ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sliding Brake Pads

Titanium 182
Hi,

I recently changed my front brakes from ds2500 to Mintex pads, mainly due to the insane squealing from the ds2500s but also because every time I applied the brakes I would hear the pads "slap" within the calipers.

I changed to the Mintex pads and everything was sorted, however 2 weeks later I can now hear the pads slapping again. If I go to reverse, start moving and then apply the brakes I can hear a pretty loud slap. I can only imagine this is the pad sliding in the calipers? Is this normal? I have stock calipers if that makes a difference. First car I've ever owned to do this so I'm going to assume it's not normal! This might explain why I was getting chipped edges on the ds2500's.

Thanks in advance

Titanium 182
image.png

182 T
I dont know about mintex pads but on the standard ones or brembos you get a clunk if you don't have anti clatter shims in. If you reverse and it clunks, then it clunks once going forward. I don't know if you get them for after market pads. I ran for ages without them.

Titanium 182
Well I'm definitely not running any shims at the moment, both ds2500 and the Mintex pads are doing the same thing. As long as it's not a 'fault' as such, I'll just live with it!

Thanks for clearing that up though fellas

Titanium 182
Nice one thanks! Well everything's just been cleaned up really well when I replaced the pads so I might just order the shims :)

Thanks for that!

Track 172 Cup
I don't run the shim's with my CL6 pads they do clunk around a little but dont have any issues gives a little more room when they expand on track when they get hot. just a little noisy and they do sound like they're gonna fall out in reverse lol

Titanium 182
I don't run the shim's with my CL6 pads they do clunk around a little but dont have any issues gives a little more room when they expand on track when they get hot. just a little noisy and they do sound like they're gonna fall out in reverse lol
I actually intend on running some track days in the future, is it common to remove shims for the track then? I can cope with the noise providing I know it's not harmful lol

Track 172 Cup
Apparently it gives the pads a little room when stuff gets hot around that area it expands a little and without the shims helps keep stuff free. I've done 2 track days and a few hundred road miles with no issues whatsoever with no shims.

The previous owner ran the same pads on track and left the shims in with no issues, I just removed them when I rebuilt the calipers and fitted new pads.