ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight tapping from engine

On my 182 it pulls ace and spuds great but I can hear a slight tapping coming from the engine bay any ideas?

A ANIMAL
if its just a slight tapping dont worry about it too much. De-phaser pulleys can be quite noisey generally, and its not the smothest engine out there!!

Been down diamond motors and mick is a diamond lol diagnosed straight away just waiting for the warranty claim to sort

its a trader and hes trying to get out of it but i reported the fault to him within 4 hours of ownership so we wil see

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
that wont be covered by warrenty as its not failed or broken. Just becasue it slightly noisey means nothing. I would give the garage a big thankyou if they cover it for you...

Erm well not really as they need to sort a few things and I only want this off them, if it fails it's a rebuild so would cost them more so surely you would have thought they would sort it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly I dont think the warranty will cover a slightly noisey dephaser, and the odds of it actually failing properly in the warranty period are very low, they go on for AGES making a lot of noise.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Erm well not really as they need to sort a few things and I only want this off them, if it fails it's a rebuild so would cost them more so surely you would have thought they would sort it

you will be looking at £600+ for parts an labour to change the dephaser. Also you wont want a normal garage doing it due to the specail timing tools required. Also, dephaser pullys very rarely collapse/expode. The just get noisy. I dont think its a dephaser problem as they dont normally sound tappy, they sound chattery. search youtube for some videos.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If it happens after a run then its lifters or dephaser most likely, as both are effected by the oil thinning when its hotter.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
you will be looking at £600+ for parts an labour to change the dephaser. Also you wont want a normal garage doing it due to the specail timing tools required. Also, dephaser pullys very rarely collapse/expode. The just get noisy. I dont think its a dephaser problem as they dont normally sound tappy, they sound chattery. search youtube for some videos.

Agreed, if he forced the garage to do the dephaser they would probably then re-use the cambelt and tensioners to keep the costs down unless they do a lot of renault sport belts they'll no doubt get it wrong anyway on the cam timing (especially if they dont even want to be doing the job so cant be bothered to do it porperly) and the engine will lose power, which wont be something he can claim under warranty for, so will still end up needing to pay for a new belt etc later on, so wont really save him much as the dephaser itself is under a couple of hundred quid.

i may just get him to source all the parts and pay then get mick to sort it? seems fair enough if he does that and mick is the man that can with sorting it out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
IMHO the only thing you can fairly ask of him is the dephasor, the cambelt kit etc I would say is down to you if you want it changed.

I still doubt many traders will just want to randomly hand over a couple of hundred quid for something they probably just view as a minor noise on an old high mileage car, ie fairly normal.

good luck though mate :)