ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should i get 180/197/200?

182 trophy
Hi I'm 17 and coming up for my first year no claims, does anyone know how much insurance is on these 3 cars for an 18 year old and no claims. I've seen the 197/200 is a insurance group lower than the 180 as well, would it make much difference?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Run a few quotes on go compare etc and be ready for a shock! These are not cheap to insure, my guess is you will be looking at at least 2k+

107 Track Car & C4
If he works for it then I can't see how it is waste. I'd rather pay £1800 for a Cup at 18 than probably £1300 on some 1.0l s***box.

197/200's are considerably cheaper to insure than 1*2's.

Young people haven't had the chance to wrap them round trees yet so insurance isnt bad.

Mind you, I don't think anyone is ready for a 2 litre of any kind at 18.

107 Track Car & C4
Mind you, I don't think anyone is ready for a 2 litre of any kind at 18.

I'd disagree with that, If you are sensible and don't go everywhere at silly speeds it isn't an issue. I've had 2ltr cars ever since I was 17 (22 now) and never crashed yet. Same with a few of my mates.

I think if you are spending that much om insurance, you'll less likely to drive like a tool and write it off.

I'd disagree with that, If you are sensible and don't go everywhere at silly speeds it isn't an issue. I've had 2ltr cars ever since I was 17 (22 now) and never crashed yet. Same with a few of my mates.

I think if you are spending that much on insurance, you'll less likely to drive like a tool and write it off.

Obviously my statement was quite broad, most people aren't experienced/sensible enough to deal with a 2.0 litre at 18.

I'm sure you know as well as I do that how much people pay for insurance doesn't dictate the way anyone drives.

I've known people with £2k+ insurance to roll cars within days! Once you've got the radio going or a few mates in the car, you soon forget how much you paid for insurance!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Insurance is daft in NI .. but also daft for yoofs these days. I'm so glad I'm over that !!!

The reason it's so high is every 17/18 y/o buys the same bloody car then a lot of them get stuffed into the side of buses etc .. if you drive a Matiz/ Micra for example, the number of yoofs who have smashed them up is soooo much lower, so theoretically your policy should be less than a Clio/ Fiesta.

OP - If you've got more money than sense, buy the car and insure it. Do some quotes first though just incase you realise that £5k isn't quite what you had in mind for a yearly policy...!

You know on insurance comparison sites, you are meant to choose the lowest price, not the highest?

wait...WHAT?! you mean higher ISNT better?! i've been had! Best one was they told me 3500 FC and i asked them (á la topgear) if they seriously thought i'd write the car off 7 times in a year. That thing was sucha bad car though, some poor sod stroked it from the side of a carrigeway and i bet they regretted that. no working heat, buggered clutch. Only thing they got worthwhile was a full tank of petrol and my ma's good saucepans.

thankfully(or not?) i'm now on about 800tpft for the 1.4 clio and dropping. Managed to keep my NCB somehow after the theft of the Skank-Tank!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Oh yay, another pointless insurance thread. Each of you brings a COMPLETELY different risk to the insurer, so it is utterly pointless comparing quotes.

182 FF
If you have a lot of money to blow then go for it! you are going to be stung on any insurance for being young and wanting One of these if you want the policy in your name. if you are on a budget then have a good think because insurance is only one part of owning a fast car, every other aspect of it will cost you more than running 1.2's and so on.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Why not phone your insurance company and let them tell you how much it'll be as oposed to asking people who know absolutley nothing of your circumstances guess?

Renault Clio MK4 RS
197 / 200's are considerably cheaper to insure than a 172 / 182.

Only difference is you can pick up a 172 nowadays for £1000 in good condition whilst a 197 for a good nick is like £6000+? Not sure on the 197 but the insurance you could pay in full for the 172 and have money left over due to the 197 being much newer. But either way im waiting until i turn 21 to get anything faster than my 1.2 as i will have 2 years no claims then so should drop considerably when i decide to get a new car :)

182 trophy
Well in paying 3100 on a clio 1.2 16v and been quoted for £1800 on 200 cup, anyone know if there is much difference between the 197 and 200?