ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scary ass corkscrewing feeling

FRS
Ok, So.. Ever since i've had the trophy on reasonably tight right hand corners if I'm doing acceptable speeds, it feels like the back ends tail-sliding like some mad rwd car,

Now I know the front dampers are overdue a refurb but surely if the back is kicking out you'd think the rear dampers are shot? It's happened a few times and i've got a few brown pairs of pants,

Cheers.

FRS
I did wonder why there were shafts going to the rear wheels, in all seriousness it sucks embracing which road surface your going to meet round the next corner, idea's?

FRS
Checked the rear dampers and springs and both are fine visually, but the fronts are well past a refurbishment, could the fronts really cause such a problem? Cheers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Granted it wasn't a trophy, but i've had 3 dampers go and none leaked. Looked fine.

Ex-User (36231)

ClioSport Club Member
Check everything, bearings, ball joints and front dampers.

My front dampers looked fine but were goosed. Replaced and it drives like new but I would jack it up and check for play everywhere front AND rear in addition to a suspension refurb.

FRS
260ef2a14217b99d744002e73c7fe745_zps1b06491d.jpg

b7b8710de65f3e381f3d4ebebf723311_zps3ed6fc0e.jpg

the seal on the front left damper just slides up and down, Covered in old oil/grease.

182 Cup
Just fitted my arb and its money well spent, back end just grips, just waiting for the weekend to fit the pms mount/brace and it should tighten the front too.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like they are all fcuked tbh. The corkscrewing under braking normally means the fronts need a refurb.

FRS
Don't fancy paying £200+ for two koni rears, but i will be in touch with cornering force very soon, and yeah i'll look into the anti roll bar.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Your front dampers are knackered - well known on CT that the 'corkscrewing' is an indication of this. If your issue is on right hand corners, the culprit will be the front left as when its loaded up in the corner it will have no damping properties.

FRS
Your front dampers are knackered - well known on CT that the 'corkscrewing' is an indication of this. If your issue is on right hand corners, the culprit will be the front left as when its loaded up in the corner it will have no damping properties.

Cheers it's always handy getting a response in which i'd hope to hear! Can't wait to get them done, and i think i'll just bite the bullet and buy koni rears also :)

Clio 172, BMW Mini
Will cup dampers work with non cup springs ie standard phase 1 172 springs, as I understand the cup is a little lower, is the difference within the dampers working range, how much stiffer are cup dampers, I cannot lower my car at all in fact would like to get a little more height on front, what is best way to achieve that, thought about diesel springs but would they fit the 172 struts.

Cheers Chris