I
Wasn't there a thread a while back about systems in the house which were rigged to control 'everything'... Lights, TV, heating etc... (Home automation?)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I so want one of those iKettles. Had that page bookmarked for ages, they just keep putting the available date back :(

Would you honestly pay £100 for a kettle?

theres a £30ish adapter you plug in between your appliance and socket which you can control via an app if you're serious lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As I'm doing up the house at the moment I thought I'd bung some smart lighting in, I'll probably grab the av stuff after Christmas. Love z wave stuff.

[video]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/chimphitter/A9FCDDE8-7DBC-4A72-99AA-99659648462B_zpsvx0fpjrh.mp4[/video]

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I made my own. Its dead easy really. basic implementation is a pic based device>Server>Webservice/webinterface. Allows me to control *anything* in the house and cost under £100. Hardly ever use it though so a waste of time imo.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
that is exactly what I was after, a little module to fit behind appliances.

Now to convince the gf that it's a good idea

Like The Fatty said. Great idea. Waste of time though.

Youll use it for the first month if your lucky.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Appliance control of a complete waste of time. Lighting control isn't IMO. A house with billy basic lighting is a bit underwhelming though.

I will ill be putting av control with my lights though so I can go on the app, select films, choose what one I want, drag it to the tv icon which will turn the tv on and initiate a lighting scene I've chosen for film watching.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Appliance control of a complete waste of time. Lighting control isn't IMO. A house with billy basic lighting is a bit underwhelming though.

I will ill be putting av control with my lights though so I can go on the app, select films, choose what one I want, drag it to the tv icon which will turn the tv on and initiate a lighting scene I've chosen for film watching.

That's cool as f**k in theory, but it seems like slightly less work that streaming a film to an Apple TV then dimming the lights lol

Rav4
I started, got bored.

Also bought some Philips hue lights, great idea, but doesn't really happen.

:)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Heating/hot water is all I'd be interested in. I hate having both on when I'm not in.

Revels Mum & Sister
I love this sort of stuff but again wonder as has been said the longetivity of it. I have a Wifi controllable Plug socket you can access externally (Belkin Wemo) so I can turn On/Off my espresso machine so it is heated for me when I return home :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
That's cool as f**k in theory, but it seems like slightly less work that streaming a film to an Apple TV then dimming the lights lol

Mine will be connected to my iTunes account and also when I'm bored of watching it downstairs I can swipe my finger to the upstairs tv and the film will be waiting for me on the upstairs tv on pause. I'll also have my heating on it via a danfoss thermostat.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Mine will be connected to my iTunes account and also when I'm bored of watching it downstairs I can swipe my finger to the upstairs tv and the film will be waiting for me on the upstairs tv on pause. I'll also have my heating on it via a danfoss thermostat.

What is the cost/planning (for lack of a better word) involved?

Or or is it a case of press what you want after the modules are connected to the tv/sockets etc etc? Sorry if that doesn't make sense :eek:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Can't put a real cost on a system tbh, depends on how many lights etc. I don't bother with modules on sockets, will just cat 6 cables to TVs that will be on standby and turned on through the app, heating via the app to danfoss or other wave stats. Anything power wise I have no need to control remotely but if I did I would just use the light modules in my video controlling a contractor for big loads or fused down for smaller loads.

Our systems are standard wiring light and power wise, all cat cables to TV points wired back to one central location so piss easy but will the control of Creston/Lurton/control 4 etc.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Can't put a real cost on a system tbh, depends on how many lights etc. I don't bother with modules on sockets, will just cat 6 cables to TVs that will be on standby and turned on through the app, heating via the app to danfoss or other wave stats. Anything power wise I have no need to control remotely but if I did I would just use the light modules in my video controlling a contractor for big loads or fused down for smaller loads.

Our systems are standard wiring light and power wise, all cat cables to TV points wired back to one central location so piss easy but will the control of Creston/Lurton/control 4 etc.

im very sorry, I tried to follow that, but I can't follow the electric jargon lol and What's a cat cable?