ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sidelights to math Xenon's?

Renault Clio 172
Sidelights to match Xenon's?

Hi all.

I've got a 172 ph2 with Xenon's, but obviously the sidelights are just normal.

Anyone recommend any bulbs that have the same blue effect as the Xenon's to put as my side lights?

Also, is it true that to get the headlight out, you have to take the bumper off? As I had to fit a new headlamp washer, and it seemed to get the headlight off there is a screw underneath the bumper by the grill that needs taking off?

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
you have to take the bumper off to fit new headlamp washers, yes. the headlamps don't have to come off for it though i dont think!

also LED sidelights are ok, but can't really see them through the day, moreso at night.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
best to remove them all together mate.
just leave the xenons in looks great imo.

Renault Clio 172
you have to take the bumper off to fit new headlamp washers, yes. the headlamps don't have to come off for it though i dont think!

also LED sidelights are ok, but can't really see them through the day, moreso at night.

Sorry, I meant do you have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out?

I managed to put the headlamp washer in without taking the bumper off. Just had to take out the foglight, the horn, my cold air intake pipe, etc, lol.

I dont mind if you can't really see the sidelights in the day, its just at night when I have the xenon's switched on, I dont think they look good with the sidelights as the xenon's are white, but the sidelights are just the normal bulbs.

Renault Clio 172
Just take them out..

Oh and they should ALWAYS be on!!

But do I have to take the bumper off to get to the headlights to take them out? Or is there a compartment at the back of the lights that I can access?

I agree actually, they always should be on! I might have to start doing that.... ;)

there's a bit at the back of the headlights that you can pop off (rubber bit) and reach in and take the bulb out. if you are taking the whole headlamp cluster off then its a bumper off job, but you dont ned to do that to replace bulbs :)

09 GIXXER 750!!!
Only 6 bolts to take the bumper off your way sounds like a pain!!! Just done my head lamp washers... Bumper off to remove headlight!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
easy enough to do all. i found that piaa do a brilliant range of bulbs to match xenons but they are pricey. sidelights are around 10-15 pounds but they finish it off.

S4 Avant
i swapped mine over last night, pictures in my project thread.

used the LED sidelights from halfords, and look much better than the standard ones.

Changing them is pretty straight forward, as said pop off the rubber cap that goes over the wires, I found it easier to take the full beam bulb out first, and that just twists 90 degrees anti clockwise, then reach down to the sidelights and pull them straightout

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I fitted some LED ones from halfrauds, were cheap, but the 'white' set have a slight blue tinge, ideal if you have xenons.........look a little odd on mine, having normal orange-y dipped and full beam (albiet Osram night breakers)....but not too bad.

Have yet to be pulled by the police too.....bonus......:rasp:

will take some pics for your reference, and add later if i can!

ph1 172
i know people on here are obsessed with xenons but i never thought i'd see somebody post asking for xenon sidelights!

Renault Clio 172
I fitted some LED ones from halfrauds, were cheap, but the 'white' set have a slight blue tinge, ideal if you have xenons.........look a little odd on mine, having normal orange-y dipped and full beam (albiet Osram night breakers)....but not too bad.

Have yet to be pulled by the police too.....bonus......:rasp:

will take some pics for your reference, and add later if i can!

Cheers mate

Renault Clio 172
i know people on here are obsessed with xenons but i never thought i'd see somebody post asking for xenon sidelights!

I didn't say I wanted Xenon sidelights, I want one's that match my Xenon's colour wise as my sidelights look odd with my xenon's on.

Do you not think that they look much better than normal headlights, let alone how much better they are in the dark visibility wise?

Im presuming you have not got Xenon's on your PH1? Maybe if you had some, it would be another case.

ph1 172
Ive been in a ph2 with xenons and they were not that amazing.
Granted they are brghter but in the unlikely event that i decide that my lights arent bright enough, i'll get higher wattage/brighter halogen bulbs.

exterior looks wise, with projector lenses, the only difference to normal headlights is the color and standard color is much easier on the eyes when driving for long periods.

people like different things though.

proton compact 1.3 GLi
ive got led's from halfords ... look poor in the day just like 2 dots ... look better in the dark ... but if u leave them on alone (only the sidelights on) they look brilliant but may attract unwanted attention off the police.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Are you sure they fit through the hole ? They are 11mm , the holes only about 10mm .

I have something similar to these . I bought mine from ultraleds but they don't sell them anymore for some reason . Been running mine for over 2 years now with no problems .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150298542870

These are mine .

LED4.jpg

LED3.jpg

LED2.jpg

Renault Clio 172
  Storm Grey 200
I removed mine completely after they started strobing, it looked crazy, i find LED sidelights break, lots.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Sorry i didnt get a chance to post pics.........ironically one of my side lights decided to start flickering on the way home from work......decided that may be a little bad so took it out. Will be finding the receipt and taking them back! Of the 4 LEDs in both only 2 in each is now working so I reccomend getting some decent ones, not cheap sh*tty ones.

Lesson learned.

The ones above actually look better than mine.......think I may try and get some better ones.

Had noticed when buying mine from Halfrauds, the do a single 'big' LED type also, not sure if that would be better or not......

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Well i've ordered some white LED's from eBay, so i'm hoping they have the same look as yours :)

Don't blame me if they go titsup after a few weeks . You can get good quality LEDS that will last and poor quality ones . But for the price it's worth risking it i suppose .

A bit of a tip . It's hard to change the drivers side LED due to the aircon . I used a bit of 10mm tubing with a split in and taped up to push in the LED with my right hand while i held the bulb holder with my left hand .

Hope this pics gives you a rough idea .Without the tubing i'd never have managed to change mine .Unless you have the hands of a small Philipino boy lol .

LEDANDTUBEUSE.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sorry i didnt get a chance to post pics.........ironically one of my side lights decided to start flickering on the way home from work......decided that may be a little bad so took it out. Will be finding the receipt and taking them back! Of the 4 LEDs in both only 2 in each is now working so I reccomend getting some decent ones, not cheap sh*tty ones.

Lesson learned.

The ones above actually look better than mine.......think I may try and get some better ones.

Had noticed when buying mine from Halfrauds, the do a single 'big' LED type also, not sure if that would be better or not......

When you say " big " , how big ? Cos the hole in the back of the headlight is only around 10mm wide .

Renault Clio 172
Don't blame me if they go titsup after a few weeks . You can get good quality LEDS that will last and poor quality ones . But for the price it's worth risking it i suppose .

A bit of a tip . It's hard to change the drivers side LED due to the aircon . I used a bit of 10mm tubing with a split in and taped up to push in the LED with my right hand while i held the bulb holder with my left hand .

Hope this pics gives you a rough idea .Without the tubing i'd never have managed to change mine .Unless you have the hands of a small Philipino boy lol .

That's brilliant, thanks