ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling up for a Trophy??!!!

182 Cup Racing Blue
Thinking of selling the 182 cup….for around the normal 8ish mark and buying a mint Trophy for around £11,500 mark……should I go for it or try and get a new 197 Cup for a similar price……just thinking spending another £3,000 on the same sort of car other than the seats and suspension could be a waste of money! I'm also thinking that the Trophy will hold its value in the long run! I drove one yesterday……suspension and handling is very different!! Great!! Views on this please people in the know!!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Can get a good trophy for £10kish, as good as one is i'd rather have the warranty on the 197

182 Cup Racing Blue
2005 reg, 10,000 miles......£11,500...............I'm looking at one and driven it......its just a lot of money! and I know the 182 is a better car than the 197...performance wise!

either, get coils and new seats if it bothers you that much.. or go for a 197, 225.

the 197 is a better car than the 182/172 imo

ph quick
Silly as in its a fair bit of extra moular for a car that doesnt have climate con trol, yes you get nice seats and sus, but you could change them and for less cahs and have the same as a trophy.... Or you could buy a high quality motor

PH1 Oddy, M140i
dont do it mate...just not worth it whick ever way you look at it. If you love the clio range than go for the 197 cup other wise do what Justin said and spend some money on your clio and turn it into what you want...I did and I love it! I came close to getting the Trophy once!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I drove one yesterday……suspension and handling is very different!! Great!!

At last, someone tests one & they are quite different to any other 172/182.

If you want comfort get 182FF, but if you want feedback from the road get a Trophy.

They are for driving, not show;)

Also all the reviews are about the 'Trophy', not a 172/182 with this & that added here & there.

Modding a car does not add value.

Last edited:
  182trophy & Williams
can't comment on the 197 cup, just had a blast in a 197,yet to blag a testdrive at the local stealers in a cup. but i have test driven a 182 cup and as you now know there is quite a difference. I've got a feeling the 197 cup is going to be quite similar to the trophy driving wise except for the fact the the cup will be heavier and bigger, thus loosing a bit of its nimbleness and rawness. what i love about driving the trophy is that i know exactly what those front wheels are doing, its raw a exciting all in the same heartbeat.Drive one down your favourite b road and you'll know what i mean. my advice would be test drive a 197 cup, then test drive a trophy again and see what suits you best. just my two cents tho.

Lotus Elise 111R
Not in a million years. It is good, but you would kick yourself spending the extra 3k, for ALMOST exactly the same car. 197 maybe, or save a bit more and go for 225/230...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
£10.5k is a bit pricey for a Trophy as well. I looked at a fully mint one with 23k on that was up for just over £9k, at a trader, still under Renault Warranty IIRC.

Dan

Megane 230 R26
Silly as in its a fair bit of extra moular for a car that doesnt have climate con trol, yes you get nice seats and sus, but you could change them and for less cahs and have the same as a trophy.... Or you could buy a high quality motor

It may not have climate control but it does still have aircon. And clearly you have no idea what the seats and suspension would set you back if you decided to buy them!

Megane 230 R26
I don't think you'd regret buying a Trophy, those who immediately dismiss the idea have probably never driven one, I don't think any of the 197s will better it tbqh...

Edit: (On the way it drives) - obviously a 197 is more spacious and doubtless more comfortable, but it's basically far too big and heavy to be enjoyed in the same way as the Trophy.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
your old school cool though ;)

I do like the Trophy mind, and it was a toss up between my 182 and a Trophy that were both local. I ended up with the 182 as i loved the H&R's on my cup (adjustable ride heigh too), already had the trophy seats, and wasn't sure on the trophy colour tbh.

182 Cup Racing Blue
Thanks for all your comments you have left.......I'm still very undecided.....I just love checking the Top Gear track times the stig does and it always puts a smile on my face to see the 182 cup doing it in 1.33......Honda Civic Type R 1.36! love the 182....but is it enough to spend £3,000 more on the Trophy model.....it was such a joy to drive......made me want one more!! only 500 of them....yet to drive a car that puts as bigger smile on my face.....elise...atom.....maybe one day!

I don't think you'd regret buying a Trophy, those who immediately dismiss the idea have probably never driven one, I don't think any of the 197s will better it tbqh...

Edit: (On the way it drives) - obviously a 197 is more spacious and doubtless more comfortable, but it's basically far too big and heavy to be enjoyed in the same way as the Trophy.

Drive a R27 - you'll change your mind.