ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Santa Pod 1/4 mile, hints and tips...?

200 FF Storm Grey
Thought this thread might be interesting and useful.

I'm planning on going up the strip at the weekend, now im a comlplete n00b to the drag world and the fact I've only had the 182 for 4 weeks doesn't help matters.

But I'm just looking for what is standard practice in a 182 on the strip.

There's the obvious...

Don't carry loads of petrol
Don't carry any luggage
Traction Control off

But what else is there? How to launch? What revs do you feel is best to change at? Is it beneficial to keep your foot slightly planted while changing gears?

200 FF Storm Grey
So when would you change, 7500 revs?

Also for the burnout.. handbrake on and foot down is it?

172 cup
tyre pressures is an important one, too high and you'll be spinning for ages. Too low and it will effect your top speed. But you want lower pressures then you would use on the road if that makes sense

200 FF Storm Grey
You wont be doing a burnout unless your running slicks.

Well you can't have slicks on the strip and i've seen plenty of cars do their burnouts so that can't be true

tyre pressures is an important one, too high and you'll be spinning for ages. Too low and it will effect your top speed. But you want lower pressures then you would use on the road if that makes sense

Ok cheers, what's the best pressure for standard alloys and pilots? Think they're @ 34 at the mo

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You can have slicks on the strip at Santa Pod. There were quite a few when I went. I'd say first time avoid the burnouts and as you come up to the line avoid the water they have on the track.

When I went, I dropped tyres pressures 1 or 2 PSI (I think I normally run 32, 30) but that was because it was the first time I was driving with the rear interior out, so wasn't sure how the weight change would affect handling.

I'd say focus on a good start, prob 3-4k revs (you'll know after a few goes where's best as it'll vary depending on grip levels) and make sure not to hit the limiter when changing.

The timing only starts from once you actually start to move away. When the lights go green, it times you from then until you move (reaction time) and then from when you move to crossing the line (1/4 mile time). I think trying to get away as quickly as possible after lights going green actually ruined my launch. Quick reactions are really only useful for trying to beat the guy next to you IMO.

Most importantly, more than anything else, just have fun mate!

200 FF Storm Grey
Cheers for that Vish, so I'll drop the pressures from 34 to 32 yeh?

Sure all my mates will be filming hoping for me to stall or balls up lol so there'll be plenty of evidence of how i get on

Dont wheel spin much...you are just loosing traction.
Watch them lights as they change very very quickly and just enjoy yourself...soooo fun imo.

200 FF Storm Grey
Bet it is, always wanted to have a go down there, nothing looks better than a nice sounding car screaming ready to go, look out for me anyways every1 if you're going, wouldn't mind meeting a few members and maybe a head to head

I'm in a black gold 182 with stripped rear, yozza system, lowered and a 3/4 front plate

330Ci (Fail)Sport
No worries mate. I had a blast when I went. It was a dark cold day, so not many people came. I got 11 runs between 10:30 and 4 so wasn't bad.

Will have to go again once modding has started!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
No worries mate. I had a blast when I went. It was a dark cold day, so not many people came. I got 11 runs between 10:30 and 4 so wasn't bad.

Will have to go again once modding has started!

Thats really good! Last time I went I got like 6 in a day :/

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Copied from a previous post

The thing with drag racing is ( what no ones yet mentioned ) it makes a big difference with the tyres your using and the strip your racing at itself.

If your running a decent set ( not semi slicks or other various junk ive seen people using ) im talking Mickey Thompsons or Hoosiers and at the correct pressure you will drastically reduce your 0 - 60 foot ( not mph ) time. This is essential as your launch is the key to a fast time. You need to do a proper burn out to get the tyres up to heat - DONT just quickly spin the wheels and pull up to the line. You need to drop the clutch in 1st at high revs and burn the nuts off them - till theres white smoke filling the strip. Then reverse and do it again.

Theres several strips in the UK - Most common are Santa Pod, Shakespeare county raceway and York. York dragstrip is run on a budget and imo is an absolute s**thole of a track. If you want to break records stay clear. Shakespeare county raceway is pretty good but Santa Pod is the best. At the Pod they glue the track and if you get the right driver behind the wheel of a well set up 172 Clio with the mods you have got, high 13's will be on the cards.

Dont be scared of breaking your car - give it death and then some. It will always mend.

Key to a good strip car is good set of racing slicks, camber of front wheels set up correctly and tyre pressures correct, powerful engine and a driver that knows his own car.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Cheers for that Vish, so I'll drop the pressures from 34 to 32 yeh?

Sure all my mates will be filming hoping for me to stall or balls up lol so there'll be plenty of evidence of how i get on

15.7 First run working down to 14.4 by end of the day i reckon ;)
let me know how you get on ?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
If your tyres are at the right pressure, there hot and its not raining launch at 5500 rpm. People make the mistake of launching at 3 - 4000 rpm. Dont - if the wheels grip you will the car will stall / lose power.

I used to launch at 5000 rpm with 400 bhp in a FWD Clio and it gripped ( OK LSD was fitted ) but no traction or launch control system. Ran a 60 foot time of 1.8 seconds !!

Invest in the right tyres - thats my advice

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I'll be there, would be interesting to have a 1on1. I've never done it before either so if you see me in the queue time it to line up next to me.

I've got a 172 in flame red on an 02 plate with a cliosport.net sticker in the back and a mini one in the side window.

I bet the adrenalin rush is immense :D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If your tyres are at the right pressure, there hot and its not raining launch at 5500 rpm. People make the mistake of launching at 3 - 4000 rpm. Dont - if the wheels grip you will the car will stall / lose power.

I had this last time I went, launched to low down the revs and failed, launch on cam ;)

ibiza cupra
i went to avon park a few weeks ago and held the revs at 4000. then when the lights changed i let off the clutch and the wheels just span up stait away and i bounced off the limiter before i had even moved so i tryed 3000 - 3500 next time and that seemed to be ok. great fun though, i cant wait for my next trip

53 Clio's & counting
you cant just rev the nuts off and floor it, you have to launch at fairly high revs and feather the throttle to get the right medium between spinning and grip

Focus RS mk1
i wouldnt launch from high revs spinning up will just ruin your time, launch from 3000rpm and build up steady not releasing the clutch out too fast, fast bite will cause you to spin, the pod is not as grippy as its looks, can launch alot quicker on normal tarmac so getting in practice on your private runway prob wont help much. very addictive, have fun and get your moneys worth

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Launch at 3000rpm and feed the power in till it grips is what i find best . very addictive and GREAT buzz :approve:

53 Clio's & counting
thats why i said you have to feather the throttle mate, to aviod spinning, it takes alot of practice, but launching at higher revs is the key, when you launch at 3k your constantly fighting against the motor trying to bog down, and also the wheels loosing a tiny bit of grip is ok, just not a proper spin, like i said its very hard to control, iv been 1/4 miling at pod for the past 10 years, and its taken me a long time to get the launch right

Listen to Matt black:

Originally Posted by MATT BLACK
The thing with drag racing is ( what no ones yet mentioned ) it makes a big difference with the tyres your using and the strip your racing at itself.

If your running a decent set ( not semi slicks or other various junk ive seen people using ) im talking Mickey Thompsons or Hoosiers and at the correct pressure you will drastically reduce your 0 - 60 foot ( not mph ) time. This is essential as your launch is the key to a fast time. You need to do a proper burn out to get the tyres up to heat - DONT just quickly spin the wheels and pull up to the line. You need to drop the clutch in 1st at high revs and burn the nuts off them - till theres white smoke filling the strip. Then reverse and do it again.

Theres several strips in the UK - Most common are Santa Pod, Shakespeare county raceway and York. York dragstrip is run on a budget and imo is an absolute s**thole of a track. If you want to break records stay clear. Shakespeare county raceway is pretty good but Santa Pod is the best. At the Pod they glue the track and if you get the right driver behind the wheel of a well set up 172 Clio with the mods you have got, high 13's will be on the cards.

Dont be scared of breaking your car - give it death and then some. It will always mend.

Key to a good strip car is good set of racing slicks, camber of front wheels set up correctly and tyre pressures correct, powerful engine and a driver that knows his own car.

Focus RS mk1
ive had pretty good times without going to the extent of "white smoke filling the strip"! theres alsorts of ideas you can try its what suits you best every driver is different, mine has never felt like it wants to bog down if i launch at 3000rpm! ive tried granny starts, high rev starts, full throttle gear changing, slipping the clutch in feathering the throttle and i feel ive found whats works best for me

Ph1 172 Sunflower :)
there was a guy at the pod running good times in a 172 cup with lumo green front alloys friday and sat.

200 FF Storm Grey
I got 3 15.2's in the end which im happy about :)

My first attempt was a poor 16.2 but id nvr ever done it before and my start was poor, second attempt was up agaisnt an orange focus st and I think I ran like a 15.6, we were so close though, did the clio justice, his mrs filmed it so should be on youtube apparently.

I know I wasn't getting the most from the car in that first 60foot though, didn't bother with tyre pressures or proper burn outs plus had a good quarter tank in so with some proper preperation I think next time round a 14.5 is achievable.

Did meet one member off of here, forgot his name, sound guy with an Artic 172

Ph1
When is the best time to change gear on a quarter?

Right at the point of your peak power or just prior to the rev limiter?

200 FF Storm Grey
I was changing at 7k revs, next time though I may hang on a little longer as chaning at 7k was leaving me needing to go into 4th just before the line so that gear change would prob add .1+ on

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I got 3 15.2's in the end which im happy about :)

My first attempt was a poor 16.2 but id nvr ever done it before and my start was poor, second attempt was up agaisnt an orange focus st and I think I ran like a 15.6, we were so close though, did the clio justice, his mrs filmed it so should be on youtube apparently.

I know I wasn't getting the most from the car in that first 60foot though, didn't bother with tyre pressures or proper burn outs plus had a good quarter tank in so with some proper preperation I think next time round a 14.5 is achievable.

Did meet one member off of here, forgot his name, sound guy with an Artic 172

Good times mate for a first go what was your terminal speed 90 ??

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
90.something or other mate

Thought so mine always is 88 - 92 on 17" wheels that extra few 10's of a second dont sound much but is REALLY hard to get your time down , in a std car (ff) its hard to get in the 14's most people say 14's is easy But it is not. Really good fun thouy and very addictive :D

200 FF Storm Grey
Yeh very addictive, I wanted to keep going but didnt want to damage the little clio, the clutch seemed to be stickign a little bit after id finished but on the way home it seemed to fix itself lol, my corsa was like that, would develop a problem then it'd just go

got to love these self fixing cars... :\

TVR Cerbera
there was a guy at the pod running good times in a 172 cup with lumo green front alloys friday and sat.

That was me, fastest run was 13.6 at 106. Still had a fair bit of wheelspin, but with more pratise i recon i could get 13.4 ish

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
So when would you change, 7500 revs?

Also for the burnout.. handbrake on and foot down is it?

You NEED to give it a BIG burn out before you drag.

I went with a mate few weeks back and he was taking .2-.4 off his times when he'd warmed the tyres properly.

Dont worry about burning passed the start line if it means you can burn up better. My mate was doing 2/3 times and it certainly works.

Let your tyres down too not sure what psi he went down to but we let air out for at least 5-6 seconds.

He was in a 106, 16ver his best was 14.3.

200 FF Storm Grey
I did do a burnout at least I thought I did, put handbrake on and let rip for like a good 8-10 seconds, then coming upto the start line it was spinning away like it was wild but my mate said to me I was barely doing out (which I find hard to believe but thats what he said) so next time I think handbrake off is a better approach for burnout, let the wheels spin more

TVR Cerbera
I did do a burnout at least I thought I did, put handbrake on and let rip for like a good 8-10 seconds, then coming upto the start line it was spinning away like it was wild but my mate said to me I was barely doing out (which I find hard to believe but thats what he said) so next time I think handbrake off is a better approach for burnout, let the wheels spin more
Not sure if i saw you go up the strip, but the majority of the lesser modified/standard cars, were doing a burnout, but only spinning 1 wheel, usually the passenger side, then when at the start line was spinning the otherside!

I now have coilovers fitted and it improved my burnout no end as i now spin both wheels all the time. it used to do just 1 side.

Don't worry about it too much, just try a bit less loud pedal till you get traction

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Yeah he said the same, thought he was doing it plenty but from the outside it wasnt enough.

And his times improved when he did them for longer.