ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smaller steering wheel for Clio 172

Ph2 Clio 172
Hi Guys.

Had my new toy of a 172 for 2 days now (the lovely British weather has put pay to any proper fun, but hey ho), but already the P&O Ferry steering wheel is starting to annoy me. Being 6'4" it means I clip my legs often when cornering.

What options are there for replacing the wheel with one smaller (assuming they are measured from the outside edges, the 172 is a massive 380mm!)? Ideally id like to swap with another Renault one, possibly from any of the newer/other RS models as it keeps my airbag, but my research has led me up a dead end (hence this post). Id be happy to do some modding or pay someone to do it for me to get a proper Renault wheel on there, even if its only 20mm smaller! Any extra room would be great!

Any suggestions? Any help is gratefully appreciated! The only solution ive come to so far is a Momo Millenium Evo and a face mashing if I crash :(

Many thanks!

alien green rs133
laguna wheel???
18189064a12274756123o.jpg

Ph2 Clio 172
Is the Laguna wheel smaller than the stock wheel? Id consider anything that keeps the airbag before looking at aftermarket wheels, but I just haven't found anythin :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The first mod on any clio should be the steering wheel.

That looks like a mondeo steering wheel Tom!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Think you can fit the 197/200 wheel to a 182, but not 100%.
I have looked for the tread but I can't find it, remember the Birchdown guys doing it, looked great!

Ph2 Clio 172
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Looks like the most direct route is to use a Renault wheel from another car, but it seems lots of people are seeking the same thing I am, but not many have found a solution (or posted many details online). So far:

Twingo 133: Ive seen statements saying these are a straight swap, but have struggled to find any further information on them. Are they actually smaller than the 172 stock wheel in the first place? And if so, are they a straight swap?

Clio 197/200: Proven possibly by a couple of people on here, but looks costly, and also like it requires a bit of handywork to make them fit. Id be much more comfortable getting someone who knows what they are doing to do this for me, but that adds even more cost. Again, im assuming these are smaller than the 172 wheel?

Laguna: Do you have any more details Hutchie? That Laguna wheel certainly looks smaller than my 172 wheel. Is it a simple swap out to fit? If so, what model/year Laguna am I looking at?

R26: Ive seen one statement on here that says this is possible. Is there any more available? I dont even know what the R26 wheel is like but I assume its going to be smaller and with an airbag?

My 172 is a phase 2 so apparently has the 2 wires for the airbag, and no Cruise Control. Ideally id prefer a straight swap out with airbag for something smaller.

Cheers

alien green rs133
baisically your gonna struggle to find a wheel and airbag combo that an exact fit, my laguna one i had to modify a connector by snipping of a locator tag.
so i cant reccomend this.
but its a load nicer, i also cant confirm it doesnt turn airbag light on as mines always on, normally the passenger under seat wiring. i will get chance to put it on our diognostics machine to see if the the steering wheel is wired correctly.

Ph2 Clio 172
Is the laguna wheel smaller than the clio? If so by how much. I can take trimming a bit of plastic off the wire, just the 200 wheel seemed to need some extra cutting of the suround and possibly some grinding.

Which Laguna model should I be looking at?

Cheers

alien green rs133
most laguna 2's
2002-2006 ????????

its the chunky one :rasp:

it does touch the cowling very very slightly, with in a weeks worth of driving its fine.

apart from that its a straight fit.

Ph2 Clio 172
Hi Hutchie. Can you, or anyone, confirm the laguna wheel is smaller than the stock 172 wheel?

Also, is there any more information about the twingo wheel?

Cheers

Every steering wheel is smaller than the 172/182 items. Bus drivers have been known to complain that the steering wheels in the MII RS Clio are too big. They're terrible. Cracks me up when the full fat xenon heroes bleat on about their awesome RS steering wheel, which is even bigger than the Cup's. Rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Shocking design for a performance drivers car, especially as the rack has about a thousand turns lock-to-lock. SRS design flaw in the Clios, and that's before we even get started on the whole melting issue. I sold mine on c.60k miles and it looked like it had been to the moon and back. Thrice.

Ph2 Clio 172
Lol. Well put!

Looking at it, It looks as though they increased the size of the airbag area to stick some cruise control buttons around the bottem, and then increased the size of the wheel to go around that... but then didnt decrease the size back again in wheels that dont have the buttons! It looks and feels as though ive got about half an inch of extra real estate around my airbag for a plethora of buttons that dont exist!

Anyway, if anyone had a Laguna wheel could like the one in Hutchies picture (3 spoke, not 4) could you possibly give it a measure accorss its diameter outside edge to outside edge?

Cheers