ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight smell of burning - New exhaust

G51 BEN
Just got my new Ktec Stealth fitted today (non sport) and when driving home I noticed a slight smell of burning when stopped at traffic lights.

Got home and parked up and the smell was still there.

Looked under the car and everything seems to be in order, slight SLIGHT bit of smoke coming from the exhaust tip though.....

Could this be anything to do with the fact that the mild steel exhausts are painted and its just something to do with it being a brand new exhaust getting hot and melting the paint? Im sure the smell will go away but just wanted to know that its nothng serious....

Thanks

G51 BEN
And also its mixed with the smell of warm rain... you know the type you only really get on holidays? Burning mixed with rain on a warm day

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
IIRC the 'Packing' in the exhausts are inside plastic bags when they are assembled, as the exhaust gets hot this burns away releaseing the 'packing'.

That said I could be totally wrong ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Smell of exhaust burning means you've been driving the car properly.

Just been searching for threads with this issue. I had a new centre-section put on a week or two ago and keep getting a burning smell. I'm guessing it's normal even if you don't replace the whole exhaust?

Ph 1 172
IIRC the 'Packing' in the exhausts are inside plastic bags when they are assembled, as the exhaust gets hot this burns away releaseing the 'packing'.

That said I could be totally wrong ;)

+1 had the same burning smell with my ketch stealth and they had posted on here saying it's the bags burning away. Mine took quite a few road trips to lose the smell