ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shocks/dampers - rebound to set position or not ? (KW V2's)

Track 172cup
Just a quick one thats got me a bit puzzled.....

Should you be able to fully extend and compress a shock/damper and it stay in that position or should it rebound to a 'set' position ? I know the shock is there to dampen the resonance/bounce caused by the spring but for some reason i had in my head that it should still return to a set position when not under load (off the car)

Bought a set of KW coilovers and in this case it's the rears i'm talking about (basically Koni adjustables)

oh and if anyone has the installation instructions they could send over then it would be much appreciated as i need to find out if the 2 large metal washers/collars and the black plastic bit above the bump stop in the pic below are needed as they didn't come with them

kw20complete.jpg

Last edited:
My Koni adjustable shocks I had didn't extend fully when they were off the car. I was concerned about it and asked around and was told it was normal. They damped perfectly fine once they were on the car as well.

Re. Instructions, are you referring to the rear shocks, and the two metal washers with two rubber bits inbetween at the top?

I have a Fubar'd Vmaxx rear shock, and when I compressed it off the car, it just stayed fully compressed, didn't slide back up.
Had been leaking fluid though.

Track 172cup
cheers Jon i think thats the case

i think i'm right in saying that it depends on what the shocks are filled with (gas or oil)

Gas - should rebound
Oil - won't rebound and will stay in the same position

getting mixed info about what the KW's/Koni's are, some say oil/hydraulic (twin tube) and some say mono-tube high pressure gas....

yeh thats the one James, was told they will be on my current suspension so could just reuse them, will see when i get it apart

phase 1 flamer 172
Think you answered your own question, yes the pressure of the gas makes them return to the extended position.

Track 172cup
Think you answered your own question, yes the pressure of the gas makes them return to the extended position.

not quite

i think i'm right in saying that it depends on what the shocks are filled with (gas or oil)

Gas - should rebound
Oil - won't rebound and will stay in the same position

getting mixed info about what the KW's/Koni's are, some say oil/hydraulic (twin tube) and some say mono-tube high pressure gas....

The rears are twin tube for definite mate. I have them re-valved to suit my application thats how i know.

excellent mate cheers, thats means they should be oil so mine are all good and as they should be :)

They should definitely rebound a bit I'd have thought? Maybe not to exactly the same length each time..

Re. the bits on the top of the rear shocks, the OEM ones are similar, not the same though.
Should've come with them really, but if they fit, I can't see a problem with using the OEM ones off your old shocks. Essentially do the same thing.

You can see the layout from my picture, the black line is the hole in the chassis:

DSC00858-1.jpg

OEM ones are slightly different. The top rubber bit doesn't have the big silver washer, has a metal insert sitting in the top.
It'll make sense when you see it.

Track 172cup
sorry just noticed your post James, cheers for that mate and as said once i get round to fitting them then i'll see whats what ;)