ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ok, So a milestone this weekend it all started with...

Gave the primed panels a hover and a good wipe down with blue roll and panel wipe, then hooked up my new spray gun (I didn’t buy the gravity fed one as I was spraying upwards when spraying the roof!

cagewelded120.jpg

And gave the whole interior three coats of Renault 647 pearl black (mixed to 60/40 with thinners) and left this to dry, then blew the gun through with thinners. Earlier that day I had bought 1.5 litres of 2 pac lacquer, 500mls of quick thinners and rocket activator, mixed these to the correct amounts and then gave all the panels two coats of lacquer. Good job I had my respirator on as the two pac lacquer is a killer!

I didn’t get any pics of just the car painted as the battery died but you can see the black paint in all the next pics J

So at 11am rich (Gib172) had driven down from Cumbria to weld the roll cage in for me! Before we could start welding we had to hook the air sander up to take the black paint off the roll cage mounting plates. Then we the help of three people we lifted the rear part of the cage into place, then the front hoop! We spent the best part of 40 minutes lining the cage up and making sure that all the joints where a snug fit. Then whilst taping the front mount with a hammer the fooking front hoop dropped onto my head, ouch... now have a melon sized lump on the back of my head)

Once it was all lined up and we had cleaned the pint of blood from my head up we could start welding the cage.

We started with the two mounts between the rear arches.

cagewelded114.jpg

cagewelded115.jpg

cagewelded085.jpg

then the next two mounts above the rear axel

cagewelded086.jpg

centre of the cage mounts

cagewelded071.jpg

cagewelded069.jpg

cagewelded067.jpg

cagewelded076.jpg

other side

cagewelded083.jpg

cagewelded084.jpg

one of the front left lower mount being welded in

cagewelded091.jpg

roof mounts half way through..

cagewelded088.jpg

cagewelded087.jpg

sanding the paint off for the first door bar.. and the tips of the bar

cagewelded094.jpg

cagewelded092.jpg

one door bar welded in..

cagewelded093.jpg

one side of the lower cross bar being welded in

cagewelded077.jpg

cagewelded070.jpg

cagewelded073.jpg

my now melon head doing some filing prep for a weld

cagewelded078.jpg

and some green dust all over the floor i had made LOL

cagewelded089.jpg

second part of the door bar being welded in

cagewelded095.jpg

cagewelded097.jpg

other sides door bars in

cagewelded090.jpg

cagewelded099.jpg

cagewelded117.jpg

random shots of the cage in

cagewelded101.jpg

cagewelded100.jpg

cagewelded098.jpg

cagewelded109.jpg

cagewelded102.jpg

:D

wana say thanks to Ad, Adam, Gib172 and sambo for the help yesterday

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the doors have also been painted on the top part as the carbon fibre door cards will cover the unpainted parts

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
also a few things have arrived ..

superlight weight ally checker plate floor plates to be rivited in

cagewelded103.jpg

cagewelded104.jpg

my heatwraped and heat coated miltec 2 1/2 inch de-cat

cagewelded112.jpg

new welding gloves...

cagewelded119.jpg

deamon tweeks wiring kit for the redtop battery

cagewelded118.jpg

few spitfire guages for the custom dash (theres still a few on order.. boost etc)

cagewelded108.jpg

cagewelded107.jpg

cagewelded106.jpg

cagewelded105.jpg

williams 2
fair play with the effort but during this weather it would of been easier to buy a ex clio cup car or even a new 197 cup racer! there only £25,000 + vat or summit small ;)

How come you have heatwrapped the exhaust manifold and decat? Just to keep heat out the engine bay im guessing but how much does that actually help?

Mk4 .:R32
nice to see more progress ben. this will be a beast when up and running. Interesting to see what time it gets at the nurburgring

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
well as i have removed the fire/heat insulation from the bay and cockpit... with 400hp through the manifold.... things could get a little red LOL

plus it keeps bay temp down and can improve performance. i heatwrapped the top part of the de-cat as it joins the manifold in the engine bay (just)

clio 200 F4Rt
another excellent update!

with the cage, in the description on ebay, it says it comes with harness attachment bars.

I didnt get these with mine, unless it means you fix them to the long cross bar at the back?

any ideas???

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
another excellent update!

with the cage, in the description on ebay, it says it comes with harness attachment bars.

I didnt get these with mine, unless it means you fix them to the long cross bar at the back?

any ideas???

i know, i saw this too. i've got quite a few bars left over (which i bought seperatly)

i think i will attach mine on the bar between the rear arch's :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Loving it fella, brilliant progress and what a cage! When you said your cage had taken a long while to arrive you neglected to mention it was the most full on cage you could've got lol.

Keep up the good work!!!

Weeman sucks ****
This is one of the best threads I've seen in here in years. Top effort Ben, can't wait to see the finished project.

Round of applause and a king size mars bar for you...:D