ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scorpion exhaust and decat pipe problem

clio 182
I have just put my new decat pipe and SRN019 exhaust on and it sounds as if there is a blow somewhere when I go to out my foot down like coming from the middle ..... Is this just it needs running in or is something loose ? What am I missing any help ? Cheers

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do Scorpion exhausts have the olive joint rather than it being sleeved? If so, it could be from there.

If not, it could be the gasket at the front of the cat/decat.

clio 182
Yeh its not sleeved just normal ... Would a worn or broken gasket cause me this problem or what am really confused
Just like after 2 half revs it makes a louder noise then seems to settle into a better tone

OP if the SRN019 is the same as the RS192 then its an olive joint on the decat. The blow will be coming between the decat and cat-back, as above the decat is an olive joint and the cat-back slips onto this with a flared end, making it a right ball ache to seal as the clamp is quite narrow with not much to grab onto.

My advice is get a decent clamp like the one I used (below), then you'll need some Loctite 5990 (below) and this may sound odd but I used tinfoil to seal it.

The process:
  • Use a jack to prop up the cat-back to take the weight off
  • line up the cat-back and decat and slot together best you can
  • Smother the Loctite all around the join
  • Then quickly fold tin foil to a narrow strip say 3cm wide and 3-4 folds thick and wrap around the joint squeezing it tightly
  • Then use your clamp and tighten evenly going back and forth to each side tightening in small increments until nice and tight, not to over tighten!
  • Job done
I must have tried 6-7 times to seal the damn thing with 3 different clamps and loads of sealant all to no avail, the tinfoil method worked a treat first time and its done 2 full track days and road miles without a hint of blowing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-C...053607?hash=item3f6b6a13a7:g:oe4AAOSwAvJXCll1

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...-premium-silicone-copper-gasket-maker-sealant