ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seagate HDDs - Good for nothing?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What is it with Seagate? I always remember when growing up and my old man bought us our 1st PC ( a Gateway 2000 ) and shortly after the HDD completed failed on it, it was ofcourse a Seagate.

Since that time I think I've had alteast one more fail in a desktop PC and heard of many other people with similar issues. In fairness I bought a portable HP drive which failed and when faced with the options for replacement found myself looking at Seagate again ( knowing this could be trouble ) low and behold 14 months after purchase Windows deems this Seagate portable as a USB brick and refuses to talk to it, thankfully it's got a 5 year warranty ( otherwise I wouldn't have bought it ) but FFS.

Moral of the story, never buy Seagate.

Fiesta ST
Used a lot of Seagate HDD's over the years, in a lot of servers and RAID arrays. I've not had that many failures on them to be honest.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Seagate are one of the better ones TBH

I mainly use Western Digital drives though, been faultless for me over the years

Evo 8 MR
Surprised to see this, I always go for Seagate as they are supposed to be one of the quietest and more reliable manufacturers.

I've never personally had any reason to doubt that.

I would never go to Seagate, after the Maxtor b****cks they are absolutely rubbish, all newer drives my family have had broke or have been repaired!
My brothers main hdd has had to go back for repairs 4 times its rediculous! We still have an IDE running flawlessly, goes to show how Maxtor fecked it all up!

Any sane person would not touch them with a barge pole.

Giulietta 940
Western Digital or Samsung tbh. Got a few Sammy F3s in my PC, great hard drives.

I've had a couple of Maxtor HDDs, all died on me :(

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Of all the hundreds and hundreds of disks I've ever come into contact with, Seagate have probably been the best for low failure rates

Maxtor's probably the worst, but that was mostly down to being in SFF PC's with no ventilation :p

Had this the other week with one of mines!

img2011061100286.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a Seagate fail on me before - but given the quantity I've had, it's not been too bad. I usually have those or Western Digi's in PCs I build.

Anything on Earth is better than Maxtor. I was shocked, horrified and scared to realise that our Mitel phone switches use Maxtor drives in them. I pushed for the 4hr response maintenance on them - we will need it!

D.

Not a 320d
Ive got an old 80 Gig seagate lying about in my old PC, now in use by my grandparents. Its now about 6 years old. Been faultless.

Western Digital ones have failed for me over the years but not many. Currently running a Raptor drive and thats been faultless.

Maxtor however............................

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Only had a few experiences with Seagate drives.
After one fiasco though, I will not be going back!
I was given a 2TB External "Expansion" drive for christmas. Went to use it and all it did was click.
Ok, not a problem we will take it back. Took it back into the shop and they tested it by plugging it into the mains... That constitutes as testing?. Bear in mind I told them it only did it when data was being written to the drive. Oh its fine, there is no clicking.
Morons.
Turns out it was the enclosure that is faulty, in pretty much all of them. Stripped it down and the hard drive is now used in my NAS.

WD or Samsung for me from now on!

Evo 5 RS
without even reading the thread. Short answer, yes they are good for nowt.

I've been in the industry a long time and they have (next to Hitachi deskstars and the former Maxtor, now Seagate) the worst failure rate

Western Digital have proved to be the most reliable in my experience

Never buy seagate for desktop PC's most drive failures I've seen have been them. As someone said though alot of servers use the high end ones without many failures. Always been a WD man myself.