ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seeing 1990's cars on the roads nowadays....

I don't really like much 'new' - by which I mean anything on the new (current) plate format... lol

Everything seems to be loaded with so much technology that can go wrong (and fail an MOT for it) - give me something 'analogue' and the ability to kill myself easily if I f**k it up, rather than a cocooned box with all the bells and whistles that makes so many utterly inept drivers feel invincible and drive like utter bellends!

No reason not to run older cars IMO - me and the missus are doing about 35k a year between us in cars at least 22 years old!

RS Clio 182
The thing i hate about modern cars is they actually tell you which gear to shift up or down to on the dashboard display....whats the point of that?! My gfs DS3 told you to go up to 3rd when you were on 2000 rpm ?

I hate all these modern aids....pedestrian sensors....wtf?!

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
older hatchbacks do look comically small in car parks nowadays ?
WP_20170309_17_34_09_Pro.jpg

PH2 172
God that thing is awful...however it is super cool. I like these a lot, and the Maestro too.

Sat lower on KW shocks/springs and the waste gate adjusted to 1 bar with an 11 mm spanner, these were quick cars.

Shame they have all rusted away.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I love the car l had two of those back in the 1990’s
But l think the stripes and stickers on that one are appalling!
The decals were a dealer option under 'Renault Boutique' admittedly all down to personal choice and not mine either. There's a story behind the car to which my friend won't remove them, and to be fair it would cause too much damage trying to remove 30 year old decals.

The story and the originality of the car is part of the charm and value, its probably worth over 20K.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I saw one of these on my way to work a few months back.

View attachment 1372102

It needed some TLC but still looked uber cool.

My want for one of these back in the 90’s was huge
I've seen a couple of these this year at local car shows and for me they were up there as one of the coolest cars there. I remember not too long ago you could get a higher mileage one for a little over £25k, now they have jumped massively in value.

older hatchbacks do look comically small in car parks nowadays ?
View attachment 1372013

Stop it!!

I miss mine :(

View attachment 1372102

I walked past a house that had two of these outside the other day, and something else nice in the garage that I can't remember now!

I was slightly jealous lol

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've seen a couple of these this year at local car shows and for me they were up there as one of the coolest cars there. I remember not too long ago you could get a higher mileage one for a little over £25k, now they have jumped massively in value.

If had a lottery win I’d definitely buy one.

I’m sure that at the time they were the fastest road going saloon car ever produced?

I know wikipedia is not a reliable, peer-reviewed reference source, but it says (with my emphasis in bold):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Carlton

The Lotus Carlton produced 377 bhp (281 kW; 382 PS) and 419 lb⋅ft (568 N⋅m) (of which 350 lb⋅ft (470 N⋅m) was available from 2000 rpm.)[5] The car is capable of 0–60 mph in 5.2 seconds and achieve 0–100-0 mph in less than 17 seconds. Tall gearing allows it to achieve approximately 55 mph (89 km/h) in first gear. The Lotus Carlton/Omega held the title of the second fastest four-door saloon car for some years, after Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo.

Nice :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Lad I knew had one of these in black and it was bloody lovely at the time. Looks pretty s**t now ?

BA6849EA-07A5-4C3D-8E01-7F8D093155EB.jpeg

Edit. Might be from the 80’s?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
In Cheltenham there are loads of SL's. Late eighties and 90's ones. Perfect summer car.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1372102

My old man has one, and has had it for about a decade now. Hopefully I'll inherit one day far away. It STILL feels fast though, even as 380BHP today might not seem all that much. Driving it isn't too bad either, surprisingly supple!

13926330930_c8dda237ee_c.jpg
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-27
by Adam Lister, on Flickr

14089788296_13124d990b_c.jpg
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-165

14695769651_ea4a676cba_c.jpg
phss-vauxhall-200714-154

I'm definitely on-board with the lack of love for modern cars. They're all a bit samey these days, and zero character. But then, I'm sure every single generation says the same thing!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Generation thing.

Saw a white five nova, h plate I think.

Looked tiny. Cool as Ice though

SG9 Forester STi
Older cars ftw. As I’m sure future generations will say about their cars.. everything looks the same. The further back you go the more attention to detail there was as far as external styling.

My brother in law has a 5GTT and I love that thing!

I may need an emergency “almost shed” next week to get me to France and I’m genuinely considering an old Volvo, love them! I remember going to school and there was an 850R buried in hedge in someone’s garden and I used to want to knock on their door and ask if I could buy it.

SG9 Forester STi
Those things used to do 3 wheeled doughnuts like you wouldn't believe !

It was like a fairground waltzer

They’re cool aren’t they! As with most unusual 90’s cars now, they’re on the up. When I was looking last month they were up around 10k.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
My old man has one, and has had it for about a decade now. Hopefully I'll inherit one day far away. It STILL feels fast though, even as 380BHP today might not seem all that much. Driving it isn't too bad either, surprisingly supple!

View attachment 1372447
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-27 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

View attachment 1372448
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-165 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

View attachment 1372449
phss-vauxhall-200714-154 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

I'm definitely on-board with the lack of love for modern cars. They're all a bit samey these days, and zero character. But then, I'm sure every single generation says the same thing!

My dad has a 1.2 Clio Rip Curl.....I’m not jealous of you at all.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

View attachment 1372447
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-27 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

View attachment 1372448
goodwood-supercar-sunday-2014-165 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

View attachment 1372449
phss-vauxhall-200714-154 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

Epic. Truly epic!!

2003 Clio 172
Not quite 90s, but I saw an F reg Fiesta on the M4 yesterday on the way home from work, and it looked tiny. Made my Clio look big in comparison, which is crazy because when I park my Clio next to most newer hatches it looks small...