ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shuddering in 2nd gear??!

Clio 182 Trophy
So I've been driving my 182 for little under a week now, but today I noticed something.
When I pull hard in 2nd gear, as soon as the car reaches the around 5k revs the car starts to shudder from the front and it comes right up through the steering wheel, there is also a loud noise as if I had a flat tire.
This only happens in 2 gear. I knew when I bought the car that second gear occasionally crunched,
Could this be driveshafts? Maybe the gearbox? Or maybe a wheel bearing?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Only in second gear though AND at 5krpm? I assume that you've tried it at >5krpm in other gears also?

Check the basics first: Engine mounts, driveshafts, suspension mounting/bushings for signs of adverse play. If these are all fine then it has to be an internal box fault.

Mick

Clio 182 Trophy
Yes It's only in second gear it does it, forgot to mention also that it occasionally pops out of 2nd too.
It was up on the ramp the other day so I had a look at some stuff while it was up; the dog bone mount seems solid and the engine mount at the top on drivers side seems good. There is a lot of play in the linkage but it goes into all gears fine. The only other thing is that there was a tiny bit of play top to bottom on the front left wheel bearing. I didn't check driveshafts but I have a receipt for at least one (can't remember if it was both) being changed a couple years ago

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sort the linkage as the pivot bush and circlip are just over £5 new and it'll make a World of difference. I think it'll be a box issue though as its only in 2nd

Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks bud, Ill maybe just buy a second hand box and get it returned. In the meantime I'll get that linkage sorted