ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Short on board vid of my Clio at Combe today....

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
LOVE my little Clio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OYQtse7zo

took an ABSOLUTE f**king BEASTING all day at Combe!!!

and drove there and back BEAUTIFULLY as well!!!

MASSIVE MASSIVE THANKS TO MARK FISH MOTORSPORT FOR ALL HIS AMAZING SET UP WORK ON IT!!!!

and thanks to Mark at Jamsport for taking my calls and questions about his old car at all hours!!!

Mark REALLY pulled out all the stops and worked flat out on it to get it ready for Combe after I gave him just 2 days to play with after my Westy broke!

with new seats and harnesses and steering wheel it really feels the part now!

If you have a clio and you want it to really handle and take EVERYTHING you can throw at it.... take it to Mark Fish Motorsport!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Very hearty laugh indeed!

Maybe the Cossie driver didn't want u to crash into him, hence why he let u pass.. lol

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
been thinking about ITBS since I got it.....

Just don't wanna make the car unreliable though. It has enough power to have fun and without sounding like a flash tw4t... but if I wanna go fast in straight line I have other options in garage. I like being the underdog in the Clio and using my driving skill to get best out of car and play with much 'faster' and 'better' cars if you know what I mean? ;)

Clio is just pure fun and I need it to be RELIABLE above all else. I dont wanna start stressing the drivetrain and breaking it.

I am VERY VERY VERY hard on trackcars... I mean SILLY hard.

I DO fancy ITB's and and umming and arrring all the time... but DON'T want things to get out of control and unreliable like they normally do when I buy a cheap car! in the 3 months I have owned it I have spent £14k already.... and its still standardish power!

I just cant see it lasting if I give it more bhp....

as you can tell though... I have been thinking about it LOTS!!!!!!

I have a funny feeling when it goes back to mark fish next week, its gonna need a new clutch for example... and its already got an uprated one on it!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
[YOUTUBE]7rbAKV2tv98[/YOUTUBE]

Just to wet you're appetite Porkie ;)

Yozzazports 240bhp ITB'd 172 Cup!

Lionel Richie
and you'd have change from £14K to build the same car from scratch including sourcing a car! i know, i built the thing

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
its NOT building it!!! its maintaining it!!!!

I BREAK EVERYTHING!!!!!

that figure includes stuff like new rollcage, new sets of wheels, new seats, harnesses etc etc...

and all marks labour!!! all those little things that you guys take for granted like changing pads or fitting seats or even just changing the oil or pads... I cant do. Tried in past... I am just a r****d with a spanner and dont like or want to do anything other than drive the cars.

I am VERY VERY happy with mark and he properly looks after me cost wise. Its had ALOT of new parts that were semi worn and I just said do EVERTHING thats even remotely worn... and it all adds up. Stuff like new sport cat instead of decat and all that kinda stuff. All few hundred here and there...

RenaultSport 172
14k!! FFS!!

Looks like it goes really well pal!!! Thumbs up!!

Do you have a project diary on here? Or a quick spec?

Lionel Richie
Mark Fish is the best, championship winning team and all that, but he ain't cheap, as you know, you get what you pay for!

the car in the video had to have its box rebuilt 1-2 times a year, oil was 10W60 which ain't cheap, ball joints, track rods etc etc, as you say its not a cheap hobby! LOL

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
nice vid!

how loud are the ITB's on a cruise?

wheres best place to get them done?

by the way Fred, I really like the way you come across on here. obviously VERY knowledgable and VERY experienced in all things Clio.... but you don't ram it down peoples throats or be a 'know it all' keyboard warrior!

like your 'friendly' hint about heel and towing... ;)

You seem very cool guy....

few other questions....

how reliable is an ITB'd engine?
any internal mods needed?

Drive train? what breaks?

I take it with 200bhp a diff is needed? ATB or plated?

DB.

BMW 440i
I bet Mark loves you too! Lol awesome video, need more pics and write ups of your car!!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Mark Fish is the best, championship winning team and all that, but he ain't cheap, as you know, you get what you pay for!

the car in the video had to have its box rebuilt 1-2 times a year, oil was 10W60 which ain't cheap, ball joints, track rods etc etc, as you say its not a cheap hobby! LOL

PERFECT example of what I just posted about you! :) :cool:

I dont wanna be rebuilding boxes and stuff mate....

and yes... I have had ball joints and track rods already! and other stuff like gearbox mount which was cracked everywhere!!!

the parts list is huge!

mark always looks after me! so much that I normally give him some extra on the bill as so pleased!

Wish I had met him years ago!

Lionel Richie
cheers fella, i know you reyland boys are a bit mental, i remeber when Martin was round the back of that catering place in sparkhill (i'm a local Brummie too ;))

to be honest the whole ITB thing isn't really neccesary unless you want to throw huge cash at it, a clio with just ITB's (cira 200bhp 165lbs/ft) won't really be any quicker than a well sorted cup with minor engine work (remap etc) that's well driven IMO

the engines are strong, as with anything it all boils down to mapping (as you'll know from the cosworths) and installation of harware/electronics regarding reliability

a lot of the hardcore track day boys run stock engines

gearboxes -

diffs help them well, but again that 240bhp car ran a stock box with a good suspension setup and organic traction control, worked well haha!

synchros always start crunching if you bang it through the gears/don't heal and toe/don't look after it, i promise you WILL have to change the box/rebuild it at some point 100% going to happen :(

E39 M5 & Corsa track
wish you would stop posting these videos and pics, i want another one so badly! such a great fun car that, one of the best cars iv owned!

53 Clio's & counting
Mine is now near 136,000 miles, and im on itb's and its 192 bhp at the mo, going back for another mapping session next month, so hoping for 195 bhp

Fitting itb's is nice, mines knocked a second off my 0-60 time, and I dont need as much revs to get going as it has a lot more torque lower down.

I wouldnt worry about reliability wih itb's also, I drive mine VERY hard, and have done throughtout the 45 odd thousand miles iv had it, as long as you look after it (which you do) then the engine will be fine :)

Evo 5 RS
this ^ of course if its 100% track bound then like Fred said your 3rd/2nd gear syncros will be f'ed in no time they are well and truly shite