ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in new engine

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about running in my new 1.2 16v Extreme. Ive been looking at Honest (??!!) Johns website (Telegraph motoring correspondent) and he recommends that within the first 1000 miles you should rev the engine to between 4000-5000 on occasions to ensure that "...the piston rings bed properly into the bores".

The car has only done 700 miles so far and I have taken it to 3500rpm frequently but no higher. Should I follow Johns advice and now rev the car up to 5000 on occasions?

If so, how long should would it take for the oil to warm up sufficiently so that Im not damaging the engine by revving to 5000rpm?

Also, does it matter what gear Im in when revving to 5000rpm? Is it better to do it in 1st, say, or doesnt it really matter?

Thanks

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

So long as its warmed up theres no reason why you shouldnt/cant take it into the outer regions of the rev counter.

Not quite the reply I was expecting, but thanks all the same!

Can someone explain why its important that "the piston rings bore properly into the bores"?

Sorry, that last post was for javascript openWin pop_up_profile.asp?profile=6188&ForumID=2 , profile , toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=370 ">hip_spasm!

Thanks Steve a, but how many miles do I have to cover before the engine or rather the oil is warmed up to enable me to take it to the limits?

Lionel Richie

you need to put load onto the engine so that the piston rings bed in properly and seal the bores fully, if you dont, and just potter around like youve been doing, you wont get true ring seal hence your car wont be as powerful as it should be

THRASH THE HELL OUT OF IT, YOU CANT BREAK IT!!!!!

172 Cup

Just to add when people say warm the car up they dont mean the coolant temp they mean the oil temp so dont assume that just because the temp gauge is showing half way after 5 mins that the engines warm enough.

tiTTy & SV650

i think rallying it might be a bit ott at first, let it warm up for maybe 10 minutes dont redline it at first, vary the revs a lot and use engine breaking.

mine keeps getting faster and faster, at 19,500 miles now and very well run in :)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Mines now done 100 miles... and ive been letting it warm up, and then push it occasionally, its tight as f*ck... but still shifts :D

tiTTy & SV650

yeah they are tight as fook at first hence you should be a bit more gentle when ure running it in. If you really rally it then youre possibly over stressing the metal as its wearing in.

Remapped derv Golf

Id say careful for the first 60 miles then go for it!

You catch gonna break as many laws in a 1.2 as you would in a 182 if you trash it.

I tried raggin the cup when it was new but always ended up doing 80 in a built up area! Big No No with the Met police!

172 Cup

Its a conspiracy. Renault only tell you to drive under 3500rpm aka slowly for 750 miles incase something falls of or rattles.

Its 2005. Technology has advanced. Just warm it up and drive it how you want.

You only get one chance to bed the rings in.. And that is within the first 100 miles or so.. But that means pretty much ragging it.. ie giving it some load..

The PDI manual for the Impreza STi states that the vehicle has a 20 mile hard test drive.. Why? To bed the Rings.. :D Always liked doing them! :devilish:

Thanks guys for all your replies.

Does that mean then that because I havent taken the car above 3500rpm and its now done 700 miles that it would be worthless taking it to around 5000rpm to ensure the piston rings are bedded in properly? In other words, have I missed my chance of having an A1 engine or would it still be worth running it at higher revs???

Mazda MX5 1.8

i drove mine slowly with not many revs (under 3.5k)

mind u i still do that most of the time and im on 17k lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

cane the balls off it.

If it breaks...which it wont, take it back to Renault...."fix my car please":D

--chris

500bhp Scoob

rag the sh*t out of it, your not keeping the car forever, and youve got warrentee anyway

Im sure the few miles it had on the clock when you got it werent taken below 3000rpm lol

Lionel Richie

put in 1st gear and keep the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor until the engine hits the limiter, change to second and repeat, then 3rd, then 4th

seriously get that car bouncing off the rev limiter ASAP

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

How high should I be able to take the revs on my 1.2 8 valve V reg clio? I have finaly decided in Sept I am getting a 182 with both packs in black or silver! :D

Lionel Richie

push the pedal to the floor and leave it there, the engine will hit its limiter (its there to protect the engine, so use it!!!!!!!)