ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Service life of 1.5 DCI high pressure pump - cambelt driven?

Hi all,

I am picking up my dci 80 on Saturday, will be giving everything a service and a clean up engine wise, I know that the high pressure pumps can fail and throw shards around the fuel system. Is this unit cam belt driven or is it on an aux belt? I only ask as I might want to change it out before it starts having issues, I will probably also be adding some additional additive into the fuel to ensure that its still properly lubricated.

I take it the pump is steel rather than aluminium? I was just thinking about perhaps adding some magnets around the fuel filter which might help catch any stay shards if something does start to go.

What is the usual service life of the high pressure pump?

Thanks in advance!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep cambelt driven, wouldn't worry about these fuel additives, save your cash. the car was designed to run without them! some fail well under 100k miles others run fine towards and passed 200k!

Hmm thanks for that, seems to be a mixxed bag, I guess it depends on how good the fuel is that is going through the system, is there anything that would specifically point to one failing? I am guessing it would sound noisy? Is there anywhere I can check for shards etc in the system? I will be swapping out the fuel filter so I guess I could cut that open and check?

clio dci , ren8
Before you start panicking regarding pumps ,its not always the pump at fault ,the injectors can shut down due to electrical failure a leak back check would confirm this ,if you wanted to check for metal contamination you could remove the fuel sender unit & check the tank .The metal shards are magnetic .

Thanks for that, I'm not panicing yet as it might be something really simple like the EGR being clogged - just thinking preventative things as well, I am picking the car up tomorrow. I will be changing the fuel filter over the weekend and will be cutting it open to check if there is anything, will also probably remove the fuel sender unit if the light is still intermittently flashing after I clean the EGR and inlet pipe.

Its probably nothing but I just want to make sure the car is reliable and works as efficiently as possible - mainly for peace of mind as I think I will be keeping this car for a while.