ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight crunch going into 3rd gear

1.8 16v, Iceberg ph1 172
Title says it all really, 172 phase 1, when I change down into 3rd to over take it seems a bit tight, a bit of a crunch. Ive played about with gear changes but it seems relevant to revs as in if I allow it to slow down it goes in fine. Car has done 58k, any ideas?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Welcome to the world of crap RS gearbox's. Syncro wesh worn is the most liekly cause.

1.8 16v, Iceberg ph1 172
I was wondering if it might be that except it had only done 43k when I got it and by the look of all the receipts had been wrapped in cotton wool.

1.8 16v, Iceberg ph1 172
yeah not a big issue really, I find if im in 5th pootling along behind something I will just go into 4th then 3rd while the clutch is down and that either gives it more time or a slicker movement

Not a 320d
What's the box in a 1.6? Mine's a bit crunchy at 74k. Wouldn't surprise me if it was ragged around by the previous owner.

Not the JC5.

The JC5's ive driven (or used) werent THAT bad really. I mean it was no BMW or Honda but by all means it was more than operable but like people say not for rushing.

If you want to experience a bad gearbox, try using the TL4 from the 197 or Clio GT, now that is s**t, my synchro has gone into 3rd and have it booked in for replacement. Im not sure if the 200 uses the same box.

Clio 172 Cup
My 3rd's always been a bugger for down changes, even with some blipped throttle action.

How much to get the box refreshed (rebuilt). Just rough prices.

I just blip mine Into third and it's fine. Can be a b**ch when cold though. Is there a rebuild with a LSD option anywhere? What's the best LSD for a 172?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Ktec Engine/gearbox mount and Powerflex dog bone on my car.

Did help but still iffy.

Yeah done all this, it does it under heavy acceleration, shifting from 2nd to 3rd, ill see if double clutching works? covered 70000 now, how much does a synchro rebuild cost :S

clio sport 172
my car has now 145.000 km, and i'm the third owner, and still EVERY gear change is smooth, no cruches, creaks etc.

clio sport 172
i don't know how the gearbox was when it had 0 km, but now with 145.000 km it goes in every gear without any problem, no matter hig-low revs, upshift-downshift.
the gearbox oil was changed from first and second owner every 30.000 km (Tranself TRX 75w80) i continued that, the complete clutch set was on 120.000 km.
as i said no crunching gear change or anything else.