ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shared Ownership of a car

Is co-owning a track car with my boss a good idea?

• Heck yes

• Hell no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  330i. E30 Touring.
you know what some people are like on here, I remember some one asked,"where do I have my belts done" birchdown or northwest performance?..about 30 people said birchdown ,no one said nwp..then he said,he has just booked it into nwp.. ha

LOL at NWP. They're a blast from the past.

you know what some people are like on here, I remember some one asked,"where do I have my belts done" birchdown or northwest performance?..about 30 people said birchdown ,no one said nwp..then he said,he has just booked it into nwp.. ha

That's actually pretty impressive, most ones I see they completely ignore the advice and go the other way, at least he listened to someone, albeit only 1 person :D

Looking for 182 Cup
The fact you are still contemplating it worries me more than the fact you asked the question, sorry.

A lot of people have said that it could make sense on a 50/50 track car only arrangement so not all of the opinions are the same as yours. I am sorry for having free will and the ability to make my own decisions though :p

Looking for 182 Cup
The fact you are still contemplating it worries me more than the fact you asked the question, sorry.

Plenty of people (both in this thread and in my friend group) have said that it could make sense on a 50/50 track car only arrangement so not all of the opinions are the same as yours. I am sorry for having free will and the ability to make my own decisions though :tongueout:

182 ff
Plenty of people (both in this thread and in my friend group) have said that it could make sense on a 50/50 track car only arrangement so not all of the opinions are the same as yours. I am sorry for having free will and the ability to make my own decisions though :tongueout:
its your choice, if it saves you money ,maybe a good idea.. If he's going half on the tax ,insurance and mot and track time. You get to use in the week..do your know maths.. without the MD and with the MD..he may be a good boss,and wants to do you a favour..i have never owned a track car before..i don't no the cost. Cant you get other employees,so its a 3rd/4th of the cost ..dont use the car in the week,make it a company track car,so its even less money for you..if you do like it,in time get your own car. get the boss to get the company livery on the car..free advertising for him.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've done it, bailed after only a few months. Had different ideas about the modifications we wanted to do for tracking it. Bought my own, much happier.

Clio 182 FF
The idea is great, but in my opinion it'd be a nightmare.

I 50/50 split previously with a good friend and it worked perfectly, but there was no need for a written agreement - everything was split 50/50 - still pee'd us both off though when one of us decided it needed new tyres or a refresh of suspension, bushes, new clutch, service etc. Or one of us had a better day than the other due to the other one killing the tyres on the previous session due to driving like a t**t trying to chase down someone ...getting red mist haha. But we still split 50/50 - as that was what we agreed.
In the end he bought me out as family life took over for me and I couldnt get to the track as often as I wanted to.

I also agree with @GrahamS above - we had different ideas on mods too, plus tyre specs, car set up - who was trailoring it this week, which meetings to attend, which weekend we were racing etc. We always came to an agreement, but we compromised with each other and wre best mates.

Will your MD be as flexible ?

That was with a mate who I had (and still do have) a lot of time for - no written agreement needed and a written agreement would have only made any frustrations worse I believe. There should be enough trust and respect whereby its simple, split / dont split - no argument.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The above is exactly what I had. It was with my best mate but in the end it was always going to be one person driving whatever work or costs there were which was a pain. My current track car is good because I always invite him down still and I say if he wants a go I need a contribution to the consumables/track day.