ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rust Spots on 10 month old 182

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Evening all. I was cleaning the car this afternoon when i noticed some tiny rust spots on the tailgate and also one tiny rust spot on the driver door. Does anyone know why the hell i would have rust on an 10 month old car and if the body work would be repaired under warranty or indeed are they easy to fix yourself? Cheers in advance for any help.

al

ST on the way...
If they are from inside to out then they are covered under the Renault antiperforation warranty IIRC.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Thanks for the replys guys as i said they're only tiny spots, like pin prick size but even so the car shouldn't have them on. I'll be taking the motor back to the dealers asap. Not bad really only my third visit in a month, FFS!:mad:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think the bodywork warranty i.e. rust , perforation is 12 months

warranty on paint is 5 or 6 years ??

10 months is not good :(

MrBillyUK !

106 GTi
This may not as bad as it seems, are you sure it is the car rusting and not attached particles that a have rusted. Industrial fall out or rail dust if you park anywhere near railway lines can cause small particles to attach themselves to your paint, being silver as they rust they will show up more so on other cars. Try some Paitwork clay and see if it sorts it out.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
r-jay said:
This may not as bad as it seems, are you sure it is the car rusting and not attached particles that a have rusted. Industrial fall out or rail dust if you park anywhere near railway lines can cause small particles to attach themselves to your paint, being silver as they rust they will show up more so on other cars. Try some Paitwork clay and see if it sorts it out.

I must admit r-jay, the spot on the door i kind of scraped off but i did'nt want to muck about with the spots on the back just in case. I'll have another look in the morning. Maybe it's time to invest in some clay and a polisher:approve:

i'll echo that above post^^

may be particles.

i know if you grind near your car the bits of metal can stick to the paint and rust then be quite obvious, happened to me

pretty sure clay would lift it off.

A4 Avant & A3
I have similar marks on the tailgate of my 172..
I thought it was very tiny rust dots, but i have noticed it on the boot handle too .. and thats plastic, isn't it?
i've tried cleaning it off but it doesn't happen.. been wondering about this for a while now.??
maybe i should try this clay stuff too.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Dave3141 said:
you can get it on ebay, I had exact same thing, i thought it was rust too. the clay will remove it.
Cheers for putting my mind at rest, i might sleep a bit easier tonight now.:approve:

A4 Avant & A3
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you actually do with this clay then?
do you need to use anything after using clay? i.e polish/wax?

106 GTi
After claying you need to rewax you paint to renew the protection, as claying strips off all your old wax/sealant.

As rich says probably fallout. The back of mine was covered in it. I dont live or park anywhere that it would(should) be present in the atmosphere so i can only assume its the innards of the exhaust being blown out and then the airflow over the clio sucking it back onto the rear of the car. Clay will resolve it.

Megane Mk4
Mines doing that too .. On the front of the bonnet. a couple of pin hole rust spots, but it's underneath the top coat so I'm going to be on to Renault too me thinks.. :(
Mines kind of shows up more on the racing blue than if it were silver.

1st time it will have had to go in for something since picking it up.

Andi

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Update on the rust spots. I just had a little scrape with my fingernail and they came off, well pleased at the moment. R-jay you called that spot on mate, cheers:D

Get yourself a claybar and do the whole car. They may not be rust on the actual "car" but they can do no end of damage if they are left to corrode on the paint.

Loony said:
Get yourself a claybar and do the whole car. They may not be rust on the actual "car" but they can do no end of damage if they are left to corrode on the paint.

As the man says - you will be amazed at the result...:)

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Loony said:

I shall do that Loony, cheers mate.

its not their fault ^^^ its crap thats landed on it. You dont take the car to Renault when a bird s***s on the car and etches the paint do you? If the particles come off then they are caused mainly by either heavy industry near your workplace/home or trains that kick up small metallic particles into the atmosphere that then end up on the car. Clay can remove it. If its under the paint then its Renaults fault.

A4 Avant & A3
r-jay said:
After claying you need to rewax you paint to renew the protection, as claying strips off all your old wax/sealant.

Thanks for the advice r-jay... I'm normally a bucket of soapy water & a rinse off kind of guy lol
Think i need to get some cleaning products... & learn how to wax my car.

Are there any things i should know about before using this clay bar? such as anything that will damage the paintwork..??

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Make sure the loose dirt is off the car after a good wash, make sure the clay is warm and plyable like blue tack or it will scratch the paint if hard. Need the clay in use to keep giving a fresh side to rub against the paint. If you drop the clay on the floor, bin it. I split a bar into 2 or 3 just in case.

106 GTi
Loony said:

As Loony says in time they will etch into the paint properly and will cause it to rust. Get it sortd asap. It's not Renaults fault as long as it is contamination stuck on the surface and not under the paint problems. Being as some came of the door it sounds like it is and will be sortable by clay.

Another good reason to sort it yourself is can you imagine what Renault would do the paint trying to sort it!