ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sealing water hose

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Hope you all had a good Christmas :up:.

When I changed my coolant today I also replaced the tatty Renault hose clips with a jubilees. Where the large hose connects to the thermostat I now have a leak and I haven't even run the engine yet 😢😂. It's like the hose has been deformed over the years by the old clip, and the new one won't shape the hose around the thermostat :rage:.

Any guesses whether this likely seal when the hose heats up and I can tighten the jubilee a bit more? Is it worth heating it with a hair dryer to try and reform the rubber? Or should I bung some silicon in there? It was gummed up with something before, but I thought that was just old, dried up coolant residue.

Ideally I don't want to lose all my fresh new coolant :confused:.

Looking forward to your advice, thanks :grinning:!

dan's cast offs.
probably just from the crap, take it off give it a clean, soak the end in some hot water for a bit and chuck it back on and see how it goes.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Will do, thanks.

So I'll have to drain some of the coolant, perhaps just to the level of the bleed nipple?

Hope you all had a good Christmas :up:.

When I changed my coolant today I also replaced the tatty Renault hose clips with a jubilees. Where the large hose connects to the thermostat I now have a leak and I haven't even run the engine yet 😢😂. It's like the hose has been deformed over the years by the old clip, and the new one won't shape the hose around the thermostat :rage:.

Any guesses whether this likely seal when the hose heats up and I can tighten the jubilee a bit more? Is it worth heating it with a hair dryer to try and reform the rubber? Or should I bung some silicon in there? It was gummed up with something before, but I thought that was just old, dried up coolant residue.

Ideally I don't want to lose all my fresh new coolant :confused:.

Looking forward to your advice, thanks :grinning:!
The standard ones are good because you cant over-tighten or under-tighten

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I originally changed the bottom radiator one for a jubilee because I just couldn't resit the original, it was so awkward. Then when I was trying to clean the face of the thermostat housing I was worried I would damage the hose, so thought it best to unclip it, and just refitted with a jubilee. Maybe a mistake in hindsight :triumph:.

dan's cast offs.
i always bin them and us normal jubilee clip. crap design and seen plenty of then rot through and pop a hose off.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I heated it in hot water as you suggested, reseated it and all is good. I did a good job of cleaning the crud off in the first place, so no more to do there. Thanks for your input :up:.

Only thing is, I've only managed to refill with about 6 litres of coolant, thought it should be 7 :neutral:?

I followed this procedure:

- remove bottom rad hose and drain coolant.
- remove t/stat and drain coolant.
- flush through the rad and the t/stat housing with a hose until both are running clear.
- put it all back together.
- remove the bleed screw/bolt from the side of the t/stat housing.
- slowly fill with new coolant until getting an uninterrupted flow from the aperture.
- replace bleed screw.
- continue filling until exp. tank is maxed.
- start the engine and run it at a fast idle (2.5k) for 4mins, topping up the tank as required.
- replace cap and run engine until fan cuts in (fast idle for 20 mins).
- top up as req'd once it's cooled down.

I've taken it for a good 30 min run, with heating on & off, aircon on & off. Coolant level is steady and at max when cool, and slightly above when hot.

Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks again :cool:.

dan's cast offs.
nah, as long as you get a good 5 litres in and it's on the max nothing to worry about. i fill them until comes out the bleed hole, then top up to maximum in the header and then burp it with top and bottom rad hose, generally drops to the min or near as, then fill back up.

run to temp and check next day when cold.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
My coolant looks well nice and clean, so presumably I've not left much of the old stuff in there :up:.

You've been a great help & reassuring, really appreciate it :cool:.