ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's Honda S2000

53 Clio's & counting
Well the Clio sold last week - again sad to see it go, but with the holiday to NY I have to pay for, plus a new car for Claire and various bits at home, the chances of me doing any track days next year are very slim, and there was no point in me having a track car and doing no track days, so a chance incounter with a friend of a friend left me with my latest purchase.

I've always wanted an S2000, and this is also my first Honda (believe it or not lol).

So the deal was done, and the nice chap I bought it from delivered it to me a few days ago.

So, the spec is:

2003 on an '03' reg
105,000 miles
Imola Orange
Recent new clutch and gearbox rebuild
FSH
3 owners.

Now the bad bit - remember I bought my last Clio with a knocking engine? Well guess what lol, same again!

I got this at a fantastic price (about 35% of it's value if it was working) due to the knock. I think it is the same as my last Clio, which is span a bearing shell.

This one is no where near as bad sounding mind - it is quite as a mouse on idle and low revs, it has a rattle when reving up and letting off.

So plan is to whip off the sump and have a look at the damage, and whip the top end off to check for any scoring/discolouration from heat damage.

The car was shut off when the rattling was heard, and has been run for only a few seconds since, so I'm hoping it might not be too damaged, but I am budgeting for a replacement engine - we shall see!

There is no rush to get this finished, I have to pay for the holiday before spending out anything on this, so it should hopefully be finished somewhere around spring next year.

The colour is a bit marmite, but at least it's a bit different from the usual grey they came in!

Not many modifications planned, I'd like to get it back to it's previous spec which is a slight drop, combined with a set of 17's off a later S2000

Here are a few pics

20121103_150411.jpg

20121103_150332.jpg

20121103_150426.jpg

20121101_080058.jpg

20121101_080104.jpg

And this is what it will look like when done (This is a picture of my actual car from about 6 months ago, I just need a slight drop and the wheels)

DSC_8755.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Oh my goodness!!!

Fantastic colour!! Rare i gather too? That reg plate aswell! <3

Great purchase my san. Will she see a track i take it?

53 Clio's & counting
Oh my goodness!!!

Fantastic colour!! Rare i gather too? That reg plate aswell! <3

Great purchase my san. Will she see a track i take it?

Cheers mate, plates coming off it though, as previous owner is selling seperately :(

Yeah she will see a track, not sure when though!

Love the colour! I actually don't think I've seen one in this colour!

It is a very rare one, I have only seen a few for sale ever in Imola Orange, in fact I think there are none for sale that I could find at the mo :)

nice Russ just in time for winter!

Ha lol, that doesn't bother me mate, the Roof went on my Elise about 5 times in my ownership and I bought that in winter ;)

Though as said, I doubt it will be finished until spring anyway

Thanks mate :)

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Nice looking i love the colour

My mate has one that he is currently putting a corvette ls1 lump in over winter

53 Clio's & counting
Super jealous!

lol cheers mate

Nice russssssel

Thank you Sir, hows the flying going?

Guess we need to get a weekend sorted out for us to pull apart the block ;)

Yup, though I may just quickly whip off the sump for a quickie nosey here....

Nice looking i love the colour

My mate has one that he is currently putting a corvette ls1 lump in over winter

I bet that will be awesome, love the Vette lumps

S2000s are renowned for oil starvation issues on track days - maybe what has happened to this one?

Very much possibly mate, I'm guessing either oil starvation or it's been ran low on oil at some point in it's life

53 Clio's & counting
Very nice, Russ... Mega rare colour, never seen that before! (I actually really like it :eek:)

Thanks sweetie, you will have to have a drive of it x

I will own one, one day.

Thats what I said :)

That's amazing! Whats the future plans?

A hardtop would looks the dog's in THAT colour :)

Jealous...

Basically a good tidy up, slightly lower, better wheels and thats about it (I've said that before though.....)

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Beautiful, Always had a thing for them.

But I have to say it needs, the Hardtop. and for some reason I feel it needs some anthracite grey Rays Volk TE-37 with some stretched tyres. :p

But you will never have a problem with the engine.

I'm more into my boost these days. Man boost, with lag, not mincy little faggot boost that most modern cars come with. But there's no denying the quality of the engine in the S2000. Probably the best naturally aspirated 4-pot ever put into a production car. The gearbox is also brilliant. Great cars. Although from memory, the steering feel leaves a little to be desired. Not EP3 bad though.

As for the colour, I didn't even know it existed, so it's pretty rare in my books. Great buy! It'll look amazing once you put the phase 2 rims back on.

Oh and don't bother taking it out in the snow unless you fit some winter tyres. You'll be doing reverse crazy Jap drifting up (down) anything steeper than a 0.1% incline.

Oh and don't bother taking it out in the snow unless you fit some winter tyres. You'll be doing reverse crazy Jap drifting up (down) anything steeper than a 0.1% incline.

RWD is fine in the snow. It's when the slush has become ice that you struggle.

VTEC will grate on you Russ, unless you're one of the die hard fanboys.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'm sure the timing tensioners can cause a dealthy rattle, however not sure about knocking noises

53 Clio's & counting
Beautiful, Always had a thing for them.

But I have to say it needs, the Hardtop. and for some reason I feel it needs some anthracite grey Rays Volk TE-37 with some stretched tyres. :p

But you will never have a problem with the engine.

Ha lol yeah I'd like a hard top but too much money!

I'm more into my boost these days. Man boost, with lag, not mincy little faggot boost that most modern cars come with. But there's no denying the quality of the engine in the S2000. Probably the best naturally aspirated 4-pot ever put into a production car. The gearbox is also brilliant. Great cars. Although from memory, the steering feel leaves a little to be desired. Not EP3 bad though.

As for the colour, I didn't even know it existed, so it's pretty rare in my books. Great buy! It'll look amazing once you put the phase 2 rims back on.

Cheers Roy, yeah it doesn't quite have the punch of yours - I have had thoughts of charging it (hello 400bhp) but to be honest I'm gonna try to leave it be, tweak it a little in parts but just enjoy the great setup as it is :)

It's not my daily driver so it won't be used in silly weather

RWD is fine in the snow. It's when the slush has become ice that you struggle.

VTEC will grate on you Russ, unless you're one of the die hard fanboys.

Yeah gaz I've heard vtec is a marmite thing, but with the experience I've had with these I've never found them particularly wanting power at low revs for normal driving, so we shall see how we get on - it's always been a car I've wanted and it made sense to get another roadster like the else but a lot lower price for a bit

53 Clio's & counting
Guess you bought this from Cardiff area Russ? ;)

One of the best colours IMO and I'm very jealous mate!

Yeah mate, do you know Adam? Will have to come see you once it's done

I'm sure the timing tensioners can cause a dealthy rattle, however not sure about knocking noises

They certainly can mate, it's something I will check but I think it's terminal

That colour is amazing, I've never seen it before. Good purchase mate.

Thanks dude :)

Russ it appears to be missing an air filter.

Flol damn it Sam I knew something was wrong ;)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Let me know if the engine is too fubard for you to fix and i'll have it at a sensible price.. would be nice in the 5 ;)

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Looks epic on the newer wheels, will look forward to seeing it finished

1.2 16v
Love the colour!

If you need any inspiration check out Rich McKee. He's from hull, used to run a car club "fast and modded" (it's no longer about though) had an r33 skyline then bought his s2000. Anything you need to know he could be useful.

His websites www.r-m-photography.com tbh everyone should check it out.

Here's a snap of his s2k.

SteveyA94

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, this is an interesting one.

Nice colour (I think?) I'm not totally set on it, maybe it needs (I can't believe I'm saying this) dark wheels?

Looking forward to see how you get on with it mate.