ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sim Rigs - Let’s see yours

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
XBox arrived today, just had my first F1 2023 session on it. I'm really pleased, I think I've gone the right way for me even though the library is a bit limited. Between F1 '23 and Forza Motorsport I've got plenty to try, and there's always the GRID series too.

It's nice to have my PC hooked back up to my good monitor for a bit of FPS shooty shooty death..... which is also making me want a better monitor for the sim setup because my ultrawide is soooooooooo much better than the ancient screen which is hooked up to the sim rig.

Now, a gaming ultrawide, or a honking great big 4K OLED TV.... decisions, decisions.

<sigh> it never ends, does it?
Satisfaction lasts for 15 mins before you look at the next thing to improve.

Just remember though, neither the Xbox or PS5 support UW monitor so you’d be left with black boxes either side of the display.

PC though is where the proper sims are. IRacing is next level with ACC also reasonable.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Good point, a sensible sized TV it is then.

I don’t think I’m ever going to be a proper sim driving fan, it takes too much concentration and effort. Immersive fun is where I’m at, not looking for anything more than that.

Definitely want a better wheel and pedals, the Logitech is a quantum leap over a controller but I want a more sensibly sized wheel and stronger, more informative force feedback.

s**t. It really does only take 15 minutes 😂

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Damn. I accidentally wondered into the John Lewis outlet store today, and was immediately set upon by a gang of vicious air fryers who demanded I buy a 42” LG OLED which was on offer, or they would fry sensitive bits of my anatomy (using minimal oil and sealing in the juicy goodness, for a healthy, delicious meal).

What’s a man to do in such a perilous situation? It would take a braver person than me to stand up to such dangerous hoodlums.

Clio
Not updated this in a while..... Still nothing from Fanatec, ignored my last two emails to customer support. I sent a third on the 29th Jan and still waiting.

Does anyone know what this might mean on the UPS claim?
1707306763361.png

That was the last update and UPS say nothing is required form me at the moment.

Just Fanatec messing up paperwork again?

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
Not updated this in a while..... Still nothing from Fanatec, ignored my last two emails to customer support. I sent a third on the 29th Jan and still waiting.

Does anyone know what this might mean on the UPS claim?
View attachment 1679385

That was the last update and UPS say nothing is required form me at the moment.

Just Fanatec messing up paperwork again?

Is there no way you can just ask Fanatec for your money back? This whole situation is incredible.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone looked into this new wheel from Turtle Beach? Looks to be great value for money but I'd be nervous about it being their first go in this space

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Anyone looked into this new wheel from Turtle Beach? Looks to be great value for money but I'd be nervous about it being their first go in this space
I think for the money I'd rather go with someone like Moza. You can spec their R5 to match that Turtle Beach for less.

Clio
Is there no way you can just ask Fanatec for your money back? This whole situation is incredible.
Problem is I have the wheel and pedals, its just the direct drive that hasn't turned up. It was bought as part of a bundle so I guess they'd want them sent back before refunding me anything. Do I trust them to be able to manage that? At least if I don't get the DD I can recoup a few quid on these bits.

And the fact that I have no way of getting in any sort of reasonable dialogue with them about anything doesn't help.

They did offer me my money back in November but I told them I wanted the product. Apparently on refunds they use a standard exchange rate that would leave me about £50-60 out of pocket anyway.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Do moza do a load cell pedal for sensible money? I can only see it on their £400 pedals
Ah I missed the load cell part, in which case it brings the price up a bit. You could upgrade the spring and damper for better feel, but the proper load cell ones are a lot more expensive. I wonder if you could use the Thrustmaster load cell pedals with the Moza base 🤔

182 FF Inferno

Looks more of a toy to me. And that's coming from someone who uses Thrustmaster! I wouldn't be considering it.

I'd like to go to Fanatec but from what I've read online, and following the issues Mace has been having, that's not going to happen. I'm also quite invested in the Thrustmaster ecosystem with 3 wheels and TSS handbrake.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Their £150 set has a load cell. Up to 75kg of pressure I believe
Is that actually a load cell? I can't actually tell, their website doesn't specifically say unlike on the CRP set.
Looks more of a toy to me. And that's coming from someone who uses Thrustmaster! I wouldn't be considering it.

I'd like to go to Fanatec but from what I've read online, and following the issues Mace has been having, that's not going to happen. I'm also quite invested in the Thrustmaster ecosystem with 3 wheels and TSS handbrake.
I do agree but I don't want to judge a book by its cover. I only have a G29 so I think it might be a good upgrade from that, will of course wait for the reviews.

I admit I have fallen for the gimmick of the screen, the button box, and the clutch paddles. You're not getting that at this price point from anyone else. It could of course mean that they have skimped on the important bits. We'll see

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Is that actually a load cell? I can't actually tell, their website doesn't specifically say unlike on the CRP set.

I do agree but I don't want to judge a book by its cover. I only have a G29 so I think it might be a good upgrade from that, will of course wait for the reviews.

I admit I have fallen for the gimmick of the screen, the button box, and the clutch paddles. You're not getting that at this price point from anyone else. It could of course mean that they have skimped on the important bits. We'll see

“The MOZA SR-P pedals feature high-tech load cell sensors with a 100KG capacity. These sensors detect precise braking pedal pressure, allowing users to achieve the ideal braking force by controlling pressure application.”

Taken from the website.

Remember the R5 bundle has the srp lite pedals which do not have a load cell.

I’ll be going the Moza ecosystem from the G29 I think. Was going to go Fanatec but like you say, these issues they keep having put me right off. At least Moza you can buy from vendors in the Uk.

Clio
I sat down last night and thought about what is the best route to take to get myself up and running.

Towards my setup I've got the following so far
34" curved monitor - ACER CZ342CUR
Fanatec CSL Pedals
Fanatec CSL P1 V2 wheel
Xbox Series S

The plan was to get:
Fanatec CSL 5nm DD
GT-Omega Prime Lite

That would have been enough to get me up and running.

If I bite the bullet and look to do this, will the Fanatec pedals and wheel be compatible? Again, this then leaves me in the hands of Fanatec for a load cell pedal
Moza R9 V2 DD
GT-Omega Prime Lite
Gaming PC

Would I be better going for the Moza R5 bundle with the pedals included and add the clutch pedal and brake upgrade kit?

That also takes me into gaming PCs I know nothing about. I'd like to build my own just for the experience, so is there a one stop shop where I can go to understand everything and what I need and why? Like an idiots guide. Also what it is going to cost?

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
With regards to gaming PCs you can spend whatever you like. I'm also a beginner and I found the easiest thing was to just buy a Laptop - a lot of people will scoff at this but I find it more than capable. I have an Asus with a 3070 and it can run everything I can throw at it even in VR on a quest 2 (which is amazing BTW) other advantages I can plug it in next to the TV for action/rpgs and streaming, then plug it in at the desk for FPS. I wouldn't want to be doing that with a desktop.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I sat down last night and thought about what is the best route to take to get myself up and running.

Towards my setup I've got the following so far
34" curved monitor - ACER CZ342CUR
Fanatec CSL Pedals
Fanatec CSL P1 V2 wheel
Xbox Series S

The plan was to get:
Fanatec CSL 5nm DD
GT-Omega Prime Lite

That would have been enough to get me up and running.

If I bite the bullet and look to do this, will the Fanatec pedals and wheel be compatible? Again, this then leaves me in the hands of Fanatec for a load cell pedal
Moza R9 V2 DD
GT-Omega Prime Lite
Gaming PC

Would I be better going for the Moza R5 bundle with the pedals included and add the clutch pedal and brake upgrade kit?

That also takes me into gaming PCs I know nothing about. I'd like to build my own just for the experience, so is there a one stop shop where I can go to understand everything and what I need and why? Like an idiots guide. Also what it is going to cost?
I'd watch some YouTube videos that do PC builds so you get an idea of where to spend money and which components you can save on.
Then go to somewhere like scan.co.uk or Overclockers where you can get all the components.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any recommendations on YT channels? I watch a few Linus Tech Tips ones but he is 100% nonce.
He used to be really useful 10 years ago but his channel is useless for actual advice nowadays. If you want to know what parts to buy then watch Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed. I prefer Gamers Nexus but both give a lot of information and comparisons.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Work in reverse @mace¬

Whats the budget ; That will define what you can have in terms of spec of not. Add in a % for overspend , just in case there is the super dooper much faster item for £10 more.

Whats the goal ; If you want to play 4k 120fps triple screen ACC with £350 its not going to happen.

Once you have those two you can often make something work.

Clio
Found this, not sure what any of it means yet but a good start?

So budget is:
£750 for the Sim Rig - sorted - cash put aside.

I reckon I now need
£500 - Moza Kit I can buy at the very end.

I guess I could go to a £1000 buying the bits I need over 3 months. That enough?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Any recommendations on YT channels? I watch a few Linus Tech Tips ones but he is 100% nonce.
Apart from his over the top energy, this guy does tons of builds, some of them in the level of detail you need to replicate yourself (or get an idea of required parts).
But also you'll get an idea of what you get at various price points and the sort of performance you can expect with the benchmarks.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Lol no sooner than saying this, Austin has done a full tutorial on picking and building a computer.

Disclaimer: it's 3hrs (although most of that is waiting for Windows to install) and I haven't watched it but I rate him as a tech YouTuber.

Clio
Watched a few Geekawhat and PC Centric last night, I get the theory behind it all now, GPUs were just numbers but benchmarks should sort that.

I'm going to use PC part picker this weekend see what I can come up with. Will report back so people can laugh at my choices

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you really want to build one yourself, and it's something I like doing so I totally get why you would, for the convenience and warranty cover I'd probably go prebuilt for how much little extra it usually costs.

But if you want something custom or tailored exactly to your needs, self build all the way. It's nice to be able to pick any case you want, for example.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Problem is I have the wheel and pedals, its just the direct drive that hasn't turned up. It was bought as part of a bundle so I guess they'd want them sent back before refunding me anything. Do I trust them to be able to manage that? At least if I don't get the DD I can recoup a few quid on these bits.

And the fact that I have no way of getting in any sort of reasonable dialogue with them about anything doesn't help.

They did offer me my money back in November but I told them I wanted the product. Apparently on refunds they use a standard exchange rate that would leave me about £50-60 out of pocket anyway.
Did you buy on a credit card? For the love of god say yes.

Just list out what’s happened, and that they have ignored your last two communications and claim back. If possible get a mate to re-order the bit you’re missing separately?? If that’s possible?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
On the refunds from Fanatec, they use the actual exchange rate but PayPal and credit cards generally have worse rates so the purchaser often loses out. It sucks, but not really their fault, currency fluctuations are just part of the game when buying abroad unfortunately. If only there was some way out of that, some sort of common shared currency for easy trading with your neighbours 😂

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
On the refunds from Fanatec, they use the actual exchange rate but PayPal and credit cards generally have worse rates so the purchaser often loses out. It sucks, but not really their fault, currency fluctuations are just part of the game when buying abroad unfortunately. If only there was some way out of that, some sort of common shared currency for easy trading with your neighbours 😂

Bitcoin?

Clio
Did you buy on a credit card? For the love of god say yes.

Just list out what’s happened, and that they have ignored your last two communications and claim back. If possible get a mate to re-order the bit you’re missing separately?? If that’s possible?
Nah, you over estimate my intelligence. Just bought with my debit card.

If I'm honest, never really thought about it, Well know reputable company.... or so I thought.

In my favour there is a 10 day limit on claiming back anyway. At 165 now

We do have progress though......
UPS still says I have nothing to do but I think they are admitting it was lost/stolen and waiting on Fanatec to provide paperwork.

This is now on the claim,,,,
1707562601333.png

But says this to me.....
1707562648172.png

Best result would be Fanatec just refund me the full amount, I have some pedals and a wheel and I can go somewhere else.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Where do you folks buy your odds and sods. I am moving from VR to a monitor setup and I am DIY with a few parts I cannot get from Trak Racer. I need a few bits like M8 hex bolts , the V nuts and a vesa mount.

I have the 8020 ali part coming from aliexpress.

cheersir.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Never buy direct from Trak Racer. They are useless. I used Demon Tweeks for their stuff.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Demon Tweeks have a nice fanatec setup which they claim is in stock. It’s a grand mind you, and you have to buy a steering wheel to go with it 😂

It’s got the 8nm DD wheel base and the load cell brake pedal though. Not sure how it compares price wise with buying direct, probably worse, would have to work it out. More than I want to spend though.

Just bought a new seat for my GT Omega rig. I find the current one really comfortable, but it’s not breathable which I find really odd for a seat designed for… errr… the larger framed individual. I don’t need one that big and I don’t like having a clammy back after a couple of hours so I’ve ordered a GT12 with a fabric cover to replace it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I also would suggest a standalone monitor stand as opposed to integrated. I found (when using a higher torque wheelbase) that it can lead to the monitor shaking quite a bit.