ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up coilovers!!

Clio 172 cup
Evening all or morning should I say, I'm new to all this Clio stuff!!
I'm in need of advice concerning coilovers, how to set up, camber adjustment etc
I've purchased a set of k-tec with no destructions!!
Not even attempted anything yet,
Rear looks easy, front mmmm bit tricky!
Please if anyone could advise me!!

1.2 MK2
also need some advice on this ... got my FK highsports fitted today and need to adjust them in the morning :) ... advise on doing this would also be good ! lol

172/1.2/E30
For camber and toe settings you´ll need a proper wheel alignment (done at a trusted garage). But you should adjust the ride height before by adjusting the lower spring platform.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Use a pair vernier caliper to correctly determine a height from side to side / front to back - then measure from wheel centre to arch.

then adjust to get them all the same (back's - then fronts etc) once at a nice level (not low to start) use a white marker pen to mark the centre so you can adjust later on (1 turn) etc

Then I would go to a alignment place to get the camber / toe adjusted correctly... wait for the springs to settle, then SLAM IT ON ITS ARSE y0s - and ruin it.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i wouldnt bother using a vernier, since the second you get in/put something in the boot/fill up with petrol, you'll throw it all out!

just count the number of threads to the bottom of the coilover to do the side to side adjustment,
and as for front to back, just have it a little bit nose down, and keep adjusting it until it sits how you want it!!

as for adjsuting the camber, youll need to go to a trusted garage to get it done properly!

Arctic Blue FF 182
As people have said above, you need to get your tracking done by a trusted garage and get the camber set up.

Ideally you would also get your car corner weighted on a set of flat patches so that the weight of the car is distributed around the 4 corners. This is recommended in order to set up the car properly, but unless your doing track days or some serious B road driving then you could possibly get away with not doing this as long as you set the platform heights the same side to side.

Clio 172 cup
Ok thanks for your advice guys, think I'm gonna get stressed out on Sunday when I do this! Any tips for stress relief?
I'll see how I get on, will keep you informed

1.2 MK2
cheers for the advise guys ! ... had a go adjusting them this morning ... they were proper tight with the C spanner though, is this common ? and also a bit of a stupid question but which way should i be turning the coilovers to go lower ? haha

It's pretty simple to do. Just find a point to measure from down the bottom of the shock, and measure up to the bottom of the bottom adjustment ring.
Make sure its the same both sides.

As for camber/alignment this is nigh on impossible to do accurately yourself. Just judge the camber as best you can, by looking at where the bolt sits in the U shaped collar thing (if your coilovers have this)
Then once your happy with the height take them somewhere that does laser wheel alignment and get that done, along with tracking.
Otherwise the car will feel horrible to drive most likely, and steering wheel might not sit straight,

Ph 1 172
Get the ride height as close as you can then dive around for a bit so everything settles (springs n wot not) then get the wheel alignment sorted and check ride height as it will change slightly

Clio 172 cup
Thanks for your advice guys, will defo give it a go, hope I'm lucky and getting it spot on first time lol,

172 cup, Impreza P1
If you get your tracking and camber done then adjust the ride height, does this knock it out again?

I need to raise the front on mine slightly to stop rubbing on the arch liner but dont want to screw up the alignment.