ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scenic 2.0\ clio sport- engine question

2003 MK2
Hello all,
Been a reader of this forum for some time - i'ts time to take some action :)
I have a question regarding the differance of renault engines.
I own a 172 2002, recently had to change my engine due to some idiot machanic who forgot a screw in my intank..:dapprove:
Here in israel there aren't many Clio Sport as Uk - so finding an engine has been very difficult - i ended up with scenic 2.0 16v engine in my car that has 9.8 compression ratio.
the mechanic said it's the same engine F4R 7xx - and with the engine managment+the intank and the exaust system of the 172 can bring the compression up to the original 11.0 and that the 136HP can be 172HP!

Is that correct? or am i stuck with an engine that can't preform ??

Thanks!

Roy

Last edited:
  RS RIP
mine is a 172 mk2, 2003 type engine F4R 736 , with gearbox type JC5

maybe this is of some use...

There a load of f7R engine 730 and 736 are the common 172 ones.

The CLio RS is the only one with the high compression ratio and head casting there a few other unique bits to it. SO nope you need more than just uprated compression to get the power the VVT for a start if you rcar doens't have it plus the RS cams are more peeky plus the valves are different.

Static compression (the one used to measure the cars) of the engine cannot be changed just by adding intake etc you need to get different pistons or have the head skimmed. Plus since your cars not a 172 enigne regards the head etc you won't get the power you want.

IF you want you can turbo your car since you are starting with a lower CR than 172 engine you can run more boost before you run inot porblmes normla 172/182 engine are limited on the stock CR or 11-1 to about 210hp but with a 9.8 CR you can run upto say 260hp with stock CR.

172 cup'd extreme
172/ 182 F4R 730, 732, 736 higher compression ratio due to different pistons, different intake and exhaust manifolds, cam phase shifter and a few other bits.
engine management is different

2003 MK2
so i am basicly stuck with an engine that has low HP and if i'll press hard might explode....

roy

so i am basicly stuck with an engine that has low HP and if i'll press hard might explode....

roy

Nope won't explaode did you chnage the ecu for the one in the doner car? Otherwie your engine overfueling massivly.

You can turbo it though as I said for more power thna a normal 172/182 engine gets.

2003 MK2

roy

Nope won't explaode did you chnage the ecu for the one in the doner car? Otherwie your engine overfueling massivly.

You can turbo it though as I said for more power thna a normal 172/182 engine gets.
everything besides the engine block stays...
i'ts a differant fuel system..MPI vs. EFI?
roy

everything besides the engine block stays...
i'ts a differant fuel system..MPI vs. EFI?
roy

All of them are EFI in the F4R series

Block different on the 172/182 engine vs the normal ones I think although I'm not sure.

Lionel Richie
Hello all,
Been a reader of this forum for some time - i'ts time to take some action :)
I have a question regarding the differance of renault engines.
I own a 172 2002, recently had to change my engine due to some idiot machanic who forgot a screw in my intank..:dapprove:
Here in israel there aren't many Clio Sport as Uk - so finding an engine has been very difficult - i ended up with scenic 2.0 16v engine in my car that has 9.8 compression ratio.
the mechanic said it's the same engine F4R 7xx - and with the engine managment+the intank and the exaust system of the 172 can bring the compression up to the original 11.0 and that the 136HP can be 172HP!

Is that correct? or am i stuck with an engine that can't preform ??

Thanks!

Roy

he's talking out of his arse, if he's put an F4R engine in with a 9:1 comp ratio you'll be massivley down on power

stock is 11:1, an exhaust system makes 0 difference to comp ratio!!! he's talking rubbish!!! DEMAND the same engine number!!!

2003 MK2
first of all i would like to thank you all for replying,
Second, i didn't say that exaust can raise your CR...but:
1) with your intank system+engine managment you can raise the CR - it's all about fuel\air ratio that the ECU +intake is capable of.
2) with answer1 + good exaust system you CAN raise your HP, and thats a known fact.

my question was if i'll get 172 out of this engine or somewhere between 150+-
Ofcourse i will change the engine eventually:cool:...i'll make him pay for it to the last dime!

thanks again - keep me updated !
Roy

1) no. the CR is nothing to do with how much fuel the ecu puts in. The CR is all done with pistons, squish volume etc etc

2)yes, but your massivey down on power, and will have to put loads of money into it, just to get 172.

80MPG BEEZA
all that bodgery to get it upto a standard 172 make him put a proper 172 engine in and you can make that more powerful

1) with your intank system+engine managment you can raise the CR - it's all about fuel\air ratio that the ECU +intake is capable of.
2) with answer1 + good exaust system you CAN raise your HP, and thats a known fact.

Nop ecompression ratio is the amount of volume when the piston is at the bottom volume wise to how much there is hen its at the top there no was of fixing that with any amount of intakes or exhaust as I mentioned n my earlier post.

137 to 172hp won't happen with an exhaust the 172 engine has different cams and head work and VVT systems to get power the 137hp isn't desinged to make power like a 172 engine is.

what is all this b****cks being spoken?

If he broke your last engine, tell him you want the same engine code from the same year cliosport. Tell him you dont care if they are hard to find, but he broke it, he buys you a new one......the end.

Dont dick around with suggestions like turbocharge it? Just get him replace the engine he broke.

A whole thread of illogical ramblings?

RS RIP
yep, this is why i gave my engine-nr. ....

dont settle for anything less then this 736 (or whatever nr. your damaged engine was) !!

Good luck, i can imagine the situation you're in .