ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Series of problems! HELP ME PLEASE

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Some are deffiantly problems but i think im just getting anxious about the rest!
Its a 53 172 cup 50k miles with an induction kit...

1st problem - I get a knocking noise when i floor it in 1st but not in any other gear? have replaced the twisted mount but still doing it!

2nd Problem - Its lumpy when ticking over and its pretty loud and tappety! Oil is fine and recently been serviced but exhaust is blowing a lil..?

3rd problem - Its a real mission to keep in a straight line, not just when im giving it the beans but most of the time its just wants to pull everywhere wildly! Tracking all good and tyres are fine? Maybe just the stiff suspension on sheety british roads?

4th problem lol - The engine managment light and limp home keep coming on.. have changed throttle body and pedal but still comes on now and then allthough its not as often now.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated, will send a choccy hobnob to each succesfull reply! lol

Cheers

www.renparts.co.uk
knocking in 1st is probably your top engine mount, you can adjust it do a search on the forum, but its common on all 172's/182's.

172's do have a lumpy idle but not particularly tappety other than when completely cold, wouldn't worry about that too much they aren't terribly refined, unless it sounds like a diesel in which case it might be the cam dephaser. Also check the gasket around the upper plenum, is the exhaust blowing or are you not sure?

With regards to pulling all over they do it a little but have your rack check, quite a few problems with play in the rack due to an inner joint located behind the rack gaitor, check your ball joints and tire pressures.

As for the limp mode, get it scanned, could be a number of things having the same problem with one i sold to a customer that we are trying to resolve, doesn't store a fault but the EML comes on occasionally.

Welcome to Renault Ownership btw ;) you can owe me a hobnob...

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
It tends to be very "whiny" in the gears.. say im sitting at 3k in 5th on the motorway it feels like it needs another gear and i also get alot of gearstick shake.. im guessing this is sue to the twisted mount as i put poly bushes in it?.

Ive taken it to my local renault guys a few times and they say to bring it back when its on limp mode... and it only comes on when its like 10pm which is just sods law really!

Thanks for the reply, would you like the biccy pre-dunked in tea or coffee? lol

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Well it doesnt sound like a pug 205 diesel rattler lol just a lil rough, going to change oil this weeekend for some decent mobil 1 stuff.

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Tried the engine mount trick last night ( undo top mount and pull back engine ... ) But its made no difference!

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Ive recently put the twisted mount on so that cannot be a problem, Would i get a gearstick vibration from any otehr mount?
I think maybe the top mount maybe dead, how much play should it have? This would maybe explain the banging noise when i floor it in 1st??

www.renparts.co.uk
yeh check the mount under the battery and the front one where it bolts to the subframe, sometimes the nut falls off the bottom (its concealed inside the subframe)