ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running on 50% cooking oil

Civic Vtec y0
So I know this is possible in the older diesel cars, however just wondering if you can do it in every car or is there a certain type of engine needed etc?

Also do you need to pre mix it or can you go fill up half diesel and then just add the oil when you get home?

If any one has done it before then maybe give me a PM? Or reply here but im not sure about the legal side of things lol

Oh and what happens if VOSA check your fuel? Car crushed or what?

Thanks in advance

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dodgey c**t ;) lol emm as far as im aware you cant do it on the newer DCi engines, needs to be the old diesels with a certain make of fuel pump

i can get staff discount on somerfields cheapest cooking oil too lol

Civic Vtec y0
dodgey c**t ;) lol emm as far as im aware you cant do it on the newer DCi engines, needs to be the old diesels with a certain make of fuel pump

i can get staff discount on somerfields cheapest cooking oil too lol

PMSL its not for the instructor wagon, wouldnt risk it. I do a fair bit of gardening and maintenance work as well so buying a old runner for that coz the Clio gets minging

How much can you get it for in Somerfield?

Don't they have to run Bosch fuel pumps for it to work?

Dont know lol, thats why am askin

It works fine on the dci's.

Go and half fill up with cooking oil, then diesel (as it mixes it up a bit), and then it'll run fine. Smells like a chippy out the exhaust though.

Civic Vtec y0
It works fine on the dci's.

Go and half fill up with cooking oil, then diesel (as it mixes it up a bit), and then it'll run fine. Smells like a chippy out the exhaust though.
Its not for the DCi, its for a Vauxhall 1.7TD (1998 I think)

So you can just use cooking oil off the shelf?

CLIO 1.2
Don't use sunflower oil mind, as it contains something that the cars don't like. Don't think it's against the law as it's more eco than deisel, there is something about keeping a log of how much you use for tax purposes.

I had a Toyota that used to get filled up with Aldi cooking oil, but they stuck it up to over a pound a litre so went back to diesel as it was to much hassle for the lack of saving. Got rid of the diesel now.

Frenchman

03 RS clio 172 flameR
iligal cos they aint taxing it, if they could tax smack you would get it with a happy meal! but if u want to hit the jack-pot, go to a motorway services with a kfc, look round the back, u will find a fenced off area, with just a gate left open, in there will be a hut, with the gate open, in ther you will find 5 gallon containers of used and filtered KFC cooking oil, and this oil is just collected every 3 months by a big van, and they would never notice if any went missing :cool:

Civic Vtec y0
Wont used oil have lots of wee bits of shite in it tho?? or what would you filter it with?

I used to work for Spoons so maybe they would help me out lol

Worst case scenario tho I just use standard cooking oil yea?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Wont used oil have lots of wee bits of s**te in it tho?? or what would you filter it with?

I used to work for Spoons so maybe they would help me out lol

Worst case scenario tho I just use standard cooking oil yea?
You filter out all the crap by pouring it though filters...? lol :)

Bog standard works fine AFAIK.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
im pretty sure that its gotta be mixed with other things but might just be wat iv herd..

a burnt one
iligal cos they aint taxing it, if they could tax smack you would get it with a happy meal! but if u want to hit the jack-pot, go to a motorway services with a kfc, look round the back, u will find a fenced off area, with just a gate left open, in there will be a hut, with the gate open, in ther you will find 5 gallon containers of used and filtered KFC cooking oil, and this oil is just collected every 3 months by a big van, and they would never notice if any went missing :cool:

1, it's not illegal, 2, it never was illegal provided you declared you were using it and paid the relevant tax, if not you'd have a £500 fine and your car impounded.

As of July it was made legal to run your car on vegetable oil, some garages even have Biodiesel pumps.

2005 Nissan Navara
There are usage, ie if you do under a certain ammount then its tax free. Have a shot on google, that will bring all the details up.

Long term the "risks" of actually doing it are gunked up injectors/pump/etc.
The best/cleanest way if you can be arsed is to seperate the veg oil and make your own bio-diesel. This removes the glycerin, so 1) you dont have to thin it down with derv 2) doesnt pose a risk to any fuel system. Again google will bring up full details on doing this.

clio 172 cup
it has to be used cooking oil then filtered.
i run a wholesale food business and im paying £15 for 20l cooking oil, is it worth it?