ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Server Guys ! Quick help needed !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
One of the drives in a RAID5 array has failed in one of the dell servers in my work.. am about to order two replacements... but..

Is an SCA2 drive able to connect to an SCA controller.. ?

I can't find ANY conclusive evidence either way KDF.
Seems weird.. you would think it would be OK though, but can't say for sure, or find somewhere which does say for sure.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Can be a bit iffy this one. The only ones I've personally come across are the larger 80-pin drives, but I'm led to believe that these are falling behind the times now, in favour of the 68-pin version. What I don't understand about this though, is the fact that the 68-pin drive comes with an additional power coupling. Surely that defeats the whole idea of the Single Connector Attachment idea? :S

Does the SCA drive slot straight onto the rear of the drive cage, or is it connected via cable? I'd be surprised if it was a cable, but as I've never bought a Dell server, so I couldn't really say. The HP Proliant ones we use; have prodominantly been the 80-pin slot - straight onto the rear of the drive backplane.

D.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
sorry dude, never come across SCA?

Cheers anyway.

I can't find ANY conclusive evidence either way KDF.
Seems weird.. you would think it would be OK though, but can't say for sure, or find somewhere which does say for sure.

Ye, I know its really bugging me lol ! I do try and find these things out for myself before posting.. but all I could get was SCA2 was a revision of SCA because there were some problems with the design of SCA... no mention of backward compatibility :S

Can be a bit iffy this one. The only ones I've personally come across are the larger 80-pin drives, but I'm led to believe that these are falling behind the times now, in favour of the 68-pin version. What I don't understand about this though, is the fact that the 68-pin drive comes with an additional power coupling. Surely that defeats the whole idea of the Single Connector Attachment idea? :S

Does the SCA drive slot straight onto the rear of the drive cage, or is it connected via cable? I'd be surprised if it was a cable, but as I've never bought a Dell server, so I couldn't really say. The HP Proliant ones we use; have prodominantly been the 80-pin slot - straight onto the rear of the drive backplane.

D.

The Server is slightly older so is using the 80pin SCA. The SCA on the drive connects directly to the backplane. The drives are held in a quick release caddy as they are hot-pluggable.

Well I have 2 80pin 15k SCA2 Cheetah's on the way and will be here by noon tommorow so I will be sure to post back the results. If the drives work I will be rebuilding the array with a spare so this doesn't happen again.

KDF said:
Well, I plugged them in, I lost the RAID array, and then smoke started to come out of the back. It then burst into flames, took the whole rack out, then took the room out. I'm now left with no servers.

Oh, by the way, SCA2 drives don't work on an SCA controller.

;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
KDF said:
Well, I plugged them in, I lost the RAID array, and then smoke started to come out of the back. It then burst into flames, took the whole rack out, then took the room out. I'm now left with no servers.

Oh, by the way, SCA2 drives don't work on an SCA controller.

;)

pmsl.

You should have seen the smoke and the top fly off a chip the other week when my boss accidentally connected a high current 12V supply to a 5V rail......

nothing..nothing...bang...tio of chipi flying across the room...smoke..smell...whoops.

Theres a lot to be said to plugging things in without making smoke & fire!

Make sure you've got your extra can of tennants super ready...just in case ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
w000p !

SCA2 drive works fine with SCA backplane, and the RAID array is rebuilding as I type.

:)

*starts putting the fire exinguishers back*

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Knowsit !!

The arse of it is the 6th drive bay only had a blanking plate style caddy on it so until Dell deliver me a new caddy I can't install the spare drive into the RAID array.

The other problem with RAID arrays is normally all the drives will have been bought at the same time and used for the same amount of time, meaning if one drive goes its a good sign the others may be on there way out !

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Daz just sits in front of his servers all day wearing his tommy hilfiger summer jacket and letting the ladies admire him from a distance....ladies love the server.

dk

911 GTS Cab
not sure why i've not come across this sca before, is thisd something dell use in their terminology/literature as i've never heard it from HP, but then HP have had about 3 different designs of drive over the past 10 or so years, dell just make whatever they can at the time and whats cheapest, not really much commonality really from what i see, when i have a hp drive go its very easy to get the right drive quickly, but then this wouldn't have happened on any of our hp servers as we have pre-failure warranty on them so before they even fail we get a new one turn up and can replace it before it even fails, now thats service!

pmsl.

You should have seen the smoke and the top fly off a chip the other week when my boss accidentally connected a high current 12V supply to a 5V rail......

nothing..nothing...bang...tio of chipi flying across the room...smoke..smell...whoops.

Theres a lot to be said to plugging things in without making smoke & fire!

Make sure you've got your extra can of tennants super ready...just in case ;)

See, that's the sort of technology and fun I'm talking about!

Hang on. If the network guys are cool and the server mob are geeks...... and you're both - surely that means that they cancel each other out? In which case, you're a nothing?? :clown:

Nah. Coolness++ ;)

Daz just sits in front of his servers all day wearing his tommy hilfiger summer jacket and letting the ladies admire him from a distance....ladies love the server.

Haha. Indeed.
I'm bring Hilfiger back.. seriously..
Hilfiger + servers + networking == not sure, but it's awesome.

not sure why i've not come across this sca before, is thisd something dell use in their terminology/literature as i've never heard it from HP

It's very common.. HP do sell some SCA stuff.

dk

911 GTS Cab
so i was right, its just a hot plug scsi or equivalent drive.

i needed another acronym in my life too, i hadnt learnt a new one yet today.

dk

911 GTS Cab
acronyms are starting to get a bit silly these days, its getting to the stage now that an acronym can have 3 different meanings and not only do you have to say the acronym but also have to say the words to clarify totally negating the need to use acronyms in the first place!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
daz said:
Haha. Indeed.
I'm bring Hilfiger back.. seriously..
Hilfiger + servers + networking == not sure, but it's awesome.

Huh. I reckon you should get a t-shirt made up.

"My other server's a HP".

You know, like "My other car is a ferrari".

Sad thing is, you could probably sell them to hp geeks. ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Well the raid rebuilt just fine.. :)

Speaking of geek.. hows this ?

One of my VM needed its primary disk expanded as it was running out of space, now the VM Server is linux (obviously) with a Win2k3 guest OS.

I did the drive expansion but in order to get stupid windows to recognise the bigger drive I had to

ssh into the linux box and start a vnc session.. through that vnc session on the linux box I had to boot the virtual windows 2k3 system but telling it to boot from a virtually mounted ubuntu live ISO so I could run gparted to expand the virtual NTFS drive on the virtual 2k3 install !

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

One of my VM needed its primary disk expanded as it was running out of space, now the VM Server is linux (obviously) with a Win2k3 guest OS.

I did the drive expansion but in order to get stupid windows to recognise the bigger drive I had to

ssh into the linux box and start a vnc session.. through that vnc session on the linux box I had to boot the virtual windows 2k3 system but telling it to boot from a virtually mounted ubuntu live ISO so I could run gparted to expand the virtual NTFS drive on the virtual 2k3 install !

huh. spooky. I did exactly the same thing yesterday on the mail server VM! Except that is Linux host/Linux Guest.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Well the raid rebuilt just fine.. :)

funnily enough i too was doing this silly comman line stuff in vmware today, need to open firewall ports for my hp management agents to run so had to ssh into the server and register a few ports to be open and restart a few services, GUI FTW!

couldn't you just diskpart the windows client once you had increased the virtual disk? not tried it myself though, did you add an extent?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Thought you could grow partitions within windows using diskpart? Or run Windows Server 2008, but hey...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I don't think you can do it in windows..

It was easiest to get linux to fix the downfalls of windows.. it was only running a sametime (domino messaging) system anyway which we were upgrading to version 8. Version 8 also happens to have a shiny new lotus notes client for Linux :)