ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Server p**n

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
528633_10150954225137391_2102828496_n.jpg

406217_10150954226392391_1285005750_n.jpg

Today i have been mostly building Clusters, Sans and ESX hosts - Fcuk yeah!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh, you're a dull cnut?

If i'd have known that I wouldn't have bothered talking to you.

Rav4
Nice, what ESXi hosts are you running and how do you have it set up ?

Just about to purchase 3 x R515's with dual Hex's or 3 x R720's :D for a small ESXi environment

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
All my years in IT and I still fail to get that excited about kit, tin is tin to me, but then I was never really a through and through techy even when in those sorts of jobs.

Still looks like a fun little toy to play with, where are the proper racks? :p

I jest, last time I got near racks of any kit they were in rather large data centres so my view of things is a bit skewed lol.

Alright mate, I sell IBM servers and storage - do you sell hardware? Would love to speak to you about IBM if so..

Work for IBM or a reseller? ;)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, what ESXi hosts are you running and how do you have it set up ?

Just about to purchase 3 x R515's with dual Hex's or 3 x R720's :D for a small ESXi environment

3 x DL380 G6/7 64gb ram each, 3 datacentre 2008 licenses which should be good for about 50 virtual machines.

A fcuk load of TBs in storage 20 odd i think. Tbh i dont know a lot about vmware, we have a company doing it all for us. Vmcentre and veam will be running on windows server 2008. Arcserve r16 disk to tape backups.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Do the servers only have 1 processor in them?

And it's vCenter and Veeam ;)

Is the p2000 fc or iscsi?

With esxi, you should have just used an sd card in the server rather than buying hard drives, no need for hdds these days, slap a 4gb card in, bobs your uncle. San disk shelves have a fault too ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FYI I build the server rooms for a living, how's the APC kit treating you?

Just installed a fair bit of UPS kit from them, not too shabby at all.

Evo 5 RS
I can reflow a GPU and fix practically anything that has an electrical current under the sun.

And this s**t even bores me.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do sometimes wonder if any of you server geeks are on any of our sites TBH. There's so many engineers etc that turn up, it could quite easily be one of you.

Funnily enough after chatting to Sy at the weekend, turns out he's worked where I have.

Rav4
3 x DL380 G6/7 64gb ram each, 3 datacentre 2008 licenses which should be good for about 50 virtual machines.

A fcuk load of TBs in storage 20 odd i think. Tbh i dont know a lot about vmware, we have a company doing it all for us. Vmcentre and veam will be running on windows server 2008. Arcserve r16 disk to tape backups.

Awesome :)

DC licenses are based per processor and with 2008, you need a minimum of two per server, so in this instance you will require 6 licenses :p but yes, it's great as you can really scale up. There are many other advantages with the datacentre licenses.

That is a lot of storage, what raid are you using?

Great stuff :)

Rav4
Do the servers only have 1 processor in them?

And it's vCenter and Veeam ;)

Is the p2000 fc or iscsi?

With esxi, you should have just used an sd card in the server rather than buying hard drives, no need for hdds these days, slap a 4gb card in, bobs your uncle. San disk shelves have a fault too ;)

You can also use an USB stick, if your servers don't have SD slots, most motherboards have 1 or 2 as a minimum internal USB slots..... use a good quality USB stick though.

There are a lot of professionals/consultants, that still have ESXi installed on a couple of drives on a RAID 1, even seen some installing it on a couple of 15k SAS drives, which is just ridiculous.

Clio 172
I do sometimes wonder if any of you server geeks are on any of our sites TBH. There's so many engineers etc that turn up, it could quite easily be one of you.

Funnily enough after chatting to Sy at the weekend, turns out he's worked where I have.

Where/Who do you work for mate?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I work all over really, currently based London Docklands/Charlton. Have worked in watford, medway, central london, sunbury...

Work for a company called Saradan at the moment, previously worked for QTEC (part of Quantech). It's the people we work for that you'd be more familiar with, but I can't really name them.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I work all over really, currently based London Docklands/Charlton. Have worked in watford, medway, central london, sunbury...

Work for a company called Saradan at the moment, previously worked for QTEC (part of Quantech). It's the people we work for that you'd be more familiar with, but I can't really name them.
I'm in telecity in docklands next friday

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'm working in sovereign house I think, installing a Hp Eva, at least I won't have to worry about Olympics traffic

dk

911 GTS Cab
Displaced the incumbent HP system for peanuts, so can't complain :-D
That's the only reason they are getting kit out there, they are buying market share, it's nowhere near as well built and put together as Hp, and unless you're a Cisco expert, very difficult for a server guy to manage.

Im an installation engineer for both, andnid choose Hp with flexfabric everyday, uplinking to Cisco nexus 5000 switches though.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
hmmm, done a nice 18 hour day with this lot so far. p2v ing 1.6 tb took 16 hours! Just need to installed win 2008, veeam (thanks dk) and vcentre and we're nearly there.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Out of interest, where in Medway did you work? Thats where I live!

It's a site we're waiting for an investor on, but all the strip out's done.

It's some industrial area near a big asda or sainburys, can't remember which, sorry!

When the fit out kicks off I'll let you know!

I'm in telecity in docklands next friday

Really??? How weird! We've done stuff over at harbour exchange in the past and also I think, are currently looking at something big for them, but I'm not sure on that, so shh as it could be someone entirely different.. lol!

Richy, we've just installed a huge set of those symmetra's, 4x 250kva sets.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Cabling re done with patchsee now. Had an issue with our file server not syncing after the p2v = 1 day of lost data and lots of unhappy users! Great!

Not a 320d
This s**t has its appeal. It's the software side that's about as interesting as white emulsion...... :)

D.

Amen.

My mate does software development - Runs a network for a small local company but also writes code for them. Their own email program, fault logging system etc. Ive looked at coding before - f**k that for a laugh.

All about the hardware for me.

Which is why im still un-employed two months out of uni.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Never really been a software person either, although in this current job whilst by no means directly involved in any coding or application stuff I am touching on it more and more considering the account I support is basically one big application we develop and support for them :)