ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

settle an arguement

after the thread regaurding if cats were or werent legal there seemed to be confusion as to wether a car without a cat will pass an MOT or not. some argued that it will pass providing it doesnt fail an emissions test and others that the car had to have a cat fitted to pass regardless of the emissions. can anyone give me a definative answer to this and possably a link to something that states that the car either does or does not need a cat to pass the MOT ? cheers

Far as I know mate, any car from H-reg onwards was suppose to be fitted with a cat.

This is required to pass an MOT.

Thing is, some cars can actually pass an MOT without a cat, which is lucky I guess.

Wot im gonna do, is take it for an MOT with the cat off, and then if it fails put the cat back on. The re-test doesnt cost me a penny, so why not try it out - i guess.

The Jinx

93-94 was the mandatory deadline for fitment of cats I thought. Some cars had them before but arent a legal requirement.

Anyone know the exact from registration prefix?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ok, heres what the deal is...

From Aug 92 (K-Reg on) it was law for new petrol cars to meet newer more strict emissions regs so cats were basically standard from this point.

However, you do NOT legally require a cat on any car as long as it passes the emissions tests at an MOT, so if it is a low emission vehicle and will pass without then you aint breaking any laws!

Thing is... most cars do need a cat to pass.

rich do you have any idea where this might be on some recognised bodies site etc as one of my colleagues will not believe this unless its written down somewhere as he has just asked a mate of his who is an mot tester and he has told him verbally that you DO need a cat to pass

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

When you get your car MOTed they check your emmisions not whether you have a Cat or not!

If it passes the emmisions test then your car is road legal if doesnt pass like most cars with any performance to them then it isnt road legal. Simple as that!

Mk2 Golf GTI

Al about emissions, doesnt make a difference whether they have a cat or not... as long as it is within the legal limit