ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serv, ABS, TC lights on

BG Clio 182
Hi.

I've recently just removed my front and rear seat belts, left the pretensioners in though.

I don't have any seatbelt or airbag lights.

I have factory fitted recaro seats so don't have an airbag light despite having a spare connector under the seat. This has never changed.

I'm confident I haven't touched anything and fail to see why the lights have come on.

I fitted everything and left the car for a couple of days.

I then went to start it and noticed the lights.

I've ordered a brake pedal switch in the off chance it's this but I aren't sure as it seems a massive coincidence!

Any help would be great, it's really annoying!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

BG Clio 182
Brake peddle feel funny at low speeds?
Erm no I don't think so mate? The car has brembo 4 pots which I recently bled but it's nothing to do with that. It was a month or more ago and the brakes feel brilliant.

Checked the fluid too and it's still nice and full.

Cheers though!

BG Clio 182
Could be the brake switch, abs fuse, abs sensor, abs ring, abs pump, front to rear abs line...
Do you think it's unrelated to the stuff I've done on the car?

I cant rmemeber my first post but I've literally but harnesses in etc and took seatbelts out.

Coincidence?

Should I be looking more along these lines then? Would that throw all 3 lights?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Abs can be felt through the brake pedal usually, so might be a sensor.

BG Clio 182
Abs can be felt through the brake pedal usually, so might be a sensor.
So you think it's unrelated to all the faffing with seatbelts harnesses etc etc?

I guess it'll need diagnosing then. Car still okay to drive?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Disconnect the battery for a bit then reattach and start the car. See if the lights come on instantly or not or only when you move the car.
Should be fine to drive the car with those lights though although I presume cc won't work if it's a abs sensor that's gone down.

BG Clio 182
Disconnect the battery for a bit then reattach and start the car. See if the lights come on instantly or not or only when you move the car.
Should be fine to drive the car with those lights though although I presume cc won't work if it's a abs sensor that's gone down.
Good idea I shall do that mate! Will I need a new radio code if I do that?

First thing check the free stuff like the ABS fuse, then the rings for cracks and corrosion, then the ABS sensors are clean and gapped correctly, reset the brake switch etc...

Could be coincidental mate yeah, I've had an abs pump give up just sat on the drive, the things you've done wouldn't affect the abs system but the airbag system.

Forgot to add if it's an abs ring they don't tend to bring up a warning light but instead give pedal fart at very low speeds when braking, if a sensor or anything to do with the abs electrics then the lights you have mentioned won't go out with the ignition turned to position 1.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yeah you'll need your radio code. I'm still going with a badly rusted / split ABS ring . Mine was split , as soon as i set off driving the brake peddle would judder , then the ABS , serv and TC light would come on and the peddle judder would go away .

BG Clio 182
Forgot to add if it's an abs ring they don't tend to bring up a warning light but instead give pedal fart at very low speeds when braking, if a sensor or anything to do with the abs electrics then the light you have mentioned won't go out with the ignition turned to position 1.
Could be that then. At position 1, any position the lights are always constantly there

Could be that then. At position 1, any position the lights are always constantly there

More than likely a sensor then, save yourself the messing and get the car hooked up to CLIP as this will tell you exactly where the issues is within the abs system.

BG Clio 182
More than likely a sensor then, save yourself the messing and get the car hooked up to CLIP as this will tell you exactly where the issues is within the abs system.
Just unhooked battery and it's still there. Swapped airbag and abs fuse and it's still doing it. Could brake pedal switch be the issue just randomly failing like that?

Just unhooked battery and it's still there. Swapped airbag and abs fuse and it's still doing it. Could brake pedal switch be the issue just randomly failing like that?

Anything is possible regarding the electrics on these cars, lol. Replace the brake switch if you've already ordered it, then take it from there. Just to let you know your car has now 50/50 brake bias and in an emergency stop your rear wheels will lock up first which in turn with try and bring the rear of the car around, so be careful.

BG Clio 182
Anything is possible regarding the electrics on these cars, lol. Replace the brake switch if you've already ordered it, then take it from there. Just to let you know your car has now 50/50 brake bias and in an emergency stop your rear wheels will lock up first which in turn with try and bring the rear of the car around, so be careful.
Haha that's nice and scary lol.

So is clip the only thing that's going to be able to sort it? Any other diagnostics won't do it?

Hopefully clip can diagnose. Will but brake switch in and hope for the best haha

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine felt fine when I had similar lights from my ABS rings being knackered. I never had to brake that hard though.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Where can you find the traction control sensors?

The ABS won't normally deactivate to 50/50 bias with a broken/corroded abs ring, and the lights would go out with the ignition turned on. It's only when you're on the move and the sensor(s) can't pick up the sine waves of the faulty abs ring that the lights would come one.

I never got any lights with a broken abs ring, just the feeling of the abs kicking in (pedal fart) at very low speeds.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hijack, but if you have ABS light and SERV light on from ignition and starting up and occasionally get light rumbling from the brake pedal when braking is that likely to be ABS rings?
Been like it for a couple of weeks. Sometimes been braking with foot still and then will suddenly have to break harder to maintain braking?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack, but if you have ABS light and SERV light on from ignition and starting up and occasionally get light rumbling from the brake pedal when braking is that likely to be ABS rings?
Been like it for a couple of weeks. Sometimes been braking with foot still and then will suddenly have to break harder to maintain braking?
Thank you

Yes mate.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
ABS rings? It's a very strange feeling when breaking and you kinda think for a minute that you've lost your brakes [emoji28][emoji28]Also what is Clip?

ABS rings? It's a very strange feeling when breaking and you kinda think for a minute that you've lost your brakes [emoji28][emoji28]Also what is Clip?

Yes it will likely be a front abs ring, is yours a 182 with cup suspension? CLIP is Renaults diagnostic tool. You shouldn't need this for a broken ring. Just jack the front of the car up (safely) and take both front wheels off and pop your head under behind the brake discs and you'll see the toothed ring, spin the disc and it should become apparent which is knackered.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it will likely be a front abs ring, is yours a 182 with cup suspension? CLIP is Renaults diagnostic tool. You shouldn't need this for a broken ring. Just jack the front of the car up (safely) and take both front wheels off and pop your head under behind thee brake discs and you'll see the toothed ring, spin the disc and it should become apparent which is knackered.

I wish, its just a 1.2 :-( Ahh never heard of CLIP until this week!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The ABS won't normally deactivate to 50/50 bias with a broken/corroded abs ring, and the lights would go out with the ignition turned on. It's only when you're on the move and the sensor(s) can't pick up the sine waves of the faulty abs ring that the lights would come one.

I never got any lights with a broken abs ring, just the feeling of the abs kicking in (pedal fart) at very low speeds.
I had the wrong rings fitted which meant the light was always on

BG Clio 182
Mine has the standard narrow rings on now, I just had to centre them under the sensor, worked fine... for now!
Just to elaborate, my cruise control also isn't working, only just checked now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If you took it to a decent garage regardless of having CLIP or not, they'd be able to diagnose whether it was an abs sensor down or not. You could measure resistance yourself whilst rotating the wheels from the ABS sensor if you wanted. If ones abnormal then that's your answer.

BG Clio 182
If you took it to a decent garage regardless of having CLIP or not, they'd be able to diagnose whether it was an abs sensor down or not. You could measure resistance yourself whilst rotating the wheels from the ABS sensor if you wanted. If ones abnormal then that's your answer.
That's my second port of call mate haha! Cheers man.