ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running problem(long)

1.2 16v Renault Clio
Hi all, another problem with my 1.2 16v, last saturday i cleaned my throttle body as i was told it needs doing, after putting it all back together i turned my car on and it sounded really lumpy, i took it for a drive to see if warming it up made it run better and it sounded like a v8, once i got back to work i lifted the bonnet and tried all the coil leads to see what happened, i lifted them all out individually as the engine was running and #1 and #4 made hardly any difference when pulled out whereas #2 and #3 made the engine almost stall, i then removed #1 and #4 at the same time and the car almost sounded normal as in not lumpy. I limped the car home and put a brand new coil pack on sunday, still not solved the problem. (could be a faulty coil pack still?) my dad then suggested trying new plugs as his car sounded relatively similar when he put new plugs in as 1 was a duff. I figured the best way was to swap plug in #1 for #2 and see if it was the plug or the cylinder itself? If that is correct, so yesterday i set back on the car in hope that this would be the issue, i removed plug #1 and onto plug #2, there was no restriction when i tried undoing the plug, so i shined a torch down the hole and the bottom of the boot had come off the boot and stuck to the plug. (problem after problem) if it does not happen to be the plugs that are the problem, doea anyone have and other ideas? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: forgot to mention orange eml is on/flashing and there is a clicking from behind o/s headlight when i turn car off.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Hi all, another problem with my 1.2 16v, last saturday i cleaned my throttle body as i was told it needs doing, after putting it all back together i turned my car on and it sounded really lumpy, i took it for a drive to see if warming it up made it run better and it sounded like a v8, once i got back to work i lifted the bonnet and tried all the coil leads to see what happened, i lifted them all out individually as the engine was running and #1 and #4 made hardly any difference when pulled out whereas #2 and #3 made the engine almost stall, i then removed #1 and #4 at the same time and the car almost sounded normal as in not lumpy. I limped the car home and put a brand new coil pack on sunday, still not solved the problem. (could be a faulty coil pack still?) my dad then suggested trying new plugs as his car sounded relatively similar when he put new plugs in as 1 was a duff. I figured the best way was to swap plug in #1 for #2 and see if it was the plug or the cylinder itself? If that is correct, so yesterday i set back on the car in hope that this would be the issue, i removed plug #1 and onto plug #2, there was no restriction when i tried undoing the plug, so i shined a torch down the hole and the bottom of the boot had come off the boot and stuck to the plug. (problem after problem) if it does not happen to be the plugs that are the problem, doea anyone have and other ideas? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: forgot to mention orange eml is on/flashing and there is a clicking from behind o/s headlight when i turn car off.

Change the plugs and HT leads,as one appears to have fallen apart.If problem still persists,get the fault codes read.Don`t take it as gospel what the fault code reads,as its as likely the problem will be corroded wiring,as opposed to a component failure.
Chaffed wiring on the cage of the ECM at the rear of the engine is a common problem too.

1.2 16v Renault Clio
Chaffed wiring on the cage of the ECM at the rear of the engine is a common problem too.
The box at the back of the engine has been removed before i bought the car, plugs are maximum a month old and coil pack/leads were brand new sunday, i have warranty on the pack so if that is a problem means no money needs spending. Few blokes at work are saying it could be injectors also?

PH2 172
The box at the back of the engine has been removed before i bought the car, plugs are maximum a month old and coil pack/leads were brand new sunday, i have warranty on the pack so if that is a problem means no money needs spending. Few blokes at work are saying it could be injectors also?
Was cleaning the throttle body an attempt to cure this problem,and was the orange light on before you did that?

1.2 16v Renault Clio
Orange light never been on as long as i've owned the car and i cleaned the throttle body as it had a high idle and would rev on its own sometimes

1.2 16v Renault Clio
Faulty injector is my first guess
Didn't even see this, sorry mate, i have heard about a common injector fault on clios, iirc the one on the far right of the engine? Could that cause all the problems? I'm getting hold of a code reader monday so hopefully that tells me what it is.