ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Second hand Android phone - recommendations?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
My phone got nicked again on Friday and the insurance I’m with might not pay out (going on the reviews I’m reading online).

Thinking of just sacking off contracts when it expires in 6 months and getting a Giff Gaff sim – but til then I’m gonna keep using the Orange sim that I have to pay for til April.

So, anyone recommend a phone I can buy sub £150 or even sub £100?

Just want a fairly decent camera and a decent speed of browser/apps etc. I don’t do iPhones by the way.

Thinking an old Xperia or Samsung?

Ta

Slightly out of budget I imagine, but I've got an S4 I plan to put the advert up tonight (just got a OnePlus One), looking higher than 150 though. Bought new last year handset only, so it's unlocked.

If not, as Aaron says a Nexus 4 would do nicely tbh.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not a fan of motorola if I'm honest. I've always had Sony Xperia or HTC. The Nexus looks good though, my android geek manager used to rave about them. Love the Galaxy S4 but they really hold their price.

Using an Alcatel Touchpop at the mo and it's PAINFUL

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I might be pricing myself out aswell, I really want something that's HD/1080.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Which one? Aren't they quite big though and camera a bit pants? That Xperia Z1 was massive think that's why it got nicked hanging out my back pocket

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Which one? Aren't they quite big though and camera a bit pants? That Xperia Z1 was massive think that's why it got nicked hanging out my back pocket

I've had my Nexus 4 for ages - camera is fine. But maybe I'm a photographical wiz :cool:

13966134687_c4b73390a3_c.jpg
Bearmobile by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

TBH I'm only going to stick with Nexi (?) for the next few years. Everything else seems to come with bloatware on it :(

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Moto G for under £100, if you need extra storage, you have an issue as there is no SD Card slot...nor is the battery removable. I have an S3 personal and a Moto G for work...The screen is smaller on the Moto...but if you buy an official Moto G case, they have a magnet in there which will lock the phone when closed.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The Moto allows for a micro SD doesn't it? Sure I just saw that at the shop.

Will check out that Nexus 4 then, my boss used to rave about them.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The Moto allows for a micro SD doesn't it? Sure I just saw that at the shop.

Will check out that Nexus 4 then, my boss used to rave about them.

The Moto G doesn't...the newer version might. Although mine is about 3 months old and didn't/doesn't have one.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah it supports up to 32GB apparently now and has HD screen.

Only bummer is the camera is 5mp. What's it like though mate?

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
I got just bought a Doogee Voyager 2 off eBay for £62.99 BNIB and its awesome for the price. You won't get a better phone for the money. 5 inch screen, lastest android KitKat and dual sim card. If you can look past the stupid non-premium brand name then you should definitely get one if its a cheap price you're after. This has replaced my dead LG G2 which cost over 300 second hand and i can't fault it. best thing is, if I lose/smash it I won't care because its cheap enough to replace with another.

I got just bought a Doogee Voyager 2 off eBay for £62.99 BNIB and its awesome for the price. You won't get a better phone for the money. 5 inch screen, lastest android KitKat and dual sim card. If you can look past the stupid non-premium brand name then you should definitely get one if its a cheap price you're after. This has replaced my dead LG G2 which cost over 300 second hand and i can't fault it. best thing is, if I lose/smash it I won't care because its cheap enough to replace with another.

Only a 5MP camera, low res screen, + slow cpu!

Granted, it's cheap for the money, but the first 2 certainly don't meet his criteria!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Decent shout though, the lenovos and huaweis are good even though they aren't big names.

Swaying towards the Moto G 4g as I can get it tonight, it takes memory cards and is quick.

Nexus 4 only puts me off cos you can't expand the memory but the camera is better.

Samsung S3 ideally but more expensive and doesn't seem to be for sale in shops round here anywhere - just loads of random variations - mini, etc

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Oh didn't read the bit about decent camera, i have not tried mine yet so cant comment on it, but the CPU is far from slow. coming from a G2 with one of the fastest I would notice if it was.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Think I'm always gonna miss out on one of the features for that price.

hopefully i'll get an S3 but probably the Moto. camera isn't terrible but not great, hopefully I'll get my Xperia replaced but im not counting on it, can't hack this alcatel for any longer so £130 for a spare isn't terrible. insurance will be a week or two by the sounds of it anyway if it is successful.

Got my mum a HTC One M7 for £130 when her ONE X got 'stolen' (lost imo because bint) and it's great!

Edit: camera is great, screen is lovely, build quality is awesome and it's quick. Packed with features too

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It's ok ta. Prefer a new one - think I'm gonna go get one from Tesco tonight or Sainsburys as I should be a loyal employee.

(In which case I should've amended my thread title)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm Mega impatient, maybe should consider second hand too as my sim won't be here for a couple days anyway

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Thanks mate but managed to get an s3 for 90 now. Couldn't use this alcatel touch pop shite any longer!

That's cheap tho mate, great price

X2 Clio Valvers
Xperia z ftw. I bought one as a put me on till I get the iPhone 6 and love it tbh. Can pick them up for circa 100 nowadays too. I'll be selling mine shortly.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Hopefully will get a z1 off the insurance in a week or so. Great camera