ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling the car to someone abroad

172cup
Hi all, looking at selling the Clio through ph and ive had some interest from someone in France. He appears genuine but again im playing it with caution.
he emailed me asking a few basic questions and wants to turn up soon with 5k cash to collect the car
Never dealt with this sort of situation and I've go a few questions going through my head, how the whole new registration process would work, what happens to my registration number? do I need to warn the DVLA? what would the process be?

thanks!

Clio 172
Found this for you...

You need to fill the export part of the V5c and send it to DVLA, fill the V5c as normal sale for new owner, he will need it like said earlier.

Car can be SORN'd or no tax because it is exported from UK, new owner cant tax it, because he's not resident and aint going to stay UK, you can keep the TAX DISK and refund the money.
http://www.direct.go...icle/DG_4022582

New owner will need bill of sale to be able to import it.
New owner will also need insurance (call'd Green Card) from country of origin (in this case from France), UK insurance works also, but we all know how easy and fun that is. So please let him have all information of the car before (VIN etc), so he can aply it forehand. Just an advise, tell him to get all the coverage he can get for the trip, anything happening he will be glad he did so.

One small advise for you, when you fill bill of sale, add time next to the date, so if he drives on speed camera, you dont end up paying.

In addition either ask for direct bank transfer or if its a cash sale ask him if he is ok to go to the bank with you and pay the money in. The bank can check the notes are genuine.

Never accept any other form of payment and never accept Euro's!!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
As said get him to pay it in at the bank.

Shame you're selling the 182, always looks tidy. What car are you getting next?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Either he pays the money into your account before hand or they go with you to the bank and pay it in. No dodgy notes.

I sold my Frp to a guy from Austria a month or so ago. He paid me 6k before he even seen the guy. Was easy.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
VX220 next?! Saw your advert on vx220.org

I'm doing the same, keep us posted!

172cup
As said get him to pay it in at the bank.

Shame you're selling the 182, always looks tidy. What car are you getting next?

I will mate, I'll drag him to the bank an deposit the money straight away

thats what stopped me to go totally mental with the mods, way too tidy and low mileage to be molested!
I want to get something mainly for track fun, not a low mileage one or with a spotless bodywork , I was thinking about an elise S1 but I have to say im so tempted to get a 172 cup, always been my dream!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I will mate, I'll drag him to the bank an deposit the money straight away

thats what stopped me to go totally mental with the mods, way too tidy and low mileage to be molested!
I want to get something mainly for track fun, not a low mileage one or with a spotless bodywork , I was thinking about an elise S1 but I have to say im so tempted to get a 172 cup, always been my dream!

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!

172cup
Either he pays the money into your account before hand or they go with you to the bank and pay it in. No dodgy notes.

I sold my Frp to a guy from Austria a month or so ago. He paid me 6k before he even seen the guy. Was easy.

perfect, I'll have a word with the guy tomorrow, cheers

172cup
I see, i guess a Silver cup without aircon would be nice :)
anyway I need to sell mine first and decide what to get next, i dont wanna rush it!

172cup
quick update,
looks like hes gonna fire a bank transfer tomorrow and come over next Saturday to collect, actually he asked if i could meet up at St pancras and hand the car over.
he asked for the usual info too, reg num vin year/month issue passport scan etc

Does that sound fake in any way to you? I can't get my head around it, why would you get a left hand drive Clio?
My car s a minter but he s basically buying it from the pics and description without inspection, should I be suspicious?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I don't see why you have to bother sorting anything really.... guy from Poland bought my Subaru. Turned up with £6,300 in cash, we went to bank and paid it all in. He drove off in car, jobs a goodun! However he chose to get it there wasn't my problem.

172 Cup
I've known two who have sold their cars for export. My stepdad sold his ph1 172 to a Frenchy for cash over eBay. All went very smoothly. Another lad in the village sold his V6 to a chap living near the nurburgring, picked him up from the airport, handed over the cash and off they went.

Just explain your concerns to him. If he really wants your car he should bend a little in your direction.

172cup
True, It's going off smoothly so far

I just have to wait 3-5 days for the transferred money to show up into my account and he's coming over next Sat to collect, perfect!

172cup
Id have imagined it to be more expensive in France though
When he asked to drop the price I just said NO and he went.... OK I'm taking it

A RHD car makes you cool whenever you drive it :)

350z, Subaru Legacy
Rapid car price depreciation seems to be a uniquely British thing. Cars hold their value a lot better on the continent for example.

I sold my first Clio to a guy from France, he paid in cash which I checked with a money pen. It was all fine, nice guy too. Followed it on the French Clio forum and unfortunately that particular car is now dead - fired a piston into the gearbox iirc!!

But at the end of the day, he got a bargain as he would have paid around £10k for a similar example in France, also he owned a UK scooby so was well used to driving RHD.