ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Re: My Pink One..

no rear ARB on yet mate? You will love it when you get it, makes the back end feel a bit more solid like a saxo/106

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Well, with the day to day BMW being picked up tonight .... 461 is now being taken off the road for winter. It will return as something a little bit more focussed :race:

Think of the saxo, but pink ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Whats the plans with it Dave?

Interior wise, think this, but clio shaped:

DSC02556.jpg

DSC02555-1.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

Then de-pin the front Sachs dampers, add adjustable rear Koni's and some appropriate springs. When combined with the Whiteline ARB, that should create something very much go-cart like.

Saxo was built to £2.5k all in. This will be the same :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Loved the saxo, so looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Keep us updated!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Another little update following the Brands Hatch trackday on Sunday.

First things first, on Saturday, I realised that my MOT was going to run out on Wednesday, was a tad concerned with its heavy mileage, but it passed 1st time in the morning, without so much as an advisory!! Well done clio :star:

Whilst I was there, I helped my mechanic swop the DS2500 pads in, & bleed the brakes with Castrol Response Super Dot 4, didnt bother with braided lines as i think they’re a little bit of a placebo (the car feels no different to my 172 cup & previous Trophy that both had them). All done, I popped to Ollie’s place of work to do the oil change and fit the Whiteline ARB thats been sat under my desk for the past month ...

With a KFC inside us, the oil change was sorted very quickly by my able assistant & it was onto the ARB. Firstly, it looked completely different to Nick’s, & secondly it was longer. Hmmm, perhaps its not the right one we thought? Bugger it, lets bosh it on anyway, this is Failsport remember ... nearly 2 hours later, & having given up on the buzz gun, the extended breaker bar & copious amounts of WD40 had got the rear damper bottom bolts out, god only knows what Renault torqued them up to when they changed the dampers last year :rolleyes: Once they were done, we quickly offered everything up to car, & realised that yes, we were going to have to fit it completely differently to Nicks, with the droplinks on the inside of the bar instead of the outside :s weird, but there was no other way it would fit. With that finally done, I got ready to leave & took a quick pic of the new addition (for CS of course):

24862e97.jpg

Now, Ollie, being the ex-valeter was incredible upset with the state of the shed Trophy, & after finding out that I had never actually cleaned it :eek: offered to give it a once over, purely as he wanted to see if it actually was still red under all the dirt & grime. It was, the 2118’s were also a completely different shade to what I thought they were lol!!

eeb478d1.jpg

Then it was onto Brands Hatch on the Sunday, where we were a tad concerned about the weather, especially after seeing -7 on the way over there in the morning!!

However, despite Lee’s unfortunate incident in the afternoon, we had a great day, yes it was cold, but rather sunny in places, with the track offering a decent enough level of grip. Well except Clearways in the afternoon after a TVR dumped its coolant all over the place. Coolant + -1 = ice = sideways Trophy :eek:

As ever, the car performed faultlessly all day, & the Whiteline ARB (Set to medium) has really transformed the car imho. Whilst i was suffering from understeer on the limit at Snetterton, this has now been replaced with a greater willingness to hold the line, combined with a improved tendency for oversteer. The car is now, & i hate to say it, very similar to the Vts on Bilsteins i had previously, which tbh i was trying to recreate!! I now have the option to steer with the steering wheel, throttle or brakes, the ARB stiffening the rear up to the point where it really is quite twitchy, lovely :D No more 3 wheeling either, so its certainly doing something back there!!

Anyway, my photos, courtesy of Focussed Events:

ALX_7466.jpg

ALX_7527.jpg

ALX_7671.jpg

ALX_7716.jpg

ALX_7751.jpg

ALX_7824.jpg

ALX_8496.jpg

ALX_8538.jpg

ALX_8593.jpg

ALX_8920.jpg

ALX_9541.jpg

ALX_9542.jpg

ALX_9667.jpg

Only problem all day was that we were both sliding around on the seats quite a bit (despite harnesses), not great when you're approaching paddock with a dab of oppo ;) that was duely sorted with a cheeky bid on eBay when I got home, hello Cobra Imolas:

Imolas.jpg

In addition, as you can see from the photos, the front wheels could do with a little more negative camber, not just for grip purposes, but to prolong tire life as well, so I may invest in come camber bolts of some sort. The T1R’s were also fine, yes they dont offer as much grip as R888’s, & Nick and Ollie were able to drive off into the sunset ahead of me, but I prefer fun to ultimate speed tbh, & having to fight the car around the track is where I get my pleasure ...

Roll on the next outing :race:

Megane 225 F1
Re: Project 172k Trophy, & its endless track abuse

Ace write up mate. Lovely looking car. LOL at bodging the ARB on failsport style.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Ace write up mate. Lovely looking car. LOL at bodging the ARB on failsport style.

You should know by now, that by 'bodge', i mean it was re-engineered to ensure a more accurate fit based on the revised parameters discovered following our initial consultation, i.e. it wont fit so i got the hammer out. 5 more minutes & i would have been on the phone to Mike to get the angle grinder ...

Fantastic! Love how it looks on track on the 2118's too :cool:

Why thank you :eek: they are lovely wheels, may have to make way for something cheaper to stay under budget though tbh, shouldnt have sold my Pro Race 1.2's lol.

How long before it hits 200k then? ;)

Oh ages now! It get used very rarely, in fact only twice in 2 months, for casual drives around Haynes Sprint Circuit & Brands Hatch ;) Do plan to get it up to 182k though, purely for the photo opportunity ...

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Those sodding shock bolts!!! I swore. Alot. And then, seeing as it was in 'my' workshop, made a managerial decision and decided......to hand Dave the breaker bar and told him "you can bloody do that, im getting the right hump".

Megane 225 F1

You should know by now, that by 'bodge', i mean it was re-engineered to ensure a more accurate fit based on the revised parameters discovered following our initial consultation, i.e. it wont fit so i got the hammer out. 5 more minutes & i would have been on the phone to Mike to get the angle grinder ...

Angle grinder? Isn't that something that all Failsport garages should carry standard.

330i. E30 Touring.

Pretty much, if I ever lost a hand, i'd get a grinder put on instead of a hook.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Proper shed <3

What's the background regarding the mileage? Company owned?

330i. E30 Touring.

Had it's first cambelt at 72k. The car was 11 months old. lol.

Guy used to commute from Brum to Andover every day in it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

The Trophy lot will cry if they ever see the state its in at the moment lol.

Lol, +1! Photoshoot to annoy other owners? lol!

Looks great Dave, the ARB sounds like something to definately consider!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Proper shed <3

What's the background regarding the mileage? Company owned?

Why thank you :eek:

Yeah, as Mike said, was a company car with fuel card, so proper blank chequebook job, serviced every 12k at Renault, cambelt at 72k & 140k, with new rear dampers (flipping expensive) at 148k. Have a huge ring binder of every invoice since new!!

Lol, +1! Photoshoot to annoy other owners? lol!

Looks great Dave, the ARB sounds like something to definately consider!

Ha ha, i do have an abuse thread on there, but no one posts it in as its too upsetting ;)

ARB is definately way forwards for the T though, doesnt need anything else imho, unless you want lows for vanity of course ...

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

ARB is definately way forwards for the T though, doesnt need anything else imho, unless you want lows for vanity of course ...
Agreed.
Thats the only reason I look out for cheap second hand MF set.
Most of the time I quite like the roller skate look. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

The obligatory snow shot:

5f4567d4.jpg

Cobra Imola's turned up today as well, certainly need a good clean, but they'll do the job!! Also bought a MOMO steering wheel boss for the suede dished wheel that i'll get myself for xmas ;)

Oh, also need some OMP subframes if anyone has some they wish to donate ...

Mini Cooper S

What happened to the "There is already too much money tied up in the car". That didn't last long!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

What happened to the "There is already too much money tied up in the car". That didn't last long!

Ah ha, but i'm selling off the expensive bits of the car, ie steering wheel/fancy floormats/Parrot kit/stereo/seats/wheels, etc & replacing the essential bits with cheap cr4p off eBay, so ill actually end up with less money tied up in the car, & more cash for trackdays ;)

Mini Cooper S

That spoiler would be worth a pretty penny on the sales market.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Just abuse it dave.

Glad you finally got round to fitting the ARB, sounds like you're equally as impressed as I was. Need to order myself another as I sold the fixed one off the ph1

Good to hear it solves the 3 wheel tendancy as that was the only thing that put me off the T on B road blasts

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just abuse it dave.

Glad you finally got round to fitting the ARB, sounds like you're equally as impressed as I was. Need to order myself another as I sold the fixed one off the ph1

Good to hear it solves the 3 wheel tendancy as that was the only thing that put me off the T on B road blasts

Oh i will abuse it, dont you worry ;)

Re: the Whiteline, it does solve the 3 wheeling, but id probably put it on soft (mine has 3 settings) for fast road tbh. Twitchy sideways action is good on track, but not on the road :eek: ...

Weeman sucks ****

Good effort and nice to see lots of miles on a clio. There's too many immaculate low milers in here ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Well after some late night eBay action over the past week, i now have the following sat in the server room at work :D Hopefully it'll get warmer at some point so i can fit some of it:

2 x Cobra Imola's in black/dirt
1 x rather used OMP side mount
1 x slightly less used Cobra Side Mount
1 x new(ish) OMP Subframe
Various Grade 12.9 High Tensile bolts, nuts & washers
A 'Momo' steering wheel boss
1 x finest taiwanese 350mm suede dished steering wheel

Next stop is another OMP Subframe, some Eibach camber bolts & Sportline springs - for less tyre wear/lean/added stiffness. oo err
shutup.gif

Over xmas i will also clean it. Probably
whistle.gif

330i. E30 Touring.

PMSL. So the guy now prays towards Cobra Imolas?

Clio RSI 1.6

Hey mate, see you do quite a bit of trackdays..thinking about going for a few myself.
Which ones have you done and how much money were they? How long do you get on the track for this price? Which was favourite etc?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Hey mate, see you do quite a bit of trackdays..thinking about going for a few myself.
Which ones have you done and how much money were they? How long do you get on the track for this price? Which was favourite etc?

Yeah, i've done a couple this year, not as many as Foxy/Whitely/Nick172Cup, etc though. I tend to do what are called open pitlane, which basically gives you from say 9.30-12, then 1-4.30 on track. Generally tend to do 20 min sessions througout that period though.

Costs, well, it adds up, for example, Brands Hatch a couple of weeks ago was:

Trackday Cost: £120
Helmet Hire & passenger cost (for Sarah): £20
Fuel to get there/drive around: £100
Oil Service before hand: £40

Then you've got modifications, general wear & tear, etc on top.

Its not a cheap hobby, especially when you're supposed to be saving for a house :rolleyes:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Its not a cheap hobby, especially when you're supposed to be saving for a house :rolleyes:

Why the hell would you want to do that??

Oh so you have something that will completely drain you of your 'play' money.....silly me! ;)

Clio RSI 1.6

How much driving on the actual track do you get for all that cost mate?