ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should the clio go?

Focus RS
At the end of june i will have had my 182 for a year, and to be honest i think its time for a change. Ive had no end of problems with it, most recent being

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=422730

i have my mind set on a mk1 Focus RS, ive always wanted one and compared to the clio they seem such a better build. But what i want to know, is has anyone made this change, a clio to a focus?

Will i end up changing and find ive made a horrible mistake? even though the clio is unreliable it is fun (when it works! lol) :S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Gary G on here went from a 182 to a FRS.

Worthwhile pm-ing him.

Nice guy to! :D

Renault Clio S
One of the journo's I work with has a new FRS as part of the magazine's 'fast fleet' collection - along with an ST and a Trophy the lucky g1t.

Apparently, when the MK1s came out there was a general consensus at that time, that the most power you could put through a front-wheel drive car was 200BHP before the handling suffered, but the RS was a stunning exception to the theory. The new one's have something daft like 300BHP?

Also, he reckon's the RS attracts loads of attention, especially as petrol stations, where people are always asking him questions about it. Something to bear in mind perhaps if you’re the sort of person who likes to go about their business unnoticed.

Clio 2.0 172
Going from experience I think theyre disappointing cars. My 172 isn't far off the arse off my mates one which has a sports cat and a Bluefin chip,it's up about 240bhp or something. The interior really isnt special at all! has the same indicator stalks as my work's transit van! A set of sparco seats really doesnt cut it above the rest of the focus range for me if I'm honest

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I love them, ill definatley be considering one as my next car.

Its worth getting over to the FRS forums, pretty handy i gather

Audi TT
Drove my mates when he had it quite a few times and was unimpressed. His was fiddled with a bit but can't remember the details or what it was running.

Overtakes in it are bum twitching sweaty palm experiences because of the torque steer. Really is a 50:50 chance whether it's gonna try and pull you into the back/side of the car you're overtaking or try and throw you in the offside ditch :(

Really found that you can only feed the power in gradually which makes me wonder what's the point in the power if you can't drop it on the tarmac.

As stated, the interiors aren't great either. Standard focus interior with bright blue bits.. Hmmmm. Not for me.

He went from an Evo VIII to the RS and I think it was a massive mistake. The evo rocked.

Peddled device
RS are cool cars but theres been a million write-ups in Evo about the LSD and torque-steer problems.Crazy thing is some are poor to drive and some are okay.You'd have to try a few (their advice also) but from what l read its not a big step up from an RS Clio to an RS Focus mk1.

Sounds like you had a duffer of an engine but don't let that put you off the 182.