ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seat Airbag Wiring Question

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Hi,

I know this gets asked every twenty minutes or so on here, but I am still to find an answer that works for my car!

I am in Germany trying to register my 182 cup here and thanks to the previous owners hack job on the airbag wires under the seats, the airbag / serv light i am finding it near impossible to turn out.

I have the original seats back in the car and these bare wires which I know I should either solder together, or use 2 (I think) 3.3 Ohm resistors to connect the seat and under seat wires on each side.

My question is... Which wires do I connect as they seem to all look the same (Orange and Brown).

Seat wires 1.jpegSeat Wires 2.jpegWires in Car.jpeg

The first two pictures show the connectors under the seat (I've cut the wires on the middle one where the grey box should be, but I can attach this again).

The third picture shows the mess of cables under the passenger seat. If any body can determine which one connect to which that would be fantastic...

Thanks.

Hopefully this makes sense!

On each side, originally you should've had two connectors, one black and one grey on each side.

This is the driver side. On the grey plug you can see the wires are for the pre-tensioner, the warning beep, and the seat position sensor.
So you need to plug this grey connector into the grey connector coming from your car.
DSC02187.jpg

On the passenger side:
You can see the grey connector again this time only has two wires (just for the pre-tensioner) So you'll need to wire up the blue/black wires coming from the seat, to the orange/pink wires you can see they're connected to in my pic.
DSC02188.jpg

On the passenger side the black connector has also obviously been lopped off, so the easiest thing would be to put a 3.3 ohm resistor between the cream/red wires:
The driver side, if the connector on the seat is still there, just connect the two black ones together. Failing that use another resistor and put it between the similar coloured wires, (on the connector coming from the car)
IMG_0210.gif

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Hi James,

Thanks for that! I think I understand what you mean! my main issue is that the connectors on the seat are all fine, but the cables coming from the car are all loose! (I'm sorry if i didn't explain myself very well!)

I think the passenger side looks pretty clear now as I can see exactly which cables go to which (There are four coming from the car two for both the grey and black seat connector with the black/grey not necessary (from what I've seen before). The passenger side looks a little more complex though, so I may have to look at the pins on the connector and see in theory which cable connects to the corresponding bare cable on the car! I think I'm making sense!

Thanks again for your help, The pictures have definitely cleared up a few questions, along with the comments.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll try and get a picture of what my drivers side looks like.
And another of my passenger side too whilst I'm at it for you.

I do have Recaro's though, so on both sides the grey connectors are joined, and the black connectors coming from the car have a resistor in each.

Golf GTD Mk7
Blacks are earth on the airbag circuit. So just connect the other two to the resistor. On the pretensioners, I thought there was only two wires

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
James your a legend! i was just about to post pictures of my car as I'm changing the seats over now!

Ha pleased I could help. Hopefully this'll help people in future.
Sorry about the confusing passenger seat one. I've cable tied it under my seat and didn't want to undo it all just for the photo!

Just a quick note: The pictures I've shown are if your using bucket seats with existing seatbelts, or sport seats in a nonsport/cup so still have the pretensioner plugged in.
If you are using buckets with harnesses. You will need an extra resistor each side, in the grey plug coming from the car.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 182 Cup
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I needed!! That's first comprehensive answer about the airbag wiring that I have seen on here (I think even I can't mess this one up now!!)

Clio 172
Good morning,
It's my first post so go easy on me!! I'm about to fit some recaro's to the clio but want to be 100% sure on these resistors before I go frying modules or getting KO'd by the bags!! I believe it's simply a 3.3 ohm resistor but I've tried to see the colors of the bands in James's pictures and I can't for the life of me make them relate to what I thought I'd be seeing I.e an orange band represents 3 so existed to see 2 of them??? I guess it may be covered on the guide you've just created but being a newbie I havn't yet got full access!!
Any help greatly appreciated, a close up and full colour description would be greatly appreciated!! Lol
many thanks guys n gals

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
If you go into maplins, ask for the resistor m3r3 it's the one you need. They are 20p each or 10 for £1 I'll try upload a photo if I can find some!

Clio 172
Thanks for that, I got a pair of 3.3's although a different one to the one you have shown, all was going well till I broke the airbag plug, snapped the micro switch on the runner and then realised the runners are massively offset so had no chance of my seat/mounts fitting!! I now plan to use two lengths of inch box run diagonally across the runners then mount my seat to the bars, how has anyone else got round this issue??
many thanks

hi there, ive just fitted ph1 172 seats in my ph2 dci. i diddnt realize at the time of purchase they are different airbag connectors! can the pretensioners be swapped from 1 seat to the other in order for the airbags etc to work? if so what are the dangers of it going bang in my face? :) cheers.

Pretensioners can be swapped yes. Very unlikely for it to go bang in your face if you have the battery disconnected.
Although pretensioner is only the grey connectors, so you may still have a problem with the black connectors.

2004 1.2 run-around!
Hi guys. Was just wondering if you had a sec could you cast your eyes over a photo of mine? (below). On the drivers side only, i need to bypass the side (in-seat) air bag and the seatbelt pretensioner, the image below shows what i've got under the drivers seat in my 1.2 16v dynamique (coming FROM the car)...

IMG_0339.jpg

So in the black plug there is just simple - pink, orange, black. And in the grey plug a pink/orange, pink, pink/black, orange.... and then the two stripey ones - one purpleish and one pinkish.

So on the reverse of these plugs which combinations do i have to stick the 3.3ohm resistors in to bypass airbag and pretensioner on this side? Also i have always wondered this - if there are wires that don't use resistors; what do you do with them... just leave them unconnected? or maybe reconnect them some how to the seat to complete the circuit? (the earths for example).

Sorry i do realise this has been gone through with various people on a number of occasions but i am unclear even after reading several threads, so apologies for my ignorance... i need to send my airbag module off for clearing, so really need to make sure i get this right so the lights will go off and stay off!!

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!

Tom.

2004 1.2 run-around!
...following on from above...

In order to bypass the seat air bag am i right in thinking i put a resistor in between the pink & orange wires in the black plug? ... then what about the black wire... do i reconnect it some how or just leave it loose?

Then could anyone elaborate on the many wires on the grey plug? i need to bypass the seatbelt pretensioner but also what do i then do with all the other wires?

cheers!!

Hopefully this should help:

On each side, to bypass airbag, you are correct. Resistor between the coloured wires on the black plug, ignore the black wire.
For pretensioner, you need a resistor in the grey connector as shown in the pic below. The other wires are for Seatbelt warning beeper and seat position sensor.

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02550.jpg

resistor.jpg

iceberg 172
hi sorry to hijack this thread cvery helpful although i have a orange wire coming from my seat aswell as the black one on its own does anyone know what i need to do with the orange one as the plug is cut off thanks

mk2 ph2, gsxr 600
Hopefully this should help:

On each side, to bypass airbag, you are correct. Resistor between the coloured wires on the black plug, ignore the black wire.
For pretensioner, you need a resistor in the grey connector as shown in the pic below. The other wires are for Seatbelt warning beeper and seat position sensor.

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02550.jpg

resistor.jpg

i remember you saying that the drivers side on the pretnesioner has a bleep warning so there woulkd be one for the car on the sports models only i got 1.6 and decided to upgrade all the seats when the side drivers airbag redeployed fun stuff! ecu's reset and in now surely because i believe my car doesnt have the bleep sensor then its irrelavent and treat it as what youve done for the passengers im guess if not tape up and black off like the earth wires?
i think ive pretty much got it other than that! very helpful! and appologies i do understand seen it all before!

mk2 ph2, gsxr 600
i remember you saying that the drivers side on the pretnesioner has a bleep warning so there woulkd be one for the car on the sports models only i got 1.6 and decided to upgrade all the seats when the side drivers airbag redeployed fun stuff! ecu's reset and in now surely because i believe my car doesnt have the bleep sensor then its irrelavent and treat it as what youve done for the passengers im guess if not tape up and black off like the earth wires?
i think ive pretty much got it other than that! very helpful! and appologies i do understand seen it all before!

to add to this, that just for the pretensioners isnt it (ie. the grey clip) on the drivers side the car side has the female and on my passenger side the male.{makes this a little confusing}
so in theory i dont need this box as on the passenger side i only have half of it, so i could cut and join the wires myself without the grey clip?
and when it come to the side air bags there an orange sheafed cable with a blue and a brown and a black on its own (live neutral earth im guessing) this is for both driver and passenger chair so i take it there for the side airbags?. but on the incoming from the car there seems to be a 2 separate ends, which i have no idea what they are for. ill try get some pictures there dont look like they attach to anything without cutting and joining. try get some pictures!

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Could someone help me with this please

im on the edge of breaking down here, still trying to sort the damn light out, been to maplins to buy 3.3ohm resistors so i know there the right type and replaced what was already there, ive tried clearing them on the fault reader and have lost all the faults execpt the seat position sensor but seem to have gained a code :/ i have no original interior and all the clip under the seats were cut leaving just wires so theres a chance ive wired it wrong

could someone please confirm i have wired everything in correctly?

E7065330-B1E3-4A09-8467-9B9DBE403BFB-4577-00000149C0CCB7ED_zps4eb9c65f.gif

Orange and brown drivers side
3420E116-9B8D-4885-BD91-DDB762044CDB-4577-00000149C55305F8_zpse42ac1c9.gif

Brown with dark stripe and light blue with dark stripe Drivers side
D74FB6E6-15A9-43A5-8B40-88102E7F867E-4577-00000149D2400D61_zps94a9d6f1.gif

Orange with stripe and brown drivers side
81ABB71A-B1DD-46F0-BAFB-141C467D38EE-4577-00000149CA45B4AD_zps50c6b047.gif

Onto the passenger

Orange with stipe and brown
AD02A0A8-FBCC-4A11-94F0-1DB3B1B30DEC-4577-00000149D87F8FFA_zps5d681d30.gif

Brown and yellow
27A6433A-16AD-47C6-9940-F26E5EB9341E-4577-00000149E1407A13_zpsb888cba7.gif

This is the new code ive gained no idea what it means
BCBB0198-5602-409E-BC8F-7FBD07BFF228-4577-00000149E73F3635_zps30786b4c.gif

I think ive joined them up correctly on the passenger side, put the wire the same gauge together?

Many thanks Dan

Clio 172
Hi

not sure if anyone will read this or be able to help.

I like loads of others have a similar problem to his.

My issue is one of the cables under the passenger seat has been cut.

I am am assuming it's the pretensioner cables they are blue and brown, but have been soldered onto a other cables which have been then been cut.

My question is, on the picture's on the second post on the thread, the first post by James28, the picture which shows the passenger side. From the grey connector on the seat side does this then go directly to the pretensioner or does it go to another little plug under the seat?

Thanks

Hi

not sure if anyone will read this or be able to help.

I like loads of others have a similar problem to his.

My issue is one of the cables under the passenger seat has been cut.

I am am assuming it's the pretensioner cables they are blue and brown, but have been soldered onto a other cables which have been then been cut.

My question is, on the picture's on the second post on the thread, the first post by James28, the picture which shows the passenger side. From the grey connector on the seat side does this then go directly to the pretensioner or does it go to another little plug under the seat?

Thanks

The loom from the car comes up from under the carpet, and splits. Two wires going into a grey connector, which is for the pretensioner.
The rest go to a black connector.

Renault clio
Does anyone still use this and can hp me with my serv/airbag wiring under the front 2 seats as I she had this for ages now and it's stating to anyone me been trying and looking up on the internet for donks but would like to tLk to someone who can talk me through it as it's driving me crazy!!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Pro tip, if any old links aren’t working, take the thread number from the old link (630252 in this case) and then stick it at the end of cliosport.net/threads/ it’ll work.