ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saucy's daily/track 172 Cup

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
So this isn't going to be a big project but I wanted to start a thread in case it progresses later on after a few track days lol.
I'm no stranger to fast cars and once I progressed to proper quick cars they turned into weekend/fun cars and I bought sheds to use as a daily.

Went through loads of sluggish diesels which were boring as hell but did the job. Unfortunately I have to park in some sh@t areas for work so I never get anything that stands out. Well that rules broken with the Cup lol.

A complete of years a go I ditched the diesels for a little £800 Saxo VTR. Some how I managed to find a one owner car and tbh it was quite good fun at times. In 2 years the only thing that went wrong was a light bulb!!

Anyway my main toy is a GT-R and although I use it a lot hooning and other events I can't afford to regularly use it on track. That itch had been getting stronger so I started research in order to find something that could do the daily chore, be economical'ish, be fun at the same time and be up to some track work. Well that's when I found this site and I haven't looked back since. I also didn't want a minter body work wise. Silly as it sounds I didn't want to fall in love with it and then start worrying about where I park it etc. problem is I'm already falling for it lol.

Here's what I bought
image.jpg

Full service history, not long had the belt etc done, vibratechnic mounts, Ktec stealth cat back, new cup dampers, and cooksports.
After initial shake down I noticed a slight knock under the front which I suspected was a ball joint but turned out to be the arb bushes being worn. It needed alignment (although drove straight) and the exhaust was just waaaayyyy too loud for me lol. Never thought I'd say that so I must be getting old. Also got some front wheel arch rub on compressions when making progress. A bit of Dremmel work sorted it, although I also noticed the bump stops had been left off when the last owner did the suspension.

So after using it for 4 weeks I ordered the following to give it a bit of a refresh. Also decided to stick the oem exhaust that the last owner provided me with.
image.jpg

Got that little lot done today. Man it's made a difference. Handling feels really tight and I'm loving it's handling characteristics even more now. Also you might think I'm nuts but I reckon I'll get even more enjoyment out of it with the ktec gone. I can actually make progress without people who are a mile away looking around to see when I'm coming lol.

Next up is just to enjoy the car over the winter and hit the track early next year. Then I may get some buckets, a new steering wheel and some better dics/pads.

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Here's a few pics of her meeting her big sis

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully the next update will be after I've done the first track day. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you next year. I'm not far from Brands so that's where it will have it cherry popped ; )

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Not any proper ones yet fella : ( I'm always out in one of them lol. Need a mate to drive one in convoy after they've both been cleaned for a photo shoot.

Got this but its just another impulse one whilst parking up

image.jpg

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Got shed loads of pics of the GTR though mate so here's a few ; ) as stated she gets used so some are on location whilst doing hooning trips with mates

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Thanks mate. Forum seems really good and very informative. Search function is pukka on here, much better than any of the others I'm on. Feel like I've learnt a lot in such a short space of time.
As much as I didnt initially want to start buying bits for the Cup I can see it happening after a few track days. However it will be more along the handling, light weight side of things as I'm not interested in extra power for it. Seems to have a nice balance at the mo.

Just wish I'd bought one ages ago lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
They are addictive, I'm on my fourth lol. I've had some quick cars before, albeit not quite in the same league as yours. They are good fun, quick ish, handle well, and cheap to buy.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It's a beach in Wales near Porthmadog. 1000 miles done in 3 days of hooning : )

You know that's exactly where I thought it was. I've been to portmadog quite a few times years ago, nice place. We had a static on black rock sands, good times.

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Small world lol. Friend has a holiday home there so it was a night free accommodation for us all during our weekends hooning.
Yeah it is addictive. Even a couple of mates are now keen and may jump on the band wagon. Spreading the word ; )

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Been a while since I posted. Glad to say that after a year of ownership the Cup has never let me down. All I've had go wrong is an injector that needed replacing.

Now to the reason I bought it. Sorry to say I still haven't got it to the track : ( mix of work, travelling, and using the big red lard arse too much lol. Looking to do what I said in the New Year with a few mates so it's time to get a few bits sorted on the Cup to make her ready.

First up have a new left lower ball joint to fit. Then need her aligned as the tacking is off at the mo.
Next new dics's and pads all round and some new rubber. Really not been a fan of the Toyos that are on it. Might be because they are worn but in the wet they are shocking. will do some research on here.

Other than the above its been a great hoot when used daily. Hopefully my next post will be of a pic on the track.

172 Cup
I bought a 172 Cup for similar reasons (albeit I don't have a GTR!) in June. Always hankered for one and wish I bought mine sooner too! I'm also about to replace my KTEC stealth exhaust with a new OEM one for exact same reasons. I take it you didn't notice a loss of performance? I'm fitting OEM centre and rear but will leave the KTEC sports cat on.

Mine came with Toyo T1R on the rear and despite lots of tread they were shocking particularly in the wet. Replaced with Michelin PS3s (good deal on tyre leader) and alignment. Huge difference and all weather performance.

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Hi mate, yeah no loss in power from my bum dyno. I also changed centre and rear to standard.
Toyos in the wet are rubbish. Quick search and I reckon I'll try either some Nankang NS2-R's or Federal RSR's.

172 Cup
Ideal. That's the most important and relevant dyno in my book! Mine not yours that is!

Those tyres will be great esp for track work. I was a bit concerned about going that focused though as my other half sometimes drives it.

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Yeah know what you mean. Run Cup 2's on the Datsun and in the dry they are mental. But in the wet they are rather lively lol. Especially trying to contain 600 horses

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Thanks to George on here I've now refreshed the brakes at long last. They felt in all honesty, sh@t. Not any more. Brembo HC up front with ds2500 and Brembo pads out back. Feels far better and really strong.
Car hasn't handled very sweetly recently and a quick £8 ball joint has sorted that out. Car feels so much better already.
Hankooks have turned up today so new boots on tomorrow and an alignment. Then she's day for the track in the early New Year : )
Next pic should be from the track

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
First two two trackdays now booked. Cadwel in Jan and Bedford in Feb. Also booked a Sprint day in March but I'm using he Datsun for that. Can't wait to get the Cup on Cadwel. Hopefully see some of you there

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Cadwell next week and can't wait. Having fitted the new brakes I was having an issue with the accelerator pedal being too low for heel n toe. Raised the pedal slightly with a few washers and back to sweet hell n toe downshifts. Bring on Cadwell!!!!

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
So she finally made it to a trackday. Got to say she was a right laugh!

Left home at 3am and drove 200 miles to Cadwell Park. Did 110 track miles in poor conditions (icy) and then drove 200 miles back home. Car didn't miss a beat and felt at home on the track. Well apart from the tyres which we out of their comfort zone so once they are done I'll get a second hand set of 15's and some sticky rubber.

Really impressed with the motor which is full weight, really held its own and I even managed to keep it on track the whole day ; )

Checked her over at weekend and there's barely any sign I've done a trackday on the tyres or brakes. No doubt the slippery conditions helped that. 90 mph 4 wheel drift with mate chasing was a reminder of how slippery it was lol. Barely used any oil at all either. Top motors

Bedford next month and then plenty more during the year.
Few of pics to follow

R35 GT-R, 172 Cup
Lol, soz mate, didn't mean to rub your nose in it. Hopefully your be back on track soon fella. You going to Bedford in Feb?